Porosity

coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
Do you follow the rules of your hair's porosity? I just figured out what my hair porosity is and I want to see if the products that I'm currently using are going against the rules of the porosity, which is low porosity. Do you go by this rule of the whole porosity theory? If so do you think that it makes a difference in the way your hair looks and feels? I just learned about this before the post and I find it interesting. Thanks
:love1:3c/4a Hair
Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
BC: December 20, 2009
5yrs Natural
2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    coshun2003 wrote: »
    Do you follow the rules of your hair's porosity? I just figured out what my hair porosity is and I want to see if the products that I'm currently using are going against the rules of the porosity, which is low porosity. Do you go by this rule of the whole porosity theory? If so do you think that it makes a difference in the way your hair looks and feels? I just learned about this before the post and I find it interesting. Thanks

I follow the "rules" reguarding my hair's porosity. I really think knowing you hair porosity can absolutely help you find out what sort of products and care your particular hair need. Curly hair experts often state it as so.

And I know for an iron clad fact it has made a tremendous difference in how my hair looks, feels, and the overall health of my hair. Not to mention the CG (curly girl) method.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    +1. I'm big into following the rules of my porosity. Because having fine stranded low porosity hair is just begging to be greasified. Now that I know to stay away from heavy oils and butters, my hair and I are much happier!
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Agree, I definitely use porosity to decide which products I want. My hair is also low-med porosity, so I like water based stylers and usually save the heavier ones for sealing. Also...no more slathering coconut oil on my head at night...my pillowcase is a mess from that little experiment...
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • butterflibutterfli Posts: 178Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been researching the porosity of hair lately. Although I am unsure at what porosity my hair is, but is it possible for your porosity to change over time? If so what are the factors. Thanks in advance
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    I think that dying and other chemicals will cause your porosity to change. But I actually asked this question to JC over at the Natural Haven and she said that porosity is innate and generally will not change over time.
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    my hair and i know nothing about the rules of porosity and what products we should use. obviously, ive stopped researching hair info many moons ago since i've found products that work for me. LOL where is this info?
  • voluptucurlvoluptucurl Posts: 74Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm just learning about porosity and texture. I *think* my hair is very porous and coarse. I was told that I need to condition it as much as possible.

It seems like my hair doesn't do well with protein, but now I'm not sure, because it could be the other ingredients (like humectants) that cause my hair to spazz out.

But I really don't understand all the rules of porosity! It seems like my hair is a bit of a paradox. This is a big learning experience for me. :read2:
    Voluptucurl :cherry: Embracing the curl—no more hair fights: kinky-wavy, coarse, and very dry
    Last relaxer: Sept 2007 / BC: April 2008
    Nearly reformed product junkie; ayurvedic herb fan
    My regimen | Check out my blog
    I'm just learning about porosity and texture. I *think* my hair is very porous and coarse. I was told that I need to condition it as much as possible.

It seems like my hair doesn't do well with protein, but now I'm not sure, because it could be the other ingredients (like humectants) that cause my hair to spazz out.

But I really don't understand all the rules of porosity! It seems like my hair is a bit of a paradox. This is a big learning experience for me. :read2:

I should mention that one of the paradoxes is that my hair seems to be very porous, since it's rough when I run my fingers up it; however, it takes a long time to get thoroughly wet when I wash it. Strange or does anyone else who's highly porous have that problem?
    Voluptucurl :cherry: Embracing the curl—no more hair fights: kinky-wavy, coarse, and very dry
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    coshun2003 wrote: »

Personally, I feel that knowing your hair's porosity and texture are the only true ways to finding products for your hair and determining your hair's needs. This means that there are specific ingredients that help to maintain the health of your hair.

When I follow the "porosity theory" my hair looks and feels better. This also means that I can't "follow the crowd" no matter how popular or how positive the reviews are for the product.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • aubinaubin Posts: 286Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I should mention that one of the paradoxes is that my hair seems to be very porous, since it's rough when I run my fingers up it; however, it takes a long time to get thoroughly wet when I wash it. Strange or does anyone else who's highly porous have that problem?

Yep, I was having this issue too. But in my case I realized that my hair was actually really dry, which is why it was taking so long to get thoroughly wet. When my hair is very moisturized, then it wets much more quickly though it still doesn't get wet immediately. Because the hair is porous, it just needs to be moisturized more often and more thoroughly.

