Suave conditioner or VO5 conditioner?

Which one works better- the Suave or VO5. I hear more people talking Suave than VO5. Has anyone ever tried VO5?
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I can't say which one is better. I feel like Suave has more scent choices, but I really love VO5 Kiwi and Lime squeeze too. I can't really choose one over the other.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    I like using VO5 as CO wash, and then again as a leave in, it makes my curls do this spiral thing
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I honestly couldn't choose because I use both of them all the time. Suave coconut and VO5 kiwi and lime are always in my cupboard, always.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Suave.. Vo5 just doesn't have enough choices for me to judge.
    3b-3c CG
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    I voted Suave, but I'm going to switch to White Rain as soon as I'm done with all my bottles because they animal test.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

    Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    Well the vo5 I liked is discontinued, that kiwi and lime squeeze. They have it reformulated but it's not a clarifying conditioner anymore. I need somethign light for my CO.
    I actually prefer the White rain Energizing Citrus right now. It's not as light as my old VO5 formula but it's nice.
    Suave coconut is light but it makes my hair frizzy if I use it too many days in a row.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

    If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    so why does everyone like sauve or vo5? Both very waxy, cause build-up and also cause breakage from building up!!!
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I have never had any build-up from either. From all I've read, all the ingredients are CG-friendly. What exactly is causing the build-up and breakage? :?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    No build-up or breakage here either and I've used nothing else for about 2 years.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    so why does everyone like sauve or vo5? Both very waxy, cause build-up and also cause breakage from building up!!!

    I've never had issues with them unless it had a protein. The Suave Aloe gives me some big bouncy curls in the summer. I need more moisture in the winter. I don't have breakage either.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    In the three years I've been using suave and vo5 they've never given me any problems. My hair is healthy and shiny. No drying breaking, no buildup or coating.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

    If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    so why does everyone like sauve or vo5? Both very waxy, cause build-up and also cause breakage from building up!!!

    Ahhh, I get it now. After reading all of your posts, I understand your aversion to Sauve products - you have a salon and want to sell salon products.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    so why does everyone like sauve or vo5? Both very waxy, cause build-up and also cause breakage from building up!!!

    Ahhh, I get it now. After reading all of your posts, I understand your aversion to Sauve products - you have a salon and want to sell salon products.

    Funny thing is that for my curly girls I do not sell any of the product we carry at my salon because i do not belive it works best on them. I actually have them go online or go to ULTA to get the best products for them. Some I have use Bio Silk, Quiddad, or Devacurl to name a few. My salon does not carry these products. If I thought Suave and Vo5 were great and kept hair healthy I would recommend them. I really just wish I could undertand this whole thing. I'm not arguing, just very curious! :?
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    so why does everyone like sauve or vo5? Both very waxy, cause build-up and also cause breakage from building up!!!

    Ahhh, I get it now. After reading all of your posts, I understand your aversion to Sauve products - you have a salon and want to sell salon products.

    Funny thing is that for my curly girls I do not sell any of the product we carry at my salon because i do not belive it works best on them. I actually have them go online or go to ULTA to get the best products for them. Some I have use Bio Silk, Quiddad, or Devacurl to name a few. My salon does not carry these products. If I thought Suave and Vo5 were great and kept hair healthy I would recommend them. I really just wish I could undertand this whole thing. I'm not arguing, just very curious! :?

    I could see why some would not want products that were animal derived. But, the cheaper conditioners do a fine job for quite a few of us in at least one category if not others. Perhaps seeing the anecdotal evidence that we have will make you less hostile towards them.

    If I had listened to some stylist & cosmetologist, I'd being using glycerin, cones and proteins. My hair likes none of these. I just have to find what works best for me in the long haul no matter what experts say.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    so why does everyone like sauve or vo5? Both very waxy, cause build-up and also cause breakage from building up!!!

    Ahhh, I get it now. After reading all of your posts, I understand your aversion to Sauve products - you have a salon and want to sell salon products.

    Funny thing is that for my curly girls I do not sell any of the product we carry at my salon because i do not belive it works best on them. I actually have them go online or go to ULTA to get the best products for them. Some I have use Bio Silk, Quiddad, or Devacurl to name a few. My salon does not carry these products. If I thought Suave and Vo5 were great and kept hair healthy I would recommend them. I really just wish I could undertand this whole thing. I'm not arguing, just very curious! :?

    I could see why some would not want products that were animal derived. But, the cheaper conditioners do a fine job for quite a few of us in at least one category if not others. Perhaps seeing the anecdotal evidence that we have will make you less hostile towards them.

    If I had listened to some stylist & cosmetologist, I'd being using glycerin, cones and proteins. My hair likes none of these. I just have to find what works best for me in the long haul no matter what experts say.


