drying problemos.

rizadorach.rizadorach. Registered Users Posts: 34
alrightyyy. i've started the curly girl method over (...again) and i ordered more than $100 worth of products to try out. i'm that desperate. this evening, i used a protein treatment because i'm pretty sure i was over-conditioned. i then followed up with a deep treatment, i left that on for roughly forty five minutes. then i water washed, and tried out curlkeeper and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]. i diffused. (there's no difference, for me, between this and air-drying except my hair feels really good)

but my ever-present problem is that my hair dries as one, if that makes sense. my curls are so separated, there's frizz on top and i'm just so frustrated. it's not volume, it's pure puffiness. in some places, it's not even really curls. i can post pictures if needed. any help? again, i'm desperate. ANY help is so appreciated, you have no idea, haha.
CG since 5/10.

medium texture, low porosity, low elasticity, high density, 3c, apl.

almost a year and i still have no clue what i'm doing. (;

Comments

• nana_banananana_banana Registered Users Posts: 735
    Alright, I have a few questions for you. Things that I find make my hair frizzy, poofy, and make my curl pattern not very noticeable.

How often are you coming your hair? Or are you using a brush?
    -Brushing my hair separates my curls in a bad way and makes it poofy and makes my curls undefined. Even combing does this too, but not so much. I only comb once a week and only enough to get out the tangles. I don't over comb.

Are you using conditioner for leave-in every day?
    -For me and my hair, frizz=not moisturized enough. As well as doing weekly deep treatments, I use a leave-in every day underneath my products.

Do you still have any chemically treated or heat damaged parts?
    -When I still had damaged parts to my hair, these sections were always the most frizzy and unhealthiest. If you haven't done so already, chop'em off! You won't miss the length at all especially if it's not helping out with the appearance of your hair.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • rizadorach.rizadorach. Registered Users Posts: 34
    thank you so much for the response. (:

hmm. well, i don't comb because i don't have a wide-tooth. and i do brush my products in sometimes, with a fake denman (goody, i think).

i use a curljunkie leave in under my gel and stylers, so i think i'm good.

gahh, that's what i was afraid of. i did straighten a LOT and got about three relaxers in a few years, maybe the past four or so. my mom isn't too keen on me cutting my hair.
    CG since 5/10.

• naima225naima225 Registered Users Posts: 5
    It's better to have short, healthy hair, than long hair with damaged, frizzy ends. A good cut trumps length every time. Much more attractive.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    When was your last relaxer? It might not have grown out yet, so the relaxed hair isn't holding a curl.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    thank you both. (: i'm just scared that good hair isn't worth the enormous fight that'll ensue.

ellepixie; my last relaxer was two years ago.
    CG since 5/10.

thank you both. (: i'm just scared that good hair isn't worth the enormous fight that'll ensue.

Okay, cool. If you were straightening a lot you most likely have heat damage, especially if you weren't deep conditioning/doing protein treatments often to keep your hair in shape. It will most likely take more than one treatment to get your hair back on track. Do your roots look like the rest of your hair or can you see a clear difference?
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »

Okay, cool. If you were straightening a lot you most likely have heat damage, especially if you weren't deep conditioning/doing protein treatments often to keep your hair in shape. It will most likely take more than one treatment to get your hair back on track. Do your roots look like the rest of your hair or can you see a clear difference?

yeah, that's what i thought. and i most definitely was not doing anything even close to that. i straightened my hair every day before school and that was it.

as far as treatments go, i'm all ears, haha. (:

well, i'm not sure if you mean the curl pattern or what. when wet, there's no difference, it's mostly the same as my ends. but my hair dries so fast. literally, from the moment i walk out of the shower and start to attempt to apply products, after five minutes the back of my head is only slightly damp. during the drying process, my roots lose all curl definition and they're super puffy, which is part of the reason for the overall sticking-out-ness when it's dry. :P
    CG since 5/10.

bumppp? sorry to be annoying. xD
    CG since 5/10.

Can you post pictures? If it's damage, your roots should be different. Has your hair been a different pattern before - like, is this new? Also, what products are you using to style your hair? Just wondering, if your hair is fairly uniform that might be the natural texture of your hair.
    YouTube
    Also, what protein treatment and DT did you do?
    YouTube
  • natural_dancer86natural_dancer86 Registered Users Posts: 159
    Alright, I have a few questions for you. Things that I find make my hair frizzy, poofy, and make my curl pattern not very noticeable.

