Straight Hair Gal needs some help!

jasminerk13jasminerk13 Posts: 2Registered Users
I am coming over here from makeupalley and want to go no shampoo, but am sooo lost!
I just went to my drugstore and bought VO5 Extra Body to start co washing only.
I typically used Pantene shampoos and conditioners, with usually no product at all.

Can I just go straight to using the VO5 co washing? Or do I need to do something before dropping the shampoo all together?

I'll be honest, I'm probably not going to make anything homemade. I will probably only buy products I can find at Walmart, CVS, etc.

So can I just jump right in? What are your suggestions for products, conditioners, etc?

Oh, and I'm not sure if this matter or not, but I have straight, bleached, dry hair. I usually only blow-dry with a round brush, and only on special occasions do I use a flat iron.

THANKS!!!!

Comments

• mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi! Since you used pantene as your main shampoo and conditioner, I would suggest doing a clarifying wash and deep treatment. You want to make sure both the clarifying shampoo and deep treatment are cone free.

As far as conditioners, I really like the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. That's the only conditioning conditioner I use from Walmart/Target, etc. If you find the VO5 doesn't work as a CO, Suave is another good alternative.

Here's a link that will provide some basics. HTH!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14702
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • jasminerk13jasminerk13 Posts: 2Registered Users
    THANK YOU! :toothy7:

I have Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo that I can use as a shampoo to get rid of the silicones.

What deep conditioning products should I keep an eye out for?

And do I do this one time, or should I use it for a certain period of time before dropping the shampoo?

Also, thank you for the link. I did read all of that before I posted my questions. It has a lot of great info!!!
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You'd only have to do the clarifying/deep treatment once, right before you start shampoo-less. I don't use any drugstore deep treatments, so I can't recommend one, sorry.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I don't use many drugstore products, but I do use the Garnier Triple Nutrition as a DT - I just leave it on for longer, allowing more of the oils to soak into my hair. In fact, I own only one true "deep treatment" - otherwise I use moisturizing rinse outs, sometimes with heat in place of them.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file