no clue about hair stuff

ajaj Posts: 5Registered Users
hello just joined last night asked a question in general but no response,maybe here is a better spot...going to salon to have my hair colored/highlighted but lady wants to do a Malibu treatment first because i have very hard water,so lots of junk on my hair (orange-ish red) wondering if anyone knows if its ok to do the Malibu and then color in same day?? I'm not sure what my hair # is maybe a 2 something,its straight looking on the top layer but looks really kinky like i braided it wet underneath,people think i had it done but its natural so i found this site and maybe i am some sort of curly..not a clue when it comes to hair,or cones or anything.I've been trying to figure it all out..ooooso confusing

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have no idea what a Malibu treatment is. I suspect that's why you didn't get a response before. Is it some kind of a relaxer?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • ajaj Posts: 5Registered Users
    I really don't know what it is either,some kind of treatment they do to remove build up on your hair from what i understand.You ladies are all so smart about hair stuff,so I'll just hang around reading some more,might be another who has heard of it. Thanks so much for the reply :)
  • TranspogueTranspogue Posts: 31Registered Users
    A malibu treatment is a 2-step process. The first is a deep cleanser that is heat activated. It acts to remove minerals from the hair. It essentially removes EVERYTHING from the hair...good and bad oils, minerals, artifical hair color, etc, so it's not recommended for color treated hair. The second part is a protein reconstructor that acts as a bit of a sealer from the original treatment.

A malibu before a hair color would work quite well, especially semi-permanents that don't penetrate the cuticle as much as permanents. It is essential that you use the protein treatment part of the malibu, or the hair color won't hold to the hair well (as the cuticle is still open from the 1st...is this too confusing lol?).
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    http://www.e42salon.com
  • ajaj Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you so much Transpogue! I made the appt. for tomorrow and I know you said it takes the good and the bad stuff out but I've got a lot of crap that needs to go.I have never been to a salon to have coloring done always did the home thing.Never really got it right I'm sure! Making coloring appt. for next week (guess I can live with whatever happens tomorrow for a week) I know I need a H2o softener,its on "the list". Thank you again for giving me some info :D
  • TranspogueTranspogue Posts: 31Registered Users
    Awesome :). And when I say the good and the bad stuff, that's just the first step. It's pretty much the equivalent of shampooing your hair over and over and over again, so ALL the oils, good and bad, are stripped. After your hair does the protein treatment and the color, it will feel very, very soft and very healthy.

Good luck!!
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    http://www.e42salon.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file