What's a comfortable Not Frumpy brand of shoes?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I wore new Cole Haan shoes yesterday and totally killed my feet walking just 3 blocks! I'm going to have to throw them out. :angry1: I am blistered even though I stopped after the first block and put on bandaids - it helped but not enough.

I don't have "problem" feet - they are perfectly fine except the skin must be delicate. I blister easily. I have used J&J Blister Block with some success but it didn't work yesterday.

I have worn Arche shoes which are comfy but you have to sell your first-born to buy them (cost a fortune) and they tend to be really frumpy looking. I'm going to cave and buy them anyway rather than get blisters, but before I do - can you suggest a brand that has nice sandals that won't kill my feet? I can't buy shoes without trying them on so no Zappos.

If I wear hose or tights I'm fine, but in spring/summer I always have this problem. Suggestions welcome!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like Alegria.

I have them in mustard, giraffe print, and a weird pink graffiti pattern.

I would google them in New York to see where they're sold in store if you like them.

http://www.alegriashoeshop.com/product_p/alg-306.htm
  • xxxxxxxxxx Posts: 94Registered Users
    X
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think we curly girls have as many different opinions on what is cute and comfortable as we have opinions on hair products! Here is a recent thread on "Comfortable sandals that aren't ugly".

I hope you find what you're looking for - please let us know!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    *A*Curly wrote: »

Thanks, everyone. I do like these that *A* curly posted. That's pretty much what I have in mind.

Kasden - thanks for posting that link. I see I'm not the only one with this issue. My poor little toesies!

Porzellan, I'm going to have to see if I can find HushPuppies in a store. They must have them in NYC.

NinjaDog, I did google Alegria NYC but I didn't find any stores that sell them - all internet. Appreciate the tip though.

I'll keep these brands that you all suggested in mind and try Macy's, L&t and DSW if I can find it. I live in Manhattan for pete's sake - the land of too much of everything! I should be able to find some nice ones - will report back.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    I really think that Alegria fails in its marketing that way; products should be available "on land" for customers like you.

I'm disappointed in them.

Sorry, CP!
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    I love Naturalizers, I wish I could buy the entire line! They are super comfortable. They also have a website if you are interested.
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Clark's, especially their Artisan and Indigo lines, Sofft, Naturalizer, Hushpuppies, Ann Klein, to name a few.

Check out shoes on-line - much greater selection and size range than locally: Zappos.com, Shoemall.com, Shoebuy.com, Endless.com, Shoes.com, etc. Zappos and Endless offer free 365-day returns, so it's no big deal to return if you need to return or exchange - and they're quick!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I think "Born" makes comfy shoes, too, but they may be kind of earthy-looking.
    X
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had good luck with the Cole Haan, sorry they did not work for you. My feet are narrow so cheap shoes do not fit, you can get affordable and cute in normal/wide but not narrow, it's either cute and spendy or not quite so expensive but old lady styles. Yuck.

I have been drooling over these but don't want to lay out the $.
    1255905-p-DETAILED.jpg

(Donald Pliner shoes are notoriously comfortable, really really nice, I have a pair of pointy-toed mule things from him that look wicked like they should hurt to wear but they are feel like putting on slippers. If you are awash in money I wholeheartedly recommend this brand. :))

Naturalizer is good for finding shoes that fit well. Nordstrom has a great selection down here, and lots of sizes.
    Yes if you are in NYC you should have no trouble, just try on in the store and walk around, take your time and don't buy anything that doesn't feel good.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't know Predictions were still sold! Love, love them!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    porzellan wrote: »
    *A*Curly wrote: »
    I'd give up fashion anytime in exchange for comfort.

...but you have proven, that it is not necessary to give up anything! i love these silvery predictors wedges. and i will look for something like this tomorrow!
    ita!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

X
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I just bought 2 pairs of adorable Dr Scholls ballet slippers.

And Nike makes great cushiony flip flops. Lastly, I just got the most comfortable wedge heeled sandals from Skechers of all companies!!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    I love Dansko clogs and sandals. My legs are less fatigued when I wear Dansko, but they are a bit clunky in the summer.

