Do butters go bad?

kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
i just received my order of afroveda's hemp seed lock twist & roll butter & i cannot take the scent. i don't know if that's just how frankincense & myrrh smells or if i got a bad batch.

i'm not usually scent sensitive at all, but this stuff smells pretty terrible. anyone else have this problem?
fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
-- Gloria Steinem

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thats how strong its scented. Sometimes are batches have more fragrance than needed
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Like most things, everything has a shelf life. Depending on the ingredients, most are generally stable unless other ingredients are added(water-based).

But most products scented as frankincense & myrrh are pretty strong, imo.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Butters can go bad, but I have seen a lot of threads that reference the smell of that butter, so it's probably how it smells.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    AV uses TOO MUCH SCENT in her products. So yes, the hemp seed butter smells like that--quite unfortunate that it's too strong, because it is an excellent product.

butters do go bad. shelf life of butters and oils will be indicated on websites that sell raw ingredients. I think shea and mango are 2 years? Adding an anti-oxidant like vitamin E or ROE (rosemary oleoresin extract) can extend shelf life of butters and oils
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    if it smells like like shea amla then yuck. that is the stinkiest frank & myrrh i have ever sniffed.:tongue4:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    thanks everyone! i'd heard that this stuff smelled bad, but good lord is it AWFUL. like i said, i'm not scent sensitive so i thought i could handle it, but i can't. i advise anyone with a working nose not to buy this stuff.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• Truqueen01Truqueen01 Posts: 202Registered Users
    I had contemplated swapping mine but by the time I got around to it the scent dissipated just a little (at least to me). I hate wasting product so I used it for a twist out with the whipped gelly & my hair loves it. Of course, the stinkier the product the more my hair seems to like it (i.e. Aubrey Organics White Camelia, ughh!).:silent:
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    Truqueen01 wrote: »
    I had contemplated swapping mine but by the time I got around to it the scent dissipated just a little (at least to me). I hate wasting product so I used it for a twist out with the whipped gelly & my hair loves it. Of course, the stinkier the product the more my hair seems to like it (i.e. Aubrey Organics White Camelia, ughh!).:silent:
    did the scent linger after you were done styling? i still want to try this product, but not if i'm going to be smelling frankincense & myrrh for days.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

-- Gloria Steinem

• Truqueen01Truqueen01 Posts: 202Registered Users
    @ Kalane. It lingered to me but not as strongly as when first used. Now I always layer with the pur whipped gelly that smells good & am able to tolerate it. FAB hair makes it more tolerable (bad I know).
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    AV's website says their butters have a 9-12 month shelf life regularly. I hate the smell of her Frank & Myrrh products so I apply them at night to give the scent time to dissipate.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file