Transitioning to CG and need some help, encouragement - something

I am trying to go CG and wondering if what I'm experiencing is part of the transition or if something is wrong with my routine.

I've been at it for a week. The first few days my hair looked great. Now it looks awful. There's a lot of frizz, in some places it looks really dry and the waves are stick-like and other places it looks like I have build-up and very greasy. Either way - my hair is looking really bad.

This is what I am doing:
1. co-wash with sauve naturals
2. conditioner - GF triple nutrition
3. Giovanni direct leave-in
4. Aveda flax seed aloe gel
5. trying out plopping
6. air-drying

I did an ACV rinse last night. It felt good, but my hair is still looking pretty bad today.

I'm wondering if I should try a low-poo or no-poo b/c it looks like build-up, but I'm worried about drying out my hair b/c other places it looks really dry.
Me: 2c, medium-coarse, thick
Began my mod-CG routine May 2010

DD (6 yo): 3c (tightly-curly girl) - now loving KCCC for her!
DS (3 yo): a mix of 3b/3c/4a

Comments

• Kris&herKurlyKidsKris&herKurlyKids Posts: 55Registered Users
    Also another question I have: if I decide to go low-poo, how can I tell that a shampoo is low-poo? I'd really like to pick something up at the store and not have to order online.

So basically what's the difference b/n low-poo and regular shampoo? I'm assuming low-poo has no sulfates?????

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I am trying to go CG and wondering if what I'm experiencing is part of the transition or if something is wrong with my routine.

I've been at it for a week. The first few days my hair looked great. Now it looks awful. There's a lot of frizz, in some places it looks really dry and the waves are stick-like and other places it looks like I have build-up and very greasy. Either way - my hair is looking really bad.

This is what I am doing:
    1. co-wash with sauve naturals
    2. conditioner - GF triple nutrition
    3. Giovanni direct leave-in
    4. Aveda flax seed aloe gel
    5. trying out plopping
    6. air-drying

I did an ACV rinse last night. It felt good, but my hair is still looking pretty bad today.

I'm wondering if I should try a low-poo or no-poo b/c it looks like build-up, but I'm worried about drying out my hair b/c other places it looks really dry.

What you're going through is very normal after the first week or so of CG.

The cones cover up damage, so what you're seeing now is what the cones were covering up. We all do have places on our head that are drier than others though, so that could be contributing. If you're worried it's build up (which I STILL always get after awhile even with CG stuff) I'd definitely recommend you try a low poo. You're correct that a low poo is a non sulfate shampoo. Giovanni ones are low poos.

Depending on your curl pattern or wave pattern, you may just need to use low poos. I do; I alternate most of the time between a conditioning cleanser and a low poo. But sometimes even THAT's not enough and I have to use a clarifying shampoo. It's not often though.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kris&herKurlyKidsKris&herKurlyKids Posts: 55Registered Users
    Thank you for the response. It's reassuring to know this is normal. I'm guessing the frizz is a part of this as well b/c I'm doing everything I can think of to avoid frizz, but it's still there.

I went ahead and did a low-poo last night. I was able to get some GTTT and my head feels immensely better. Looking at the 2s board - it looks like it is pretty common to need a low-poo as part of the routine.

I'm going to try and tweak things one at a time so I don't get myself all confused as to what's working and what isn't.

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Thank you for the response. It's reassuring to know this is normal. I'm guessing the frizz is a part of this as well b/c I'm doing everything I can think of to avoid frizz, but it's still there.

I went ahead and did a low-poo last night. I was able to get some GTTT and my head feels immensely better. Looking at the 2s board - it looks like it is pretty common to need a low-poo as part of the routine.

I'm going to try and tweak things one at a time so I don't get myself all confused as to what's working and what isn't.

That's a very good plan. :D

It kinda stinks to hear you just have to stick it out, but it's so true.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file