I just discovered Merrell ballet flats. I am traveling all July and I needed a pair of comfortable shoes that I could wear with skirts. I LOVE these ballet flats. They are a little sporty but in basic black, they go with everything. (Of course, I tend to wear casual clothes) I have enough support to walk with them all day.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have so many pairs of shoes, but the ones that get the most wear are my Danskos. I have quite a few pair, boots, sandals, clogs. Next in line are Sketchers sneakers. For dress shoes, Naturalizer.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For casual styles -- Clark's Privos are wonderful!!! They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever bought.
    3b/c
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rudeechick wrote: »
    I just bought 2 pairs of adorable Dr Scholls ballet slippers.

And Nike makes great cushiony flip flops. Lastly, I just got the most comfortable wedge heeled sandals from Skechers of all companies!!

I have some Skechers wedge-heeled sandals that are very comfy and stylish, too! Think they came from endless.com last summer.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • CurlyGirlCACurlyGirlCA Posts: 7Registered Users
    crwritt wrote: »
    I have so many pairs of shoes, but the ones that get the most wear are my Danskos. I have quite a few pair, boots, sandals, clogs. /quote]

Dansko Selas are the way to go - I have wide feet but these fit fine. Check for the sandals that are in the Sausalito collection. Also Softwalk Marsala are very nice and come in wide and double-wide.
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Yes, I like Naturalizers, too.

My favorite are Aerosoles. I just got these on clearance (in black)!KARMA_THUMB.JPG :blob3: They've got lots of sales on other cute shoes on their website. And they last and last... even after you get tired of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    Sofft
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • KlaraKlara Posts: 1Registered Users
    Shoes have always been a problem for me!!I mean to find a pair the look nice and fit me right. I live in flip-flops in the summer and chucks in the winter/fall - but even the chucks hurt my little toes after a day of walking around as I have wide feet.
    I found these wide fit shoes that are gorgeous and will probably get some more soon
    Green Peep Toes

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can I please get an opinion on these Born shoes? Are they ugly and I'm just not seeing it? Please be honest.

Something about them I really like, but I'm concerned that they are going to look to "hippie" or dated....I've been wanting to try a Mary Jane-ish style to see if I like it. I don't know if they are OK for summer (I wear a lot of black skirts) but I was thinking for sure I could wear them in the fall with tights. Could I also wear them with black pants?

EB10IB_0204123_100C1?
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Spiralli wrote: »
    Can I please get an opinion on these Born shoes? Are they ugly and I'm just not seeing it? Please be honest.

Something about them I really like, but I'm concerned that they are going to look to "hippie" or dated....I've been wanting to try a Mary Jane-ish style to see if I like it. I don't know if they are OK for summer (I wear a lot of black skirts) but I was thinking for sure I could wear them in the fall with tights. Could I also wear them with black pants?

EB10IB_0204123_100C1?

I want them! I think they're cute and they look comfy, but to be honest I don't know what the hell I would wear them with, I suppose black pants or khaki pants to look nice, I can't for some reason see wearing them with a dress or skirt though. :dontknow:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    Style is so personal. If you are asking for my honest (not polite) opinion, I think those particular Born shoes are not fashionable. Maybe they look amazing on you. If I imagine wearing them, I see myself in round toed toddler shoes with a kiddie strap to make sure they don't flip off while I run around chasing birds in the park. Sorry, they just say 3 year old to me.

Sofft gets another vote. http://www.sofftshoe.com/category.aspx?CategoryID=0&SeasonID=8&PageNumber=1

I have not tried their pumps. Their sandals and wedges are very comfortable. They aren't glamorous... but cute enough.

Since we're on a 40s board... do any of you remember when Bass sandals were all the rage? I was in middle school. Loved them! They were so ugly, but we didn't know better (better than jellies). Well, about 4 years ago, I found a Bass Outlet store when we were traveling. I found the most comfortable pair of wedges. They have cork heels (pretty high). They were fun to wear with sundresses. You never know where you'll find something you like. Keep an open mind. Try on a bunch to see what feels good and fits your style.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file