What Shampoo to use? How to co-wash...

UnrulyLionUnrulyLion Registered Users Posts: 61
Hey curlies,

I'm wondering what shampoos everyone uses. I'm currently using Aussie Moist but I want to see if I can find other shampoos so I can switch it up. Also, for those who go 'cone free, what do ya'll use?

Sidenote: I don't think I'm co-washing right (which is why I don't anymore). After I do it, my hair just doesn't "feel" clean. When I do it, I wash as if I were doing it with shampoo (scrub, scrub, scrub, rinse, etc). Am I doing it wrong? :sad8:
http://members.fotki.com/UnrulyLion/about/ *I update this about every 2 seconds :shock:*

Type: 3c
Texture: Fine
Density: Medium
Porosity: Low (my hair dries, literally, in minutes)

I love shea butter and shea butter loves me :sunny:

event.png

event.png

Comments

• KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Registered Users Posts: 439
    Thats the same reason why I dont co wash anymore. I used to do the same thing (scrub scrub scrub, rinse, etc...) and my scalp was still dirty.... maybe there's an art to this? But dont worry, one of the lovely ladies here on NC would come to your rescue :wink:

I'm currently using Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo because its sulfate free. But I dont like it very much. Thats just my opinion. It makes my hair feel a little.... idk... but my hair made a squeaky noise.

However I'll keep using it cuz my $8 aint goin down the drain..... :hmph:
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Registered Users Posts: 679
    Same with me, I did try the co-washing thing but it just didn't work for me. I think the thing about co-washing is that you have to do it a lil more frequently than a regular poo or low-poo wash.

I typically go 4+ days in between washes so by the time I wash my hair it's 'dirty' and I would need something to cleanse my scalp rather than just provide moisture....

The shampoos that I use are:

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose

Yes To Carrots
    (my new fav! Although I don't use it EVERY time I shampoo)

Carols Daughter Black Vanilla & Tui Shampoo

HTH
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Registered Users Posts: 384
    I just say no to 'cones and I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo. My scalp oils itself quite nicely (wish it fell past the first 1-2" of my hair) and gets itchy so I feel like it needs shampoo, but my hair is too dry for sulfates. I often do the brown sugar scrub thing with both the TJTTT shampoo and conditioner because I get buildup. I like as much friction as possible for my scalp.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • maysaymaysay Registered Users Posts: 218
    My main shampoo is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and I use it about 2x a week. It's gentle, sulfate free, and gets the job done. I also use Jason's Dandruff Relief about once a month now to keep my dermatitis under control.

I can't cowash either...my scalp can't get clean that way and it throws my dermatitis into overdrive.

• capricapri Registered Users Posts: 56
    karen's body beautiful conditioning shampoo works well for me. my scalp feels clean but my hair still feels moisturized after a shampoo. it lathers well so you only need a little and its made of natural ingredients.
    Style: Twists as protective style for winter, occassional bantu twist outs.
    Weekly: Preepoo w/ rosemary water, honey, coco oil and castor oil. Wash w/ KBB conditioning poo, condition with KBB moisturizing conditioner. Twist with KBB Sweet Ambrosia, Shea and dab of castor oil.
    Monthly:KBB Luscious Locks DT. Terressentials detox left hair significantly softer and shinier, now use to wash once every 2 months.
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Registered Users Posts: 1,329
    Right after I BCd, I use to cowash during the week and shampoo on the weekend. At this moment it seems like I rarely every shampoo (in fact, although I plan to shampoo this weekend, as of today I can't even remember the last time I used shampoo). Either way, I don't scrub my hair whether using shampoo or conditioner. Also, I don't think you have to cowash any more often than with shampoo. During lazy stretches, I've been known to go an entire week without cowashing and my hair felt fine.

