Garnier--CG Friendly?

My mom just bought a new conditioner because I begged her to get a stronger one (I was using Suave--Milk and Honey, and my 3B/3C curls needed a little bit more moisture, especially in these winter months). She bought me a Garnier conditioner, Sleek and Shine. I was curious and thought I'd ask if it's CG-Friendly? I tried it last night, and my hair didn't look the same in the morning.
3B/3C, thick, biracial curls
Modified CG
Loving my Coconut Oil
Scouting for the best straightener

Comments

• one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    No it has amodimethicone, but thats a very easy to remove silicone. You can get rid of it with cocobetaine. (Activate makes a good shampoo with this thats CG friendly) A lot of people don't get build up from it. I would use the whole bottle, and if you get build up, use a CG shampoo to get it out.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    Well if you consider DevaCurl stuff CG then GF SCC and S&S and C&S conditioners both the rinse out and leave ins are CG. It's the same cone in all of them but in GF it's higher on the list.
    Some people can handle that one better than others, it depends on your hair. I can no poo or low poo that one out just fine.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    I just read in "Google answers" that amodimethicone together with trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride will not build up. I think that is good news for those looking for a CO that will offer some frizz control!
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    Exactly! I swear I thought I was going to lose my mind before I found something that worked really well consistently without having to blast it off with a sulfate.
    2c/3a?

Hmm, I just looked at the list of ingredients of the one for normal hair and noticed LaurylmethiconeCopolymer... I don't think that one is soluble, bummer!

BUT I still remember that Aveda article pretty well which said substances called terpenes, present in extra virgin olive oil and most essential oils, break down 'cones and plastic resins in gels and hair sprays. If anyone has doubts about this just think of "Goo-gone" which is mainly made of citrus oils.

So a great "clarifying" DT could be made out of mixing 1-2 tablespoons of EVOO and several drops of a couple of different e.o. The hair should be covered by a plastic shower cap or plastic wrap and then a moist warm towel wrapped around it and left on for 20 mins. and removed either with a mild shampoo or "Lemon-Aid" (lemon juice "cuts" oils).
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• UnrulyCurlsUnrulyCurls Registered Users Posts: 33
    Thanks so much for the replies!

Yes, I think I'll have to finish the bottle, unless my sisters use it up before me. I used the conditioner yesterday morning, and my hair turned out horrendous. I think I'll have to make my own conditioner until this bottle is all gone.
    3B/3C, thick, biracial curls
    Modified CG
    Loving my Coconut Oil
    Scouting for the best straightener
    After reading the Laurabeth's review on 2 Fructis COs I doubt they'd be a good choice at all. And now I remember that a couple of years ago my daughter bought one and I tried it and my hair was not impressed at all.

• one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    Yes, Laurabeth33 said the leave-ins were a lot better than the rinse outs
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
    I happen to like the curl and shine rinse out too. My hair is really frizz free and the curls lay so nicely with it. I generally use it with the curl and shine leave in. The soft curl creme is good too but so far I'm not crazy about their gels.
    Oh oh and the 3 minute mask, the one with the green lid my hair loves.

I don't know exactly what it is about these particular products my hair loves but it does.
    I know another CG that uses the sleek and shine rinse out and the leave in. It does have more slip and a bit more moisture.
    2c/3a?

• CelticCurlsCelticCurls Registered Users Posts: 558
    The leave-ins are even better than the rinse outs, but the rinse outs perform very, very similarly to One C, which I've used for years. As always, I'm chiming in w/ medusa on GF condnrs: luv 'em! No build up, no dryness at all after a solid year of use. I agree wtih LB's reviews 80% of the time, but the GF is an exception.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file