CurlTalk

"I Use Petroleum-Based Products"

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
I've spoken with several natural ladies who LOVE petroleum based hair care products more than the natural hair care products. I was surprised since they have a "natural" lifestyle. They claim that the petroleum based products not only work better, but is easy on the wallet.

I'm curious as to how many ladies here use petroleum-based products as well.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
CoWash: various
DT: various

Leave-in
: CR L/I Collection, various
Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
*experimenting and loving it!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Not me.. my hair HATES petroleum and mineral oil..and I do mean HATE. And even if my hair liked them.. I'm not going through the drama with the build up. :cussing: LOL!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    The only one i use is included in my processed beeswax. It worked very well while transitioning; but i've avoided it so far (3 months) but i used it on the end of my twists 2 weeks ago, the results were perfect. All things considered, it might become a staple when doing my twists.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    I do make a concerted effort not to use petroleum-based products; by this I mean that the product has the actual names, petroleum and mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum). However, I'm surprised that my scalp and hair can handle petroleum derivatives.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    I've used the Silk Elements conditioner as a leave-in which contains mineral oil, but it's not a staple product for me. I didn't have any ill effects when using it though, so although I'm all out now, I would revisit this product.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • curlycookiecurlycookie Posts: 106Registered Users
    A couple of weeks ago when I was BRAND new to this, I went to Sally's and bought some of their Coconut Oil and didn't realize that there was a diff between the Sally brand and the health food "real deal" until I started reading about it on this site. Sally's is full of petrolatum but I was actually quite loving it on my hair and then when I did my reading, I thought to myself, if I love the Sally's brand then the health-food store stuff is gonna be even better. I bought the virgin coconut oil from the health food store and ditched the petrolatum version. I was surprised that I did actually like the Sally brand better but I was feeling like I should use the non-petro kind and it was too late to snag it from the trash can :cry:. So, I'm consoling myself with the fact that the virgin kind must be better for my hair?!
    3c fine and frizzy
    Last relaxer Oct 08
    Sham: Say Yes to Carrots, Eluence MB
    Co Wash: Tresemme Naturals, Say yes to Cukes, Elucence moisture balancing Cond
    Leave In: AOHR, Elucence
    DC: MC DeepCond, Aussie 3-minute miracle, CJ Curl Rehab
    Style with: Curl Keeper/AG Re:coil; KCCC, Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine, KC Gloss Pomade, Coconut Oil

Saved by Grace...I'm a child of the KING!!
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    I didn't answer the poll cause my answer option wasn't there: I use petroleum products very rarely now. Just in the Joico protein reconstruct I use maybe a couple times a year. And if they made it without, I'd use it. :)

I don't believe any other product I have has petroleum based.

I don't think the people who eschew it do so mostly for natural reasons (though some do). I suspect it's because it does not agree with their hair, builds up, is harder to wash out, etc.

If my hair loved it, I don't care if it's not 100% natural, though I do think we do well to cut back where we can on petroleum products. I think enemy nations get enough of our moolah as is....
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders