To waist length!!

RenaBananaRenaBanana Posts: 60Registered Users
Hi there! I saw that there was a specific thread for going to BSL, but nothing for waist length! So...I decided to make one. Anyone want to join me? I was thinking we could measure on the 1st of every month, using the LHC measuring method (I can explain it if need be).

I've been growing my hair out for a long time now, and am about 2 inches past BSL when pulled straight. Exactly at BSL when curly. Just sitting and not paying attention to my hair growth makes me feel like it's not going anywhere, and tempts me to cut it. Does anyone else feel this way?

OH, and isn't it SO FRUSTRATING that even though our hair looks pretty long when it hangs down our back, it looks like it's super short in the front because of our..ahem..."lady lumps?" :angry7:

Anyway, I hope some other people join in. :thumright:
Hair Type: 3a, iii, fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity

No-Poo: Suave Naturals
Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
Gel: KCCC
and...: Jane Carter: Nourish & Shine to help SOTC

Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/renabanana/
Password: sonic

Comments

• MissConstruedMissConstrued Posts: 323Registered Users
    I'll join, but I definitely won't make waist length for a few years. Just BC for the millionth time on May 12 (to 0.5inches) and my hair is now about 1.5 inches long. I don't know what LHC measuring is, so if you could explain it I'd really appreciate it.
    "The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."

Hair type: 3C
    I am a serial cutter :help:
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    I'm in though like missconstrued, I'm awhile off waist, I'm about shoulder length currently (shaved it last yr). It's my ultimate goal to get to waist.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • RenaBananaRenaBanana Posts: 60Registered Users
    Yay, welcome to the club! The method that LHC uses is you measure from your hairline, back over your head, and down to the longest end of your hair.

I pull my hair straight when I measure just to see how long it really is, but you don't have to.

I'm so impressed that you two are growing your hair out from such short lengths! I'll bet it felt amazing to be free of all of that damaged hair...:)

• asiajewel93asiajewel93 Posts: 25Registered Users
    Cool! I'm in.Waist is My overall hair goal legnth. I bc'ed by hair last sept. from BSL to Mid-Neck Legnth. My hair really needed it. It was loosing its curl from the damage and it was dry. Now im a little past Apl stretched, and almost Apl curly.
    OOOOOH THE SHRINKAGE!
    2c/3a F iii
    LowPoo:TREsemmes Nautrals
    CO:TREsemmes Nautrals & VO5 Silky Experiences Moisturizing Conditioner Champagne Kiss
    Gel:Herbal Ess. TT
    Leave ins:Yes to Tomatos Condish

BC: Sept 09
    Mini Goal:Apl Straight-Complete
    Mini Goal:Apl Curly-Complete
    Mini Goal:Bsl Straight-Complete
    Mini Goal:Bsl Curly
    Mini Goal:Waist Straight
    Mini Goal:Waist Curly
    I did the LHC way of measuring and when curly my hair is 20in but when stretched it's 23in :/
    My hair grows about an inch a month, so im hoping to be Waist in about 7 months (stretched)
    and questions for you guys: do you trim your hair?
    i really dont want to lose legnth, but i know it keeps your ends healthy...
    2c/3a F iii
    CO:TREsemmes Nautrals & VO5 Silky Experiences Moisturizing Conditioner Champagne Kiss

Hi asiajewel! As far as trimming goes, I've started trimming my own split ends. Basically what I did was go out and buy salon quality scissors (they are SHARP!), and every once in awhile I will "search and destroy" any split ends in my hair. This way I can go much longer between trims than I used to. It varies, but I go roughly once every 4-6 months depending on how my hair is feeling.

If you decide to do this, make sure that you get scissors specifically for cutting hair, and do not use them for anything else! They have to be very sharp, otherwise your splits will just come back. Make sure to cut perpendicular to the hair, and cut back enough to ensure there is no hidden split in the hair that you are missing (I cut about half an inch off when I notice a split).

HTH!

• CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Hey ya'll I created the BSL thread but i'd love to get to waist length So i'll be popping in every once in a while ;)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
    Yay! Welcome CurlyPolkaDot :D

Tomorrow is our first measuring day! Woooo!

• OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users
    I may pop in some too, I'm on the BSL thread as well, but my ultimate goal is waist :) I'm actually pretty close to shoulder when I stretch it out now, which is saying something since I wasn't terribly close before!
    Jessica, proud mama to Hunter (9-18-09)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, V05 Volumizing
    Conditioner: AOGPB, Garnier Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Suave Naturals Tropical coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Off-day spritz: Lavender mist
    Hair likes Obscene amounts of protein
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

http://public.fotki.com/OperaTeacherMom/hair-going-cg/

CG since 5/8/10
    Ok, since it's technically the 1st here, I'll chime in with my measurements :) According to the LHC measuring method, I'm at 16.5 inches, .5 from where I started not that long ago!
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
    Yay! Ah it's sooo nice to measure actual growth sometimes! I'm on campus right now so no measurements from me until I get home. Boooo.

I'm just wondering, what is the longest you guys have ever had your hair? My hair is currently longer than I've ever had it...APL was my limit in the past. And it was a big fluffy brushed out mess at the time D:

Mine has been at least BSL before, but I don't think I've ever gone longer. I never really cared much about my hair when I was young, and had no clue how to make it look good. My sister had slightly curlier hair than I did, so I was always jealous that mine was "just wavy". Now that I'm CG I have nice 3a curls, so maybe I can get the long ringlets I so wanted back then!

And irony of ironies, my sister straightens her hair pretty much all the time now :)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
    Ok, so here is my first measurement: 29 inches woo! So I'll be aiming for 29.5 to 30 next month.

OperaDiva, have you tried convincing your sister to try the CG method? My Summer vacation is coming up, so I'm going to try to get my mom into it. Her hair is SO super coarse. It's unbelievable.

Hello Ladies. Happy June! Measuring in today.
    I'm 21in today but its proably because i just washed it, so i don't have much curl.( is sulfate free shampoo okay?)
    It sucks because my legnth is so inconsistent! sometimes it looks APL and times it looks like its SL
    Oh, RenaBanana, i forgot to tell you, I have been apart of LHC for a few months, and i found out about S&D. I put my hair in a braid yesterday and noticed that my hair completely thinned out a quarter of the way down. It's pretty dramatic. It's like all my hair is a certain legnth except for a few wisps.
    Is this from S&Ding?
    what should i do?
    2c/3a F iii

Hi again asiajewel! :) I'm not sure what you were asking exactly in regards to the sulfate shampoo...do you mind elaborating?

As far as the thinning, oh man! I wouldn't think that S&D would have that much of an effect, unless you find yourself trimming a ton of hair every time you do it...Although, unless it is breakage then I'm not sure what it could be....hmm...how often do you S&D?

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I may be waist-length before haircut, trying to cut only once a year or so and it's past BSL with about 6 months to go. Although my hair seems to take cutting very seriously - when I didn't cut it, it grew like crazy but when I cut it it stays about the same for a long time. So maybe it will not grow.

Will certainly post pics if it ends up waist length before haircut and still looks good...

I do not have enough of anything in front to make my hair look shorter, the layers in front are shorter though.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'm at BSL curly right now. Waist is my next goal. Hip if my ultimate goal.
    Rena, I have talked to my sister a little about CG, she has been off sulfates and most cones for years, but fries her hair :( Not every day, she only washes it about every 3 like I do.
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
    i was just asking if washing my hair with sulfate free shampoo is still bad for my hair.
    I s&d at least once a week. Whenever i see a split, i sit down and snip for a few minutes.
    2c/3a F iii

I don't measure so much with a tape but take monthly photos of my progress (did miss last months though!) they are all up on my fotki. Nearly time for my june shot it's grown a heap!!! :D

• kurlykidkurlykid Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'll join! might take me a few years, though. my hair's bareeeely at bra length but it's so damaged at the ends that i'll be cutting it to just above shoulder length. i'm assuming it'll take me two or three years to grow it to waist while straight. I'm a 3C, so growing it to waist while CURLY will probably take me a hell of a long time.
    opera: haha, aww...so her hair is being treated halfway healthy I guess?

