PLEASE help!! No matter what, my hair feels producty!!

I need some big help--it occurred to me to throw in the CG towel the other day, but I really don't want to!!

It seems that no matter what products I use, my hair feels gross. I find I can get great curl definition, and minimal frizz, but my hair ALWAYS feels producty.

I've tried baking soda/ACV rinse a couple times, I've tried less co-washing, less product (which leaves me very dry and frizzy), protein, no protein...I'm at a loss.

I've been CG for only about a month now, so maybe I should still wait it out??

My hair never felt like this pre-CG...I really need some suggestions PLEASE!!

If it helps, I think I'm 2a/3a/3b-ish
3b I think :)

Current rotation: CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Condish, Suave Coconut, AOHR, CJCCCC, KKKT, KCCC
HGs: EcoStyler, Coconut oil, KY, ACV, BRHG, LOOB, Curl Rehab, Deva AnGel, GTTT Condish, CIAB!
<3 Curl Junkie <3

Comments

• K-Curlyy!K-Curlyy! Registered Users Posts: 2
    Nerdycurl wrote: »
    I need some big help--it occurred to me to throw in the CG towel the other day, but I really don't want to!!

It seems that no matter what products I use, my hair feels gross. I find I can get great curl definition, and minimal frizz, but my hair ALWAYS feels producty.

I've tried baking soda/ACV rinse a couple times, I've tried less co-washing, less product (which leaves me very dry and frizzy), protein, no protein...I'm at a loss.

I've been CG for only about a month now, so maybe I should still wait it out??

My hair never felt like this pre-CG...I really need some suggestions PLEASE!!

If it helps, I think I'm 2a/3a/3b-ish

try john frieda's curling spray, you can't feel it and it doesn't get crunchy or hard like mousses do and definately minimizes frizz. i hope this helps. :)
  • NerdycurlNerdycurl Registered Users Posts: 87
    I'm staying away from 'cones, but pre-CG, I loved that stuff!

Current rotation: CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Condish, Suave Coconut, AOHR, CJCCCC, KKKT, KCCC
    HGs: EcoStyler, Coconut oil, KY, ACV, BRHG, LOOB, Curl Rehab, Deva AnGel, GTTT Condish, CIAB!
    <3 Curl Junkie <3
  • smasters467smasters467 Registered Users Posts: 527
    CG shouldn't have anything to do with your hair feeling producty. Your hair should only feel producty if you used too much of something, or your hair may just not like a particular product.

Gross, dirty feeling hair is another thing though. That's product build up, and can be resolved with a simple low-poo. Giovanni makes one you can get at Target, if your on a budget. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Benefits-Shampoo-p-36.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-benefits-shampoo]Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo[/buylink], and Deva Low-Poo. Both work great, but the Elucence is way cheaper, and I order from Curlmart.

So I guess the question is does your hair feel producty, like you have too much product in your hair, or does it not feel clean?
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
    It doesn't feel dirty, definitely producty. I've tried using less product, but that leaves me frizzy and dry with no curl definition.

Maybe I just have to experiment more?

<3 Curl Junkie <3
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    What products are you using?? Some products just make your hair feel producty--and others don't. I can't stand it when my hair feels producty, so won't use those products. My hair likes the more natural products. (most are in my signature) I cowashed for six months, now use the natural soap bars to cleanse. My hair looks better as a result.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smasters467smasters467 Registered Users Posts: 527
    It could just be the product that your using. Some products, CG or not, just don't leave your hair feeling good. I use a lot of gel, when I use it, and I never feel producty. You just have to find a product you like, and an amount that will give the results you're after.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Registered Users Posts: 334
    When my hair feels producty it means I have buildup. I tried and tried to be a "pure" CG, but my hair just wouldn't have it.

Now I lo poo when I get that build up feeling. I've also cut way down on the amount of product I use, but that's me.

kathymac sent me a soap bar sample which I'm looking forward to using too!
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • missbanjomissbanjo Registered Users Posts: 3,088 Curl Neophyte
    Mine only gets producty if I use too many products with mag sulfate. It only likes a small amount. I used BBFSG and JCAIS together and eeeyuck. I ordered BBFSG with mag sulfate but didn't think about it until after. I just use EVCO instead of the JCAIS to scrunch out the crunch.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    My hair feels producty when I either use a product with too much oil (and then it more looks than feels producty usually) or too much curl creme (any brand), which will result in my hair feeling sort of greasy and like it's attracted grime. The only thing I know to do is use a lo-poo.

We'd all be able to help more if we knew what you were currently using, and if you knew what your porosity and texture were. (see here to find those out: http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm )
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the other ladies.. you are probably using to much product and it's built up. You have to be really careful with that especially on your scalp..cause your scalp could get really gunked up and slow down hair growth.

I love the CG method.. and did it for a long time and I'm still very much pro-CG. But I find I need shampoo because I use rich conditioners and oil in my hair daily. So I use a sulfate shampoo once a week. But if you want strictly CG, you can just get a sulfate free shampoo.. you would STILL be CG.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    I had been experimenting with/rotating [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink], One C, Vo5 blackberry tea condish, GVP CB, Mop-C curl cream, Bioterra curl cream, BRHG, and I'm sure there are a couple others I'm forgetting.

I started using less leave-in, and that's helped a lot. Now I scrunch a lot of it in, then rinse for a couple seconds. I've finally gotten that "wet seaweed" feeling lol. I know the curl cream adds to the producty feeling, but I get hardly any definition without it.

The last couple of weeks I've given up on all my other conditioners, and have been strictly Deva, since that's been working for me for so long. I thought I didn't like the One C as a leave-in until I tried the light rinsing method, now it's my favorite.

Now I'm trying to figure out what ingredients my hair likes/dislikes. I'll look into the mag sulfate thing...

I also started using coconut oil, which my hair loves.

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions! :lol:

<3 Curl Junkie <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file