    I would still like to hear more...maybe someone can email me with research, pics and evidence. I would really like to know more from the client standpoint.
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    We do research on our hair. Suave and VO5 conditioners are certainly not rich enough to be used as conditioners for most of us, but they make great co-washing conditioners. I am not about to use 2 palmfuls of Ouidad's overpriced stuff every time I co-wash.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    Bailey422 wrote:
    We do research on our hair. Suave and VO5 conditioners are certainly not rich enough to be used as conditioners for most of us, but they make great co-washing conditioners. I am not about to use 2 palmfuls of Ouidad's overpriced stuff every time I co-wash.

    simmer down. like i said, just asking the girls why it works best for them. :shock:
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    Funny thing is that for my curly girls I do not sell any of the product we carry at my salon because i do not belive it works best on them. I actually have them go online or go to ULTA to get the best products for them. Some I have use Bio Silk, Quiddad, or Devacurl to name a few. My salon does not carry these products. If I thought Suave and Vo5 were great and kept hair healthy I would recommend them. I really just wish I could undertand this whole thing. I'm not arguing, just very curious! :?
    And for the record, you are arguing. You have 10 total posts on NC.com. 10... that's it! And out of these 10, 2 are recommending Devacurl, and the other 8 are bashing the cheaper brands. I hope you realize this makes you look very much like a Deva rep. If you were really here wanting to help people you would be giving advice beyond "ditch the Suave, buy expensive brands." Not everyone can afford Ouidad and Devacurl, and those of us that can't find inexpensive alternatives. I just can't understand why you are on this anti-Suave crusade if you don't have some other agenda.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I'm willing to just go White Rain for a week or two to keep track of things. I have a ton of pics in my albums but I didn't get super specific, so it's hard to remember which conditioner I used if I didn't label it.

    I'm a thick, coarse textured 3B just to have background info.

    I've been liking the TooShea!, but even that tiny amount of oat protein has been getting me lately so I had planned on taking a small break from it anyway.

    For the past two days, I have been using the White Rain as a co-wash and rinse out. I use it mixed with some coconut oil (love the stuff) as a leave-in. I don't need so much conditioner in the humid months, but winter has always been harder on my hair. It less product related than cetral heat related. If you prefer, I can leave off the coconut oil.

    As far as clinical research, I can't help you there.

    I'd also continue to use the same stylers I used with the high end conditioners. I like having some hold. :)

    I am happy to start anytime. I am getting my color re-done on Saturday. I can wait a week post color also if you think the color will have anything to do with it. I also don't wet my hair for 48 hours post color, so that would take two days off of testing.

    No, I don't think these will work for everyone. I was skeptical of it too when I first read about it. But, I did notice it doing pretty well for me over the summer.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    Funny thing is that for my curly girls I do not sell any of the product we carry at my salon because i do not belive it works best on them. I actually have them go online or go to ULTA to get the best products for them. Some I have use Bio Silk, Quiddad, or Devacurl to name a few. My salon does not carry these products. If I thought Suave and Vo5 were great and kept hair healthy I would recommend them. I really just wish I could undertand this whole thing. I'm not arguing, just very curious! :?
    And for the record, you are arguing. You have 10 total posts on NC.com. 10... that's it! And out of these 10, 2 are recommending Devacurl, and the other 8 are bashing the cheaper brands. I hope you realize this makes you look very much like a Deva rep. If you were really here wanting to help people you would be giving advice beyond "ditch the Suave, buy expensive brands." Not everyone can afford Ouidad and Devacurl, and those of us that can't find inexpensive alternatives. I just can't understand why you are on this anti-Suave crusade if you don't have some other agenda.


    Please tell me why you use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG recoil[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]deva set it free[/buylink]. Both are great Products and are salon brands. Please don't be nasty with me. We are all trying to help one another.
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    I'm willing to just go White Rain for a week or two to keep track of things. I have a ton of pics in my albums but I didn't get super specific, so it's hard to remember which conditioner I used if I didn't label it.

    I'm a thick, coarse textured 3B just to have background info.

    I've been liking the TooShea!, but even that tiny amount of oat protein has been getting me lately so I had planned on taking a small break from it anyway.

    For the past two days, I have been using the White Rain as a co-wash and rinse out. I use it mixed with some coconut oil (love the stuff) as a leave-in. I don't need so much conditioner in the humid months, but winter has always been harder on my hair. It less product related than cetral heat related. If you prefer, I can leave off the coconut oil.

    As far as clinical research, I can't help you there.

    I'd also continue to use the same stylers I used with the high end conditioners. I like having some hold. :)

    I am happy to start anytime. I am getting my color re-done on Saturday. I can wait a week post color also if you think the color will have anything to do with it. I also don't wet my hair for 48 hours post color, so that would take two days off of testing.

    No, I don't think these will work for everyone. I was skeptical of it too when I first read about it. But, I did notice it doing pretty well for me over the summer.