asia: I'm sorry, I'm not sure what to do really except for getting a trim if it bothers you :( It probably is from the s&d, although that is just a guess.

curlywurly: yay pictures! Everyone loves pictures

kurly: Welcome! Wow 3c hair at waist length would be so amazingly beautiful...:-o I'll bet it'll speed up near the end due to the shear weight of your hair pulling it down...right? Maybe? Hopefully? lol

Rena, yeah her hair does look pretty healthy, she keeps it a gorgeous reddish color with Natural Instincts. I've always been a bit jealous of her hair lol.

asia, I agree that if it bothers you pretty much your only solution is a trim, or keeping it in up-dos all the time until you're ok with a trim.

curlywurly, can't wait to see the pictures! I need to take some too.

kurly, welcome! I'm with Rena, I bet it will be GORGEOUS when it gets to waist length. If it's just the ends that are damaged, why would you cut it all the way to shoulder though?

As for me, I think I'm going to do yet another protein treatment and deep treatment tomorrow. My hair just drinks it up, it's nuts, it is so amazingly soft, but I still think it needs more.
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
    Ooh, what is it that you use for your deep treatment? I'm slowly slowly adding in the other aspects of hair care..and my next step is figuring out a good dt.

edit: Kurly, I agree with Opera, is it really damaged enough to need that much cut off?

ok, I've gotta ask lol...what does everyone prefer to be called? I like going by Rena (since it's my name, :P), and RenaBanana is fine too. Just for clarification, it's pronounced Rain-uh. Not Reeeen-ah or Renee. ;D In case you were wondering. lol

You can call me Jessica. Or Opera. Or pretty much whatever as long as I know who you're talking to ;)

I'm thinking my DT tomorrow will just be some conditioner with no protein with a bit of coconut oil mixed in. Nothing too fancy. My PT is madness though, has a boatload of different proteins in it, my hair loooooves protein. It has avocado, soy sauce, mayo, egg, honey, and a wee bit of coconut oil in it.
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
    So where are my waist growing ladies? I am already starting to feel like it's taking forever to grow, even though i've really only been growing it out for like a month LOL.
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
  • ThatMixedChickThatMixedChick Posts: 2Registered Users
    I plan on growing my hair to my waist. It'll take me a bit longer since I have relaxer still on maybe 1-2 inches of my hair. But that will be chopped off so my hair will be free bwahaha. Ahem, anyhow this is my current goal!
    Jessica - I'm still here... meant to be studying of end of semester exams *looks around suspiciously* will get to that soon. You can all call me Amelia or curlywurly - I'll answer to either. I started a growth photo time line thread awhile ago...which I've been slack with, missed last month. Feel free to join :D

I find it's best to just ignore your hair for awhile. Not neglect it, I still look after mine, with DT,PT etc just don't think about it's length for awhile. Most of the time I just tie mine back for uni or work and be done with it. I couldn't believe how much it grew in the 5 weeks I was at placement (in a hospital), didn't have time to think about it at all and then at the end of the 5 weeks I was amazed when I actually wore it out.

It sucks though, I am struggling again with my cg routine. My hair acts different at this length let alone without all the damage it had previously. I'm still experimenting with products and amounts to use *sigh*
    Just can't wait for it to be long!

• DominoDomino Posts: 287Registered Users
    I'm in! I started growing out from above shoulder lenght to waist 2 years ago. It's currently an inch past BSL when stretched, but shrinks 2 inches when dry. Waist lenght, on me, is 30 inches and currently I'm at 24 (wurly). Soo I have 6 inches to reach waist, which is something like a year. I hope to be waist by this time next year!

Good luck to everyone :angel11:
    :king: Priestess Brigit of the Moonlight Oracle in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :king:

Type: Mix of 1c/2c/3a , fine-ish medium, ii/iii, normal porosity
    Lenght: U-Shaped BSL
    Goal: Wavy and clumpy waist length hair
    Domino your hair is soo pretty! I can't wait til mine is that long, it'll probably look similar but a little less volume :)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file