Locs?

ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
So, I am not a 4a but I have a question.

I've been looking into locs lately, I am not sure what kind they are but the really skinny ones (sister locs?)

Would locs work in 3a/b hair? I usually see it in 4a/b hair.

This is my hair. I am not sure if it will look right on me anywho. Close up of me.

How is the maintenance? Do you "loc" the new hair that grows in? Trim them? How is washing? And do you need to cut them off if you no longer want them?
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• newbraidernewbraider Registered Users Posts: 207
    I'm not a loc expert but here's what I do know about them. Hopefully, somebody will correct me if some of the info isn't right.

Any type of hair can be locked. I think it just takes longer the straighter the hair is. Some people avoid washing their hair because that keeps it from locking. I never really had this problem. Probably because I'm 4b.

People do tighten their locs as new hair grows in. You can do that by rolling the hair in the same way its already rolled or knotting it with a crochet hook.

To remove locs you can cut them or you can take them down. It takes patience to take them down but it can be done.

If you want to know how they look on you just put your hair in starter locs by twisting your hair. It takes awhile for locs to actually loc so they won't be a hassle to take down if you don't like it.
    Hair type - 4b :: Current Length - Zilch inches
    Umpteenth (+1) big chop - December 5, 2011
    Weight loss goal tracker :: Lost 12 pounds
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    newbraider wrote: »
    I'm not a loc expert but here's what I do know about them. Hopefully, somebody will correct me if some of the info isn't right.

Any type of hair can be locked. I think it just takes longer the straighter the hair is. Some people avoid washing their hair because that keeps it from locking. I never really had this problem. Probably because I'm 4b.

People do tighten their locs as new hair grows in. You can do that by rolling the hair in the same way its already rolled or knotting it with a crochet hook.

To remove locs you can cut them or you can take them down. It takes patience to take them down but it can be done.

If you want to know how they look on you just put your hair in starter locs by twisting your hair. It takes awhile for locs to actually loc so they won't be a hassle to take down if you don't like it.

Yes!!! My ex just started locking her hair...its is 4A, but just as silky textured as yours looks in the pic, Residual. The front of her hair is STRAIGHT! It is her second time around...she had a really hard time getting them to loc, b/c they would just unravel. I'm far from an expert, but I know that looser and/or silkier texts are generally harder to loc. I would guess it would help to use something like beeswax, but she didn't want to do that b/c of the buildup (plus hardly anyone uses that to loc these days). Her hair is really fine.
    comic-p.jpg
  • ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
    So, can I loc my hair myself? I have no idea how to do it, lol. I have a lot of hair as well. How does it look when taken out?

Shampoo - GTTTT
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose

So I am thinking about these kinds of styles.
    woman-cornrows.jpg
    cornrows_singles.jpg
    Because it isn't too permanent or damaging

Shampoo - GTTTT

• P.P.P.P. Registered Users Posts: 1,617 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure about sisterlocs(those are the super tiny ones?) but another way some places start the regular sized locks in straight and loosely curled hair is by adding hair or string to support the locs as they form.

It depends on how much of a purist you are about how they start. My hair is tight (type 4) but for some reason I had the worst time starting them and maintaining the first set. I tried the normal twists and coils but they'd puff out and wouldn't last through washings.

The last time I "got smart" & started them by adding afro-kinky bulk hair in a combination of braiding, and twisting (really more like wrapping) and taaadah, they were in! As it grew, for my puffy roots, instead of palm rolling or twisting then clamping and drying, I latchhooked the newgrowth. It was very secure and I didn't have to worry about the roots puffing and drooping when I washed it.

Your hair looks like my son's. If I were starting locks for him, I'd definitely braid & wrap in hair for a scaffold and to save headache. Some ppl are creeped out or vehemently opposed to any quick fix starts but IMO, it doesn't matter.

If you don't want OPH (other people's hair) then there's the string method but I'm not totally clear on how it's done.

