Detangling...?

nicole.nicole. Registered Users Posts: 74
Quick question - do you detangle on wet or dryish hair?

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Registered Users Posts: 240
    Hi, Nicole!

I voted in the poll, but I wanted to explain my answer, because it doesn't mean much to do something and not know why :wink:

Anyway, if I detangle on dr--Sorry, let me rephrase that. If I foolishly attempt to detangle dry hair, it just hurts like hell and accomplishes very little. There's no slip on my dry hair (even if I use an oil or other product), so the comb doesn't glide and it hurts because it's pulling on my hair. My curls are dense and thick, so it's already a struggle! On wet hair, however, when it's slathered in conditioner, it's much easier to remove the knots and tangles. It's also faster and I retain definition because the water and product encourage clumping, whereas dry hair just turns into a cloud of wiry dryness. I mean, it's my cloud of wire dryness, so I love it unconditionally (no pun intended), but why hassle?

'kay, the end.
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
  • nicole.nicole. Registered Users Posts: 74
    Hi CheveuxSauvage =D!

Yeah I was wondering because I detangled on dampish dry hair today with a bunch of Suave and olive oil and it was sooo much easier. When my hair's wet it stretches too much and eventually breaks.

• CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Registered Users Posts: 240
    You mean your actual strands stretch and then snap? If that's the case, it sounds like you're over-moisturizing them and could use a protein treatment. I think when hair gets "over-conditioned", it gets gummy and gets too elastic, so a protein treatment will add some strength back to it. See THIS LINK for details. Keep in mind that some elasticity is good, but not too much. Also, be sure that you have enough product in your hair so that the comb/brush can easily glide through. I usually use VO5 to detangle because it's cheap, so I don't hesitate to use tons if I need it. Are you using a wide-tooth comb? Finger-detangling? Hope this helps!
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    I detangle on both wet and dry hair. I start on dry hair and then finish under running water using my fingers.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • nicole.nicole. Registered Users Posts: 74
    You mean your actual strands stretch and then snap? If that's the case, it sounds like you're over-moisturizing them and could use a protein treatment. I think when hair gets "over-conditioned", it gets gummy and gets too elastic, so a protein treatment will add some strength back to it. See THIS LINK for details. Keep in mind that some elasticity is good, but not too much. Also, be sure that you have enough product in your hair so that the comb/brush can easily glide through. I usually use VO5 to detangle because it's cheap, so I don't hesitate to use tons if I need it. Are you using a wide-tooth comb? Finger-detangling? Hope this helps!

Wellll I think my hair was over-moisturized a few weeks ago. It was breaking horribly so I put a thread up about it. Then I did a protein treatment with eggs and mayonnaise and that stopped it fast. It might be still too over conditioned though...

I use a ton of Suave and a wide tooth comb. It detangles my hair pretty well wet or dry, but when it's wet i have way more breakage.

• Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    There is no way I would ever attempt to detangle my hair while dry! That would be a huge, huge mistake. My hair must be wet and full of conditioner.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    I detangle dry with Qhemets Detangling Ghee, I dont use a comb, denman , shower comb or any of that. I simply apply the Ghee and work it thru my hair strands until the hair is knot free. The only time I detangle on wet hair is if Im going to twist my hair right after detangling.
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    nicole. wrote: »
    Hi CheveuxSauvage =D!

Yeah I was wondering because I detangled on dampish dry hair today with a bunch of Suave and olive oil and it was sooo much easier. When my hair's wet it stretches too much and eventually breaks.

This is me. And for the longest I continued to detangle on wet hair cause "that's what you're supposed to do":( But my hair just can't take it. It's SUPER weak when it's wet and all that manipulation just breaks it off.

I finger detangle on slightly damp, stretched hair with conditioner and coconut oil and it's super easy!!:glasses8:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • Mona906Mona906 Registered Users Posts: 59

I finger detangle on slightly damp, stretched hair with conditioner and coconut oil and it's super easy!!:glasses8:

Same here. I make sure that I have enough conditioner in it, so I can get that slip feel. It goes so much faster.
    *Been natural all my life, and still finding out ways to make it better.*:read2:
    *Hair type- 4b/4a
    *Hair regimen- Still not sure :dontknow:

"Incredible God deserves Incredible Praise"
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    I detangle my hair wet since I've seen that with my hair dry, it's pointless to detangle it. Now, I've found a great conditioner, here in Trinidad that provides awesome slip. Detangling is a wonderful experience at this moment. :mrgreen:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file