Rough, but not split, ends?

moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
Hey, my neighbor is on the phone with me right now, and she's complaining that her ends are pretty rough, but not split. Should she cut them, or try moisturizing like crazy for a while to see if it help? Btw, she used to be a compulsive straightener. Thanks!
Big chop: 5/30/10
CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
Cleanser: Bentonite clay

Comments

• aubinaubin Posts: 286Registered Users
    Rough ends are what happens to me when my hair gets really really dry, especially if I've had a protein overload. She should try heavy moisturizing first before reaching for the scissors.
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • goodbyegoodbye Posts: 79Registered Users
    I would just cut them off and baby them after that.
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    Deep Condition...Baggy
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • ............ Posts: 102Registered Users
    ACV rinse...but she'll prolly just have to cut it... im just taking a guess, but her hair cuticles might be the problem... :dontknow:

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Old ends can start feeling that way after awhile. She can trim them off, which is likely the best thing(if it bothers her too much), or she can try doing DT's w/o protein first because if her hair is generally healthy, protein should be used in moderation.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    Thanks for all the replies! I directed her to this thread (recruiter at heart), and I think she either joined or lurks. =)
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
  • katblackkatblack Posts: 74Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's great! Friend, if you are here even just as a lurker, I would just leave your ends alone and do 1/4" trims every couple of months(2-3). I suspect that the roughness may be from infrequent deep treatment(moisture/protein balance key) and also from single strand knots.
    Visit my youtube page:
    http://youtube.com/user/brollykat123

Follow me on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/brollykat123
  • mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    aubin wrote: »
    Rough ends are what happens to me when my hair gets really really dry, especially if I've had a protein overload. She should try heavy moisturizing first before reaching for the scissors.

2nd^^^^
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with deep conditioning, and she may want to change her moisturizer/products. Sometimes products don't distribute moisture to my ends, and they end up looking raggedy or I get single strand knots.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    I agree. She should try the baggy method before cutting the ends. Her ends might not receive enough moisture during her hair regimen.
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try moisturizing them. My ends are a bit rough now and I'm due for a cut on 6/19 - last one was mid-March - 14 weeks? Burdock Root butter cream works for me, as does Afroveda Curl Define, Loma Imply mixed with shea butter, or Botanical Spirits Kinky Coils pudding.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Try moisturizing them. My ends are a bit rough now and I'm due for a cut on 6/19 - last one was mid-March - 14 weeks? Burdock Root butter cream works for me, as does Afroveda Curl Define, Loma Imply mixed with shea butter, or Botanical Spirits Kinky Coils pudding.
    Off topic. How did you like the Botanical Spirits curl tamer conditioner?
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    it also just might be the texture of the coils when you stretch them--- my boing boing curls will always feel a little rough at the end when I try to pull and smooth them out. I think it's just the nature of my hair texture. I've just come to accept that my hair will never be relaxer smooth and even at the tips.
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

I love everything about it except the smell. It's a fabulous deep conditioner but the smell of acetic acid lingers on my hair. I contacted Redgine and she said she had dialed it down with lemongrass, so I bought another trial size. We shall see.

I also bought the soft curls cream. Also the avocado coconut milk butter as the first ingredient is slippery elm. The soft curls cream works on my wet or dry hair. Milk butter is nice too -- a little waxier than burdock root butter cream.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    cassadie3 wrote: »
    it also just might be the texture of the coils when you stretch them--- my boing boing curls will always feel a little rough at the end when I try to pull and smooth them out. I think it's just the nature of my hair texture. I've just come to accept that my hair will never be relaxer smooth and even at the tips.

Her hair is actually more wavy than anything (I think her hair is 2c with 3a potential, now that she's stopped the flat ironing), but a lot of the ladies on the 4a board have conquered dryness. But I it can be the same with waves, right? The never feeling perfectly smoothing.
    I love everything about it except the smell. It's a fabulous deep conditioner but the smell of acetic acid lingers on my hair. I contacted Redgine and she said she had dialed it down with lemongrass, so I bought another trial size. We shall see.

I also bought the soft curls cream. Also the avocado coconut milk butter as the first ingredient is slippery elm. The soft curls cream works on my wet or dry hair. Milk butter is nice too -- a little waxier than burdock root butter cream.
    Thank you! I e-mailed her about replacing the beeswax with a vegan wax in the milk butter. She said she has gotten numerous requests and she will change it in future batches or leave it out altogether. Sound like she should leave it out since it is waxy.
  • dmarie21dmarie21 Posts: 213Registered Users
    I have this same issue. Last night I tried putting Giovanni Direct LI on the rough-feeling ends and it smoothed them out completely. Perhaps moisture is the key?
    My Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/dmarie21/
    Porocity: totally sinkable
    Texture: fine to med fine (stand size pic)
    Products I Like: Qhemet--Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm mixed with Burdock Root Cream, Vatika, apple cider vinegar rinse, Baba de Caracol, CON Argan shampoo
    Searching For: better understanding of what my hair is all about

Thank you! I e-mailed her about replacing the beeswax with a vegan wax in the milk butter. She said she has gotten numerous requests and she will change it in future batches or leave it out altogether. Sound like she should leave it out since it is waxy.
    I love the waxiness of it! I hope she doesn't change it.
    comic-p.jpg

I love the waxiness of it! I hope she doesn't change it.
    she said a lot people have asked her to change to another vegan friendly wax and she will do so in about 2 months or so. Maybe u can ask her to keep the original formula. Peronally, I'm allergic to beeswax.
  • aubinaubin Posts: 286Registered Users
    dmarie21 wrote: »
    I have this same issue. Last night I tried putting Giovanni Direct LI on the rough-feeling ends and it smoothed them out completely. Perhaps moisture is the key?