HTH!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • P.P.P.P. Registered Users Posts: 1,617 Curl Neophyte
    Residual wrote: »
    woman-cornrows.jpg
    cornrows_singles.jpg

the braids are very cool but make sure they aren't done too tightly. Also, if you decide go for braids again, be sure to change the styling arrangement from time to time. (please see Susan L. Taylor, Stevie Wonder - traction alopecia)

I had cornrows done @ a Senegalese salon in the 90s and I took them out the next day, the tension & pain were so horrible. I should have spoken up more assertively as they were done but I trusted the braider when she said that was the way to do it.:sad6::error:

Years later, I tried again at a Liberian run shop and the style was nice (sort of Alicia Keys-esque) & not to heinously painful ... just the normal pop-a-few-Tylenols-for-2-days sort of braiding experience.

...Which isn't great either but I really wanted braids back then! Maybe ask around or search online for salon reviews before you go.
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Residual wrote: »
    woman-cornrows.jpg
    cornrows_singles.jpg

These are braids...are these the styles you're interested in? If so, they're very temporary! No worries on that! But I agree with PrincessPresto, if they're too tight, they're very painful. And IME if they're too loose, they unravel. I can't keep micro braids in worth a damn. But it also has a lot to do with the ability of the person doing the braids. A good braider can make them tight enough to hold, without making you cry in agony lol.
    comic-p.jpg
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    So, I am not a 4a but I have a question.

I've been looking into locs lately, I am not sure what kind they are but the really skinny ones (sister locs?)

Would locs work in 3a/b hair? I usually see it in 4a/b hair.
    Yes, you can have locs. It will probably just take your hair much longer to loc than other textures. On average it takes about 6 months to a year for your hair to loc. You may find it takes you longer than this.

This is my hair. I am not sure if it will look right on me anywho. Close up of me.

How is the maintenance?
    Sister locs are more maintenance than regular locs in my opinion (I've had both). With sister locks you have to get the roots retwisted with a special instrument. You either have to go to someone who does this or learn to do it yourself. BUT I will say that with your texture of hair, you may find that this method of locking works better for you because you will not just be twisting the hair, but kind of "sewing" it, which will keep it loced longer and your hair won't unravel as easily.

Do you "loc" the new hair that grows in?
    Depends on your hair. I never really had to loc my new growth, it would just loc on its own once my locs were about 3 years old. I still got the roots retwisted about once every 6 months for a neat look. But I would guess that you may need to retwist your roots more often to keep them looking neat and not fuzzy at the roots.

Trim them?
    When you have locs there is not need to trim or cut your hair unless you want to.

How is washing?
    Say goodbye to co washes. :toothy8: I didn't use conditioner when I had locs because it tends to make build up. You can shampoo with a shampoo bar or shampoo that doesn't have SLS and use oil to seal.

And do you need to cut them off if you no longer want them?
    You don't have to cut them once you decide you no longer want them. You can take locs down, but depending on your patience level (it takes some people MONTHS to take their locs down) you just might want to cut them. My locs were at the small of my back when I decided I no longer wanted locs and I knew before I tried that there was no. way. in. heyell. I was going to take the time to take all those locs down so I just cut them off. Still had a nice twa when I did.
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
    NubianCoils, thanks so much for that post, it was helpful (as were the others!)

I am still unsure about getting it done, I feel like it may be too drastic a change for me.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    No problem! Hope I helped a little. I love locs.:glasses1:

I would definitely say locs are a commitment. In my opinion, they would definitely not be considered a "style" that you do when you just want something different. They take way to long to acheive and require much to much patience to get rid of (unless you just cut them off) for them to be taken lightly. I did not think of my locs as a style. My mindset was - my hair is locs. Now I can wear my locs in whatever style I want (cornrows, curls, braids, updoes, etc.).

If you have any doubt at all - don't do it!:laughing2:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
    So I think I am going to attempt a two strand twist next time I wash. I am a bit nervous because I suck at sectioning my hair and I know it's going to take forever with my hair. How can I keep them twisted? Twirl the ends?

Shampoo - GTTTT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file