    Please tell me more about the TooShea!!! Also props for no rinsing or co-washing for 48 hours after color. you are letting the cuticule funnly heal and seal in color. Also remember to use co washers or conditioners with no cones or easy to remove cones. color will take better and more evenly with no traces of cones on the hair. What do you feel is better for you olive or coconut oil???
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Shearcrazy wrote:
    Funny thing is that for my curly girls I do not sell any of the product we carry at my salon because i do not belive it works best on them. I actually have them go online or go to ULTA to get the best products for them. Some I have use Bio Silk, Quiddad, or Devacurl to name a few. My salon does not carry these products. If I thought Suave and Vo5 were great and kept hair healthy I would recommend them. I really just wish I could undertand this whole thing. I'm not arguing, just very curious! :?
    And for the record, you are arguing. You have 10 total posts on NC.com. 10... that's it! And out of these 10, 2 are recommending Devacurl, and the other 8 are bashing the cheaper brands. I hope you realize this makes you look very much like a Deva rep. If you were really here wanting to help people you would be giving advice beyond "ditch the Suave, buy expensive brands." Not everyone can afford Ouidad and Devacurl, and those of us that can't find inexpensive alternatives. I just can't understand why you are on this anti-Suave crusade if you don't have some other agenda.


    Please tell me why you use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG recoil[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]deva set it free[/buylink]. Both are great Products and are salon brands. Please don't be nasty with me. We are all trying to help one another.

    I am not being nasty at all, simply pointing out the facts of your posting history. It is suspicious to say the least. I know I am trying to help the curlies on here, and I don't have an agenda. If I can recommend something that works for me and will save them money, I will. I can't really say that you're trying to help when your posts have the message of "I'm a licenced cosmetologist, so I'm right and ALL the rest of you are wrong." Because of this attitude, your advice has lost any credibility with me. Maybe if you start giving some curly advice beyond "suave is bad, Deva is good," then I might believe that you are truly trying to help.

    I use recoil and Set it Free because they are great products and there are no drugstore equivalents of them. They are one of a kind products, and I don't get the same results from anything else. Notice, I don't use NoPoo or OneC because I get the same if not better results from cheaper products.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Shearcrazy,

    TooShea! is a thicker conditioner based on shea butter, among other things. The protein amount is tiny in it, and used more as a thickener than the more conventional uses of protein, but even that small amount can get me. I'm just protein sensitive that way unfortuneately. It does limit what I can use.

    Here's the website:

    http://www.jessicurl.com/

    Her products are also vegan for those who are interested in animal free products.

    I had to learn the hard way about the no water thing. My colorist also feels strongly about it. I get a Demi red done, so I'm at a double whammy for fading. I avoid 'cones also as much as I can, although I've used a few things with amodimethicone in them. I'm cone free right now though.

    I've not tried olive oil, so I can't speak to it. Some of the other curlies here use it and some use jojoba. I've just used the coconut. I like it since it works and it has no proteins, lol. I've not noticed more than the usual color fade that reds have with time. Nothing like what glycerin did for me, although I know that other color treated curlies don't have issues with glycerin. It's a shame since glycerin is such a good moisturizer for me. I haven't used a regular shampoo since June or so - I'm still a pretty new cg'er.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    Shearcrazy,
    I use Suave, VO5 and White Rain all the time, and they do keep my hair healthy. Not all curly girls can use oils in their hair, so many of them turn to Suave, VO5, and White Rain because they have aloe vera, which is moisturizing. And, I've never had waxy build up from any of the Suave conditioners.

    Oh, just to tell you, Ouidad is spelled wrong in one of your posts.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

    Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • ShearcrazyShearcrazy Registered Users Posts: 24
    Hi Shearcrazy,

    TooShea! is a thicker conditioner based on shea butter, among other things. The protein amount is tiny in it, and used more as a thickener than the more conventional uses of protein, but even that small amount can get me. I'm just protein sensitive that way unfortuneately. It does limit what I can use.

    Here's the website:

    http://www.jessicurl.com/

    Her products are also vegan for those who are interested in animal free products.

    I had to learn the hard way about the no water thing. My colorist also feels strongly about it. I get a Demi red done, so I'm at a double whammy for fading. I avoid 'cones also as much as I can, although I've used a few things with amodimethicone in them. I'm cone free right now though.

    I've not tried olive oil, so I can't speak to it. Some of the other curlies here use it and some use jojoba. I've just used the coconut. I like it since it works and it has no proteins, lol. I've not noticed more than the usual color fade that reds have with time. Nothing like what glycerin did for me, although I know that other color treated curlies don't have issues with glycerin. It's a shame since glycerin is such a good moisturizer for me. I haven't used a regular shampoo since June or so - I'm still a pretty new cg'er.

    Thank you for your reccomendation for jessicurl...excited to try it out!
    Curly Girl Using Low Poo, One Condition, and Ange'll. 3B
    http://www.commontribehairdressing.com
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    Some of the VO5's work alright for me (sun kissed rasberry), and white rain extra body does a decent job as a CO, but Suave gives me the most consistent curls when I use it. I usually switch between the aloe/waterlilly and the tropical coconut.

    I've never noticed waxy buildup of any sort with any of these, and I'd say my breakage is definitely less, and my waves are wavier since starting a CO routine in april of this year.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Registered Users Posts: 126
    I tried using Suave Coconut con and it dried my hair so bad that I was scared to use another cheapie conditioner until I heard raves about VO5 and checked out their Strawberries and Cream and Champagne kisses both which I love...VO5 is wonderful for conwashes because it doesn't contain any cones, detangles my hair, and smells amazing! (Try adding it with honey or molasses and it is a double treat then :) )
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file