Thoughts please, on products line.

MochaTaiMochaTai Registered Users Posts: 197
I know that's it's part of the natural journey....finding products that work for your hair type.

Here is the question/comment that I have: I have noticed a trend on the swap boards of this site and others. It seems like there are a lot of people getting rid of MJ products. Is there a boycott of this line that Im unaware of? Or are people wanting to use more natural products (myself included).

I posted this in the 4a board because I want to hear from people with similar hair types/textures.
-Tai

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    I'm not boycotting the line. I choose to spend my money on products with better ingredients for less that work better than those higher prices.
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    All I have are thoughts because I've never used the MJ line of products.

I wouldn't say that there is a boycott of some type of informal fashion but I do think that people are paying attention to what they put on their skin and hair by looking at the ingredients and researching them. Perhaps the MJ frenzy is initially hype, which is why so many naturals flocked to their line. But after trying them and realizing that maybe the way their hair feels is not the best then thats why they are putting the stuff up for swap. When I went natural, MJ was one of the first product lines I was introduced to. I took one look at the prices and never looked back. I just don't believe that its worth the price.

I've spent a lot of money on natural products and I considered them to be of pretty nice quality, even the ones that I ended up swapping or selling. But I've never consideered the MJ products to be worth it.

I recently saw a youtube video by NikkiMae and she talks about why she doesn't mind mineral oils and petrolatum and sulfates. Did anyone else see that? I think she has a deal with Miss JEssies or something.lol. Thats just me spectulating.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • MochaTaiMochaTai Registered Users Posts: 197
    CocoT wrote: »

I wouldn't say that there is a boycott of some type of informal fashion but I do think that people are paying attention to what they put on their skin and hair by looking at the ingredients and researching them. Perhaps the MJ frenzy is initially hype, which is why so many naturals flocked to their line. But after trying them and realizing that maybe the way their hair feels is not the best then thats why they are putting the stuff up for swap. When I went natural, MJ was one of the first product lines I was introduced to. I took one look at the prices and never looked back. I just don't believe that its worth the price.

I've spent a lot of money on natural products and I considered them to be of pretty nice quality, even the ones that I ended up swapping or selling. But I've never consideered the MJ products to be worth it.

I recently saw a youtube video by NikkiMae and she talks about why she doesn't mind mineral oils and petrolatum and sulfates. Did anyone else see that? I think she has a deal with Miss JEssies or something.lol. Thats just me spectulating.

I just watched the vid on YouTube. I guess that some people with natural hair can handle products with mineral oils, petrolatum, and such. My hair can't anymore. I use to use MJ products years ago and they never gave me a problem. Now, my hair just looks dry and dead if I use the products. I guess my hair just cant handle it anymore. I have since gone back to more natural, moisturizing products.
    -Tai
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160

Yep we talked about it in this thread a while back
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=104559&page=5
    It was too coincidental to me that she posted that video a few days after that thread started getting hot. I generally like her YT videos, but there was something so condescending about her tone it annoyed me a little. I think sometimes the people that love Miss Jessie's take offense to those who don't like their products. MJ was the 1st product I came across when it first went natural too, and their prices also turned me away (along with that silkner mess). I think a lot of ladies issue with MJ is that they are promoting embracing natural hair but they want to turn our "kinks in to curls" and the owners both have silkners.

I've never use MJ and I don't plan on using it because I'm looking to use all natural products (not just hair products) plus they are working really well in my hair.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not 4a, but I started out with MJ and found it to be a sham for my hair and the ingredients frankly can be found in any local BSS with a 3.99 tag on it. Unfortunately for those companies, MJ has slicker marketing and the cojones to charge 58 bucks for the same product and people will buy it because it well-known and they publicize well. They will be rich for sure, but the integrity of the product and of the creators? Piss poor.

As for Blazes' comment, +1. Ingredients are everything and when you 1st get into the game you don't realize that-- those are the people IMO that MJ targets with the imagery and the false adverts (turning your kinks into something they aren't).

Anyway lemme stop. LOL!! The vultures may descend.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • empressriempressri Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    it doesn't work for some people so they get rid of it. awhile back on another board folks got rid of it and i stocked up!!!! lol cause hey it works for me.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • hotchocolatehotchocolate Registered Users Posts: 59 Curl Neophyte
    I like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink], because it gives my hair a nice, dry curly look. Sweet Back Treatment leaves my hair really, really soft.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    No boycotting. For me I use what works and has great price/performance ratio. I also don't use mineral oil so MJ and products with that ingredient don't make it into my shopping cart.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    No boycotting. For me I use what works and has great price/performance ratio. I also don't use mineral oil so MJ and products with that ingredient don't make it into my shopping cart.

+ 1 I used it when I first went natural and I loved it! Then my it started to dry my hair out, so I stopped. Plus, they seem to have MO in EVERYTHING now, so I pass on them. I think there's a lot of swapping going on with MJs b/c ppl are under the impression that it will alter their hair texture. When they see it doesn't, they get rid of it.
    comic-p.jpg
  • blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Registered Users Posts: 492
    For me personally it's about the price. I just can't afford their prices. Even if I could I am not fond of their ingredients. I like the products that I have so I won't be buying MJ any time soon.
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    why i don't buy miss jessie's products:

- they don't work for my hair
    - don't care for the scent
    - don't care for the ingredients
    - don't care for the price
    - don't care for the way they market their products or themselves
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the others; I definitely don't think there is a boycott, but perhaps MJ's didn't work for people how they wanted, so they're swapping it b/c it costs too much money to waste. I don't use MJ products because I'm not going to pay that much money for mineral oil and petroleum and cones, plus the whole silkener thing irks the heck outta me.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • qteeqtee Registered Users Posts: 163

I heard that too..my thing with MJ, for the prices I need natural ingredients..I mean their products dont do anything my $5 gel cant do...so give me something special for all the money I'm spending..
    Natural 3C
    My fav styer-Ecostyler olive oil gel

I luv Tressemme Moisturizing curls conditioner..

Olive oil and Argan oil are my fav oils..

http://public.fotki.com/liteskinqtee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file