Is Oil CG friendly?

Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi guys. I am new to CG and I just started CG not too long ago, and so far it has been fine. However, since the weather has been changing, I have found that the curl cream I use is too heavy and creates frizz even if I dilute it with water. I was thinking of using a little bit of oil after my hair has dried instead of cream. But is oil CG friendly?

Or is there another finishing product I can use after I apply gel and my hair has dried to moisturize and reduce frizz?
Hair pattern:Wavy
Texture: mainly coarse hair with some medium strands
Porosity: Normal and High porosity
Re-CGed (modified) April 2011
Cowash: Suave Ocean Breeze
Rinse Out: GF's Triple conditioner
Other products: HEBE and grapeseed oil
Occasional Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo

Comments

• moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    Hi guys. I am new to CG and I just started CG not too long ago, and so far it has been fine. However, since the weather has been changing, I have found that the curl cream I use is too heavy and creates frizz even if I dilute it with water. I was thinking of using a little bit of oil after my hair has dried instead of cream. But is oil CG friendly?

Or is there another finishing product I can use after I apply gel and my hair has dried to moisturize and reduce frizz?

Of course! As long as it is an actual oil, and not a silicone/oil blend or something similar. And mineral oil isn't CG, either. I smooth a little olive oil on my hair after my leave in, and as long as I keep my hands out of my hair, there is very little frizz when it dries. Hth!
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • jessielee1jessielee1 Posts: 42Registered Users
    As Moodydove said - yes oil is CG friendly :)

The only thing I would add, especially on a CG routine, is to be careful how much you apply to your hair. It should be just enough for the hair to absorb. I had a really unfortunate experience being a little bit too "olive-oil-happy" and it took two sulphate washes to get it all out. Was not a good look.
    3a on an eternal search for the perfectly imperfect curl!

Coarse hair/Low porosity

CG Journey began 8 Feb 2010.
  • Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies amd sorry for the delay in response.
    moodydove wrote: »
    Of course! As long as it is an actual oil, and not a silicone/oil blend or something similar. And mineral oil isn't CG, either. I smooth a little olive oil on my hair after my leave in, and as long as I keep my hands out of my hair, there is very little frizz when it dries. Hth!

Just to clarify, actual oils do not need synthetic ingredients.I saw this olive oil spray at the store, but it had cones in it for some reason so I was suspicious.

I have this sesame oil (for skin) from Neutrogena but it looks like it has other ingredients (no cones) so I guess it would not be CG?
    jessielee1 wrote: »
    I had a really unfortunate experience being a little bit too "olive-oil-happy" and it took two sulphate washes to get it all out. Was not a good look.

I could very well see myself doing that. :tongue3: I was wondering if the only way to get rid of excess oil is using shampoo with sulphate, or if I could use a non-sulphate shampoo?
    Hair pattern:Wavy
    Texture: mainly coarse hair with some medium strands
    Porosity: Normal and High porosity
    Re-CGed (modified) April 2011
    Cowash: Suave Ocean Breeze
    Rinse Out: GF's Triple conditioner
    Other products: HEBE and grapeseed oil
    Occasional Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to Neutrogena body oil too. I would not use that on my hair. I would just go to the food store and buy seasame oil and use that streight. I currently use Sweet Almond Oil (from the health food store). I love it, but now that's is summer I'm not needing it so much.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file