Glycerin and red hair dye

CakesyCakesy Registered Users Posts: 49
I dye my hair red, not shockingly red, but a natural looking light auburn. I just read an article that said glycerin can fade red dyes. Glycerin is in most of my products.
Can anyone share some real life experience with the use of glycerin products on dyed red hair?

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I color my grey back to my natural strawberry blonde, and haven't noticed any extra fading due to glycerin.

Oh, and I also get slightly darker lowlights, and they seem unaffected as well.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Glycerin will knock the crap out of my red hair dye. I don't use it at all in the first two weeks after color, and I try to keep it limited to non-existent the rest of the time.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    !!!!

How come this doesn't happen to me?
    I don't know. I'm going from blonde to red. Maybe since you have a blonde-red it makes a difference?

I had serious fade once, and my stylist asked me if I was using glycerin. Curl Junkie had a honey-butter leave-in at the time that had a lot of glycerin, and I was using a lot of that. He told me to stay away from the glycerin, and the honey too. I went to him not only with faded red, but a blonde lighter than my natural shade from the honey. As a blonde, I'm more prone to honey lightening though.

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    My red/auburn color also fades significantly when I use products containing glycerin. I think my leave-in is the only product I use anymore that has it, but it's like the second-to-last ingredient on the list, so it's fine. This summer I plan on letting my hair fade/sun-bleach itself back to its natural light golden-brown, so I may reintroduce glycerin to speed up the process.
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    Is it all kinds of glycerin? I know there's veg glycerin in my JC, and regular glycerin in my Fuzzy Duck.

I am flummoxed.
    Yeah, all kinds.

Hmmmmm. Maybe because I usually wait a day before using it? And I use permanent color?

Isht.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file