Swimming Routine

Happy almost-June, everyone! Happy almost SUMMER!!!

I love summer. I love the intense heat. I go swimmming every day. Luckily, my family has a pool in our backyard so that makes it possible :)

Before I went CG, I never realized that it would have a bad influence on my hair.

My hair has come such a long way, and I don't want to reverse the results.

So, my dear curlies, I would like to know what to do to protect my curls from being damaged. Right now, I know to wet my hair before I go in, so I've been doing that, and putting a little conditioner in before, because I read that somewhere. Is there anything else I can do to protect my hair? My pool is a saltwater pool, does that change the routine at all?

Thanks in advance!
Curl type- 3a, medium texture, high porosity
Co-wash- Suave Naturals Coconut
Conditioner- BedHead Moisture Maniac/ Burt's Bees More Moisture (trying to find something better)
Style- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Honey (sometimes)
Deep Conditioner-Burts Bees
Methods- Icequeen, Plopping (overnight & straight after shower)

Trying to grow out hair for Locks of Love!

Comments

• anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    I just found this article on protecting your hair:

http://www.brazilian-bikinis.org/infoprotecthair.html

For salt water:
    Protect your hair before going in by applying a deep conditioner. Immediately after, rinse your hair in apple cider vinegar, then with club soda. The carbonation will lift excess salt and chlorine out.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    I swim year round. One would think that my hair would be fried, but it really isn't. However, I try to be as careful as I possibly can.

Before putting on my swim cap, I soak my hair with fresh water and sometimes add conditioner (sometimes I don't b/c the conditioner makes my hair slick and then the cap slides off when I do flip turns). When I finish swimming, I run right into the shower and rinse with copious amounts of fresh water and then condition right away.

When I was shampooing I would use a shampoo like Ouidad's Water Works, but CO works just as well as long as there is a lot of rinsing and agitation going on.
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    Not a little of conditioner, you should be LOADING your hair with it before plopping on the swim cap.

Use a shampoo/cleanser with chelating agents. I particularly like Daily Fix by Curl Junkie and it cleanser that removes all the gunk fairly well while keeping my hair conditioned.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list