How often are you coming your hair? Or are you using a brush?
    -Brushing my hair separates my curls in a bad way and makes it poofy and makes my curls undefined. Even combing does this too, but not so much. I only comb once a week and only enough to get out the tangles. I don't over comb.

Are you using conditioner for leave-in every day?
    -For me and my hair, frizz=not moisturized enough. As well as doing weekly deep treatments, I use a leave-in every day underneath my products.

Do you still have any chemically treated or heat damaged parts?
    -When I still had damaged parts to my hair, these sections were always the most frizzy and unhealthiest. If you haven't done so already, chop'em off! You won't miss the length at all especially if it's not helping out with the appearance of your hair.

Thank you. This was very helpful for me! :thumright:
    i
    Can you post pictures? If it's damage, your roots should be different. Has your hair been a different pattern before - like, is this new? Also, what products are you using to style your hair? Just wondering, if your hair is fairly uniform that might be the natural texture of your hair.

soaking wet/fully detangled/straight out of the shower. i have a lotttt of hair, haha. i cowashed with that vo5 therapy tea stuff (i don't remember the name. :P) and rinsed with curl junkie rehab, then left in curl junkie beauticurls. i used a widetooth comb to detangle only after fingercoming out most of the knots.

still soaking wet, just different angles. and after really looking, ellepixie, you're right, my roots are different than my ends.

already starting to dry after about five minutes. craziness. D:

ahh! poof! after i finger-raked product in (curl junkie coco coffee cream, i think that's the name. and my mom basically ordered everything curl junkie for me a few weeks ago for some generous reason, so i'm trying to use it... xD) and then used the widetooth comb again for even distribution. no gel, because gel only makes my hair crunchy honestly and you get a better look at what my hair looks like without much stuff in it.

drying. revenge of the puff once more.

fully dry. i went upside down so you could sorta see what the movement of my hair is like. it's just so dryish that it doesn't really even go anywhere and when it does, it sticks out. gahhh. and the first picture are two hairs i found. two different textures, i think. is that normal?

you'll have to excuse the awful photography. i stole my brother's camera and put it on auto, hoping for the best, lol. as for protein/deep treatments, i've only done one protein and two deep. the protein was curl junkie curl fix (i told you she bought me everything!) and i followed that up with curl junkie banana hibiscus deep something. and then i've also done that, just the banana hibiscus thingy by itself.
    CG since 5/10.

Thanks so much for posting those! It helps a lot. Okay, so it looks like you have some heat damage, but your hair still looks pretty! I think that you could get better clumping depending on what products you use, and you can scrunch the straighter areas to give them a little more volume. I haven't tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink], but here are some suggestions for products that help with clumping:

- [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] (When I was transitioning, my relaxed hair actually curled with this - they were loose curls but it was curly enough were people didn't think I had a relaxer!)

- Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic - I get awesome clumping with this one

Also, if you use a product/gel and don't get the clumping you want, you can apply aloe vera gel over it, which for me helps with clumping, and then I have the hold of the other gel (AV gel doesn't really have hold).

You also may want to do a moisturizing deep treatment as well - both of those CJ prods contain protein, so you might want to try a protein-free one as well, depending on your hair texture. My hair is med/coarse, and every time I used to do a PT my curls frizzed something awful. I don't do them anymore.

hth!
    YouTube
    Thanks so much for posting those! It helps a lot. Okay, so it looks like you have some heat damage, but your hair still looks pretty! I think that you could get better clumping depending on what products you use, and you can scrunch the straighter areas to give them a little more volume. I haven't tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink], but here are some suggestions for products that help with clumping:

- [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] (When I was transitioning, my relaxed hair actually curled with this - they were loose curls but it was curly enough were people didn't think I had a relaxer!)

- Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic - I get awesome clumping with this one

Also, if you use a product/gel and don't get the clumping you want, you can apply aloe vera gel over it, which for me helps with clumping, and then I have the hold of the other gel (AV gel doesn't really have hold).

You also may want to do a moisturizing deep treatment as well - both of those CJ prods contain protein, so you might want to try a protein-free one as well, depending on your hair texture. My hair is med/coarse, and every time I used to do a PT my curls frizzed something awful. I don't do them anymore.

hth!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. i ordered some kc stuff and i dced. we'll see how it goes and i'll let you know. but again, thank youuu. (:
    CG since 5/10.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file