Need advice for 3c teen

lanetteinazlanetteinaz Registered Users Posts: 2
My daughter has 3c type hair. All she does is wash and pull it into a top pony, and leaves it. It frizzes and falls out, never looks good. Drives my nutz, and she will not take advice from me. I have type 3, but hers is thicker and tighter curls then mine.

It's gotten to the point that as a Jr. in High School getting ready to start her Senior year. And then she will be on her own.

I need help on how to help her deal with her hair. She has decided to go into the military, which means she needs to get a handle on this hair or she will have to go bald (not a good look for a white girl).

I am at my wits end. I don't want to shave her, butI know the military has strict rules on how female hair is to look.

Most of what I have looked up she could keep it long but needs to put it in a bun.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    If I'm correct (and I may not be) for a female in the military the hair must be above the collar when worn down, or else it has to be in a bun or tucked-in twist.

Personally, I'd shave it. I used to shave mine -- down to 3/4" guide comb -- and it looked *fab*. Looks, however, might be secondary consideration if she's going to have to go through basic and early mornings, which is where I think a buzz would come in handy. There is just no way I, personally, am going to be pinning back fluffy hair at ungodly hours of the morning just to go slog around and do something physically objectionable. :D

The next easiest thing would, I think, be to let it get long and practice greasing it up (coconut oil keeps my hair in place really well, and tames frizzies, plus if it's in a low, tight bun it will just look very shiny, rather than greasy *and* it's an all day DT. Hey!), bunning and pinning. A low pony tail or braid with hair flopped around and then secured with about a million bobby pins is probably the quickest way to effect this.

I cannot even fathom attempting to keep frizzy, thick, curly hair in a style shorter than collar length with minimal time to make it look presentable, which will, I think, be required of the final appearance.
  • lanetteinazlanetteinaz Registered Users Posts: 2
    CurlyToast wrote: »
    If I'm correct (and I may not be) for a female in the military the hair must be above the collar when worn down, or else it has to be in a bun or tucked-in twist.

Personally, I'd shave it. I used to shave mine -- down to 3/4" guide comb -- and it looked *fab*. Looks, however, might be secondary consideration if she's going to have to go through basic and early mornings, which is where I think a buzz would come in handy. There is just no way I, personally, am going to be pinning back fluffy hair at ungodly hours of the morning just to go slog around and do something physically objectionable. :D

The next easiest thing would, I think, be to let it get long and practice greasing it up (coconut oil keeps my hair in place really well, and tames frizzies, plus if it's in a low, tight bun it will just look very shiny, rather than greasy *and* it's an all day DT. Hey!), bunning and pinning. A low pony tail or braid with hair flopped around and then secured with about a million bobby pins is probably the quickest way to effect this.

I cannot even fathom attempting to keep frizzy, thick, curly hair in a style shorter than collar length with minimal time to make it look presentable, which will, I think, be required of the final appearance.

Thank you :)

I have debated the cutting it short, and it might be what will have to be done. Especially since she doesn't put much effort into it. I thought that when she started high school she would start caring about how it looked and start figuring out how to take care of it. LOL I was way off base, she just washes it and puts it in a top pony and lets it fly. It frizzes, and she has one lock that is straight it's so funny, all the bunched up curls and on straight lock. But she doesn't care, and will not let me do anything. GRRR!

Short maybe our only option for the military.

Thanks again for the help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file