My hair also holds water for a long time, meaning that it takes forever to dry - around 12 hours for my chin length hair right now. I think this has something to do with porosity (and also texture and density), but I'm not sure what exactly. Maybe the highly porous strands allow lots of water/moisture in, maybe even too much, but then "leaks" it out slowly??? Is this totally crazy or can a porosity expert set me straight? One of the reasons I BC every few years is that when my hair gets around mid-back length, it takes up to two days to dry. Then I get stuck in this catch-22 of not wanting to wash my hair because it won't dry and not having enough moisture in my hair because I haven't wet it!
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • newmenewme Posts: 141Registered Users
    Can someone explain what the porosity rules are? I don't really understand it. I get that porosity relates to how well one's hair absorbs and retains moisture. What I don't understand is how you can tell what your hair's porosity is. In other words, what are the signs/symptoms of low, medium or high porosity? Also, once you know, how do you know what products will address those signs/symptoms? Thanks.
    newme wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the porosity rules are? I don't really understand it. I get that porosity relates to how well one's hair absorbs and retains moisture. What I don't understand is how you can tell what your hair's porosity is. In other words, what are the signs/symptoms of low, medium or high porosity? Also, once you know, how do you know what products will address those signs/symptoms? Thanks.

Newme, Struttswife has a really good entry on her blog about each level of porosity and how to test for it. Hope that helps!
    aubin wrote: »
    Yep, I was having this issue too. But in my case I realized that my hair was actually really dry, which is why it was taking so long to get thoroughly wet. When my hair is very moisturized, then it wets much more quickly though it still doesn't get wet immediately. Because the hair is porous, it just needs to be moisturized more often and more thoroughly.

My hair also holds water for a long time, meaning that it takes forever to dry - around 12 hours for my chin length hair right now. I think this has something to do with porosity (and also texture and density), but I'm not sure what exactly. Maybe the highly porous strands allow lots of water/moisture in, maybe even too much, but then "leaks" it out slowly??? Is this totally crazy or can a porosity expert set me straight? One of the reasons I BC every few years is that when my hair gets around mid-back length, it takes up to two days to dry. Then I get stuck in this catch-22 of not wanting to wash my hair because it won't dry and not having enough moisture in my hair because I haven't wet it!

You know, you're right. When I condition my hair often, especially if I regularly do pre-shampoo treatments, it does get wet quicker. Hmm. I should be more diligent with my routine.

Wow! I've never had trouble with my hair taking so long to dry--that must be maddening. Did you try plopping at the longer lengths?
    aubin wrote: »

Wow! I've never had trouble with my hair taking so long to dry--that must be maddening. Did you try plopping at the longer lengths?

My last BC was before I discovered these hair boards so I knew nothing about plopping or other strategizes for drying long hair without heat. I basically would have the drippies for most of the first day, then damp hair for another day or so. If I tried dabbing with a towel, my hair would be frizz city. But now that I know better, I'll have some strategies when my tresses grow back in. :D
    3c/4a OS curls
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was wondering if anyone else has a mixture of porosity. I know a lot of people have different curl types (which I do.) But my hair in the back soaks up water like a sponge and stays wet a long time. Water beads up on the rest of my hair and dries relatively quickly. Sometimes I have to rewet it so I can finish twisting.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    I'm confused again. I thought I have overly porous, coarse hair, but I read that using protein on it this type could dry it out more. Yesterday, I used a product with silk protein but it really softened my hair instead of drying it. Perhaps that's because it's silk protein and not another type of protein.

One more hair mystery for me to figure out.
    adthomas wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone else has a mixture of porosity. I know a lot of people have different curl types (which I do.) But my hair in the back soaks up water like a sponge and stays wet a long time. Water beads up on the rest of my hair and dries relatively quickly. Sometimes I have to rewet it so I can finish twisting.

I think I have a mixture of porosity too. My hair in back (coarse 3c) takes FOREVER to get wet then will dry in a heartbeat if I don't seal it quickly enough. My hair on the top and in the front (mostly coarse 3c with some medium 4a patches around the hairline) soaks almost immediately, holds water fairly well and stays wet for a while, too long usually. This translates into the hair in back usually being frizzy, wiry and extremely dry (but big) while the hair in front is somewhat dry but moisturizes more easily and has more of silky rather than wiry texture (which also means it's flatter with less volume :sad:). I'm still not sure what this all means in terms of porosity - which section is high porosity and which is low?
    3c/4a OS curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file