Giovanni Direct has protein, so it's probably the protein in that product that smoothed out your hair.
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Posts: 248Registered Users
    I think I have this problem. My ends feel rough, almost knotty...and they look bushy, not curly. I've been moisturizing like crazy with butters, oils, conditioners...nothing's really helped. I'm trying to retain length and not trim until January...but I'm worried that it's not really working the way I planned. I've been applying ayurvedic pastes on the regular and I DC afterward. What am I doing wrong? I've been trying to avoid a trim....but I don't think I can hold out much longer. Any other advice? Does baggying on a consistent basis really work for repairing rough ends? I may take a picture this week and post it. Maybe what I'm thinking are rough ends are actually split ends.
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    ^^ Same here. But i think mine was a moisture problem, because i've recently started to up my moisturizing and sealing and my ends are looking better. :)
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I have this problem. My ends feel rough, almost knotty...and they look bushy, not curly. I've been moisturizing like crazy with butters, oils, conditioners...nothing's really helped. I'm trying to retain length and not trim until January...but I'm worried that it's not really working the way I planned. I've been applying ayurvedic pastes on the regular and I DC afterward. What am I doing wrong? I've been trying to avoid a trim....but I don't think I can hold out much longer. Any other advice? Does baggying on a consistent basis really work for repairing rough ends? I may take a picture this week and post it. Maybe what I'm thinking are rough ends are actually split ends.

I have a similar bushy patch too. In my case I know it's some kind of damage. I'm just going to trim it out slowly and keep it moisturized so I don't lose much length. I did several self trims in that area already and it's looking better.

I never tried bagging so I can't answer that question but sealing on a regular basis did turn my ends around dramatically.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Posts: 248Registered Users

I have a similar bushy patch too. In my case I know it's some kind of damage. I'm just going to trim it out slowly and keep it moisturized so I don't lose much length. I did several self trims in that area already and it's looking better.

I never tried bagging so I can't answer that question but sealing on a regular basis did turn my ends around dramatically.

It's all of my ends. I haven't had a perm since Jan 09 and I'm pretty sure I've trimmed it all off by now.

Maybe that's what it is...relaxer still wrecking havoc in my life. I've been moisturizing and sealing like crazy...so I should see some change. I wasn't planning on trimming until January but I think I need a little nip :(
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • aishamodelaishamodel Posts: 136Registered Users
    I don't think it's necessary to reach for the scissors. I mean, I think her ends just need a little more concentration. This happened to me a few months ago. I started focussing more on the ends when using moisture products, and condishs, and I noticed a big change. If the ends are dry why cut them? They are just dry not damaged. Ends are prone to dryness. Also, I tried less manipulation on my ends and protective styling, so it can lock in the moisture. Some water, moisterizing lotion or shea, and seal it in with jojoba and she should be ok. Just keep at it, and try Deep condish twice a week, focusing on the ends.
    4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
  • KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Posts: 439Registered Users
    My ends were doing really well until yesturday -__-''
    I wore my hair in an out style: it's called the Cinna-Bun style on youtube-- and it drizzled yesturday. I had Shea Moisture Leave In and sealed with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil. But after that rain, my hair felt hard, rough and dry. So for now I have conditioner (Aussie Moist) with a plastic cap on. I'm really prone to single strand knots, so after I moisturize I was gonna do twists and snipe the ends each one individually

I know this is off topic but kinda still in the same discussion. If anyone can offer suggestions or advice, thanks
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte

It's all of my ends. I haven't had a perm since Jan 09 and I'm pretty sure I've trimmed it all off by now.

Maybe that's what it is...relaxer still wrecking havoc in my life. I've been moisturizing and sealing like crazy...so I should see some change. I wasn't planning on trimming until January but I think I need a little nip :(

It may be but I just read this from KimmayTube's channel.
    If you have bushy ends, the reason is because your cuticles are lifted. Now that I have a control and an understanding of pH balance, I no longer have that problem when twisting/braiding my hair etc. When I braid or twist my hair and apply my acidic mixture to it, the ends of my hair are smooth, not bushy and flared out like a broom. I kind of stumbled upon this when I started paying more attention to the pH of the products I add to my hair.

Always keep in mind that the ends of your hair is the OLDEST part. They will dry out the fastest and therefore the cuticles must be encouraged to remain closed.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file