Can I possibly be a wavy?

smileysjsmileysj Posts: 5Registered Users
Hello! I've been lurking and finally officially joined!

I'm Asian but never had stereotypical stick straight hair. Just like everyone else in my family, I had my hair thermally straightened or permed for a few years until recently I decided I wanted to see my natural hair. My last perm was in in January 2009, and since then (with some major help of biotin) I grew out my hair and had all chemically treated length cut off. And also cut out all sulfates and cones.

And this is what my natural hair looks like air-dried with no-product in it whatsoever (I don't know why it looks so red!):
1.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
I get random curls like the last picture here and there but rarely.

Do I have hope? I've been so busy past few months then I just wash my hair at night and put it up in a ponytail in the morning so I haven't had the time to "play" with it so much. But now that it's summer, I have more time on my hand and would really like to start experimenting with my hair!

Any advice/recommendations/thoughts are welcome! Thanks for reading!

Comments

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi there! I'm also Asian and my hair looks very similar to yours but slightly longer. My hair is very coarse and thick and slightly wavy. I've found using the right products encourage what little natural wave I have.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Your hair reminds me of my hair with nothing in it. :D So yep, there's hope!

You're already doing what my first advice would be....cutting out cones and sulfates. Since you're already doing that, I just want to add that as a wavy, a lot of us HAVE to use product (me included) to get really good curl definition and hold. My wurls are more flips with nothing in there, but depending on the products I use I can get a good solid 3A! It just varies. My hair looks its wurliest at about shoulder length....longer and the weight pulls out the curl, shorter (like now) and it's not long enough to truly show the pattern of curl I have. I have solid S shapes mostly throughout, with some large spirals here and there, and some smaller ones too.

Since you don't have a lot of time right now, my first suggestion is to start by leaving in some of your conditioner at night. That will start to really give your hair a boost of moisture and will help with curl formation even on days where you don't have the time or the inclination to do anything except pull it into a ponytail.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hollandcurlhollandcurl Posts: 47Registered Users
    Well my hair is also a lot like yours when I use no products or even before I went CG. It's all got to do with moisture, hair techniques and so on.

I'm 3 weeks into CG and have got some ringlets. Mostly at the bottom layers of my hair and even a spiral here and there. I cannot believe the transformation and could never have hoped that my hair could look like this.
    The top of my hair is still not so very wavy. But I’m hoping this will change as soon as my hair gets longer.
    2nd time CG since May 11th, 2011

Coarse hair, high porosity, normal elasticity, density thick

cowash: kruitvat conditioning
    condish: inecto coconut Condis, de tuinen cocos, dr orgnics, JC Aloeba
    leave in: KCNT, JC Aloeba, Inecto, de tuinen cocos
    Curlcreme: JCRR, JCCC, Boots, nut sure of CJ CCC. Like: KCCC when I use it with the smasters technique , boots and loreal studio line gel. JCRR, JCCC.
    Gel: loreal invisigel, or BRHG

Can only use KCCC with the smasters technique

LOVE: honey
  • mrsmaymrsmay Posts: 5Registered Users
    Well my hair is also a lot like yours when I use no products or even before I went CG. It's all got to do with moisture, hair techniques and so on.

I'm 3 weeks into CG and have got some ringlets. Mostly at the bottom layers of my hair and even a spiral here and there. I cannot believe the transformation and could never have hoped that my hair could look like this.
    The top of my hair is still not so very wavy. But I’m hoping this will change as soon as my hair gets longer.

+1

I've been mod CG for 1 1/2 months, and my waves are starting to catch up with my husband's 3a curls.
    Type: SL 2b/3a; wavier in back, curlier in front.
    Wash: Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Shampoo (mod CG), Burt's Bees Super Shiny Conditioner + honey, V05 Strawberries 'n Cream (co-wash)
    Styling: KCNT, LALSG, Aussie Sprunch Spray, LOOB, HESMU mousse, HETT spray gel, Biotera Curl Creme, GVP Volume Boost Spray, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream (LOVE)
    My hair loves honey, diffusing, and protein!
  • smileysjsmileysj Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling rather encouraged! :) I have been alternating between low-poo/co-wash for over 6 months now... guess it's time to start experimenting with styling products!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file