My favorite shampoo is Kinky-Curly Come Clean. I also like Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo. I primarily use VO5 Moisture Milks to cowash.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    i use suave naturals to shampoo. yup, it has sulfates. yup, it feels better to my hair than any natural, non-sulfate shampoo i've ever used. i can't get down with the dry, stripped feeling those shampoos left me with...:sad1: just like some folks still use cones, i'm still using sulfates. i've tried aubrey organics, trader joe, some other lines from wholefoods... they all left me with stripped feeling, dry hair, felt like it was about to crack hair.

my colgate toothpaste that my dentist recommended has sulfates. ;-)

i don't have a set regimen. i mostly cowash but when/if i notice build-up, i shampoo. i use lots of heavy butter, no cones tho... so i get build-up sometimes.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    I read on a different board that since conditioners don't have harsh surfectants, as you're rinsing it out, you have to scrub your scalp and hair under the shower in order to get the dirt out. When I first went natural and did co-washing, my hair didn't really feel very clean, but after I read that tip, my hair feels clean after co-washing and never feels dry or stripped. In fact, I only use shampoo about once or twice a month to remove any buildup, but many of the sulfate free ones leave your hair as dry and stripped as the SLS ones do. I use the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo for now, but I'm not crazy about it. I love their conditioner though.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    I started using cones so I now shampoo. My favorite and only shampoo is KC Come Clean. It doesn't have sulfates, but I was told it can still get rid of the cones in the HE conditioners I use. When I co wash I use a conditioner that kind of "lathers up" so I feel like I'm washing. I either use Trader Joe's Moisturizing conditioner or HE LTR conditioner.
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Registered Users Posts: 199
    I really like Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo.
    :love1:3c/4a Hair
    Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
    BC: December 20, 2009
    5yrs Natural
    2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary
  • goodbyegoodbye Registered Users Posts: 79
    I only wash with Giovanni's Smooth as Silk Shampoo; and as for co-washing, I only apply the conditioner to the length of my hair. I ignore my scalp.
  • SoulfulSistaSoulfulSista Registered Users Posts: 159 Curl Neophyte
    Like others have posted, I tried going the no poo route, but it wasn't working for me. My hair looks and feels its best when I use conditioners that have silicone. So, that means I have to use shampoos to get the silicones out. When I switched to silicone free conditioners, I still felt like my hair wasn't getting clean enough. For shampoos, I use Aveda's Dry Remedy. It doesn't contain SLS or ALS which can be pretty drying to the hair. This shampoo gets my hair/scalp clean but doesn't leave my hair dry.
    Finally 100% natural. I'm embracing my curls.

Blog: http://www.soulfulsista.net
    Fotki: http://www.fotki.com/soulfulsista
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/thesoulfulsista

comic-p.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    For every 2-4 cowashes, I do a shampoo since I now use products with silicones. I co-wash with GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning balm and shampoo with All-Nutrient ClarpHX Clarifying shampoo. It has no sulfates.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Thats the same reason why I dont co wash anymore. I used to do the same thing (scrub scrub scrub, rinse, etc...) and my scalp was still dirty.... maybe there's an art to this? But dont worry, one of the lovely ladies here on NC would come to your rescue :wink:

I'm currently using Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo because its sulfate free. But I dont like it very much. Thats just my opinion. It makes my hair feel a little.... idk... but my hair made a squeaky noise.

However I'll keep using it cuz my $8 aint goin down the drain..... :hmph:
    I think it has a mild surfactant in it.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I alternate between HairVeda & AfroVeda shampoo bars, and I also have [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink]. I find the poo bars more moisturizing than the Come Clean.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    I alternate between my Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Bar and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]KC Come clean[/buylink]. I only cowash when I feel like my hair needs that at that moment (clean scalp but dry ends).

I rarely scrub and build up a heavy lather unless it's really coated with something so shampooing doesn't dry me out that much..
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • UnrulyLionUnrulyLion Registered Users Posts: 61
    Thanks for all your suggestions, girlies! I will be doing some research on the products you guys mentioned to see if I can dabble in other shampoos. I will also attempt to co-wash in the near future :thumbup:
    http://members.fotki.com/UnrulyLion/about/ *I update this about every 2 seconds :shock:*

Type: 3c
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium
    Porosity: Low (my hair dries, literally, in minutes)

I love shea butter and shea butter loves me :sunny:

event.png

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file