Help please!

Curly-queCurly-que Registered Users Posts: 2
I use mousse, but lately I've been starting to think that maybe it's not right for my hair type. My hair is more 3B on the bottom layer, and then 3a on the top. What does everyone use on their hair-like a mousse, gel or something else.
I currently use Reken 07 Volumizing Mousse and Herbal Essences Scrunching Gel.
Thank you!!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Most of us use a variety of products. My stylist doesn't recommend using mousse, as it's very drying (not just alcohol, the propellant.)

One of the best things you can do is determine your texture and porosity. There's a thread in the Newby Forum started by Struttswife that will help, or you can go to her website: http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ Once you determine your hair properties (more important then type), look for people with hair like yours and see what products they use. Most of us have it in their signatures.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aunttallulahaunttallulah Registered Users Posts: 206
    Kathy - I've noticed in your sig that you use spiral solutions as a LI - which product do you use?
    Toronto, Ontario Curlie
    2c/3a Fine Texture/Normal Porostiy/Normal elasticity
    Using:CJCR/CJBH, Kevin Murphy Maxi wash, AG: recoil, JCCC, DBPSC, SSPT, SSPS, CHSCK
    Air Dry only!
    Want to take my new found knowledge and apply it to make lovely lush locks!
    Living life one curl at a time!
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Kathy - I've noticed in your sig that you use spiral solutions as a LI - which product do you use?

I just have Spiral Solutions listed. I think you're seeing the Shescentit leave ins--I use the Coco Creme and the Moisture Mist. runnerchicki is coming out with a leave in, if I use one of her products as a leave in, I use a minute amount of the DT on my canopy. Hope this answers your question.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Registered Users Posts: 764
    Mousse makes my hair a mess. I haven't had luck with any mousse, although I know some people have....

My hair tends to be a bit porous, so it likes heavier products even though it is fine. Mousse seems to just make it look like a dandelion head gone to seed -- pouffy and shapeless. I use a curling jelly or curling cream (in the winter) and a medium hold gel on top. I scrunch out crunch with a bit of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] or shea butter. Otherwise, I have shapeless curls.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • ElysiumElysium Registered Users Posts: 12
    ITA with pigreyhound, my hair is a mess if I use mousse. My hair has a tendency to poof if my styler doesn't have enough hold in it. I use Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel, which has extra hold (I think it might be the strongest one in the HE line?) It works great and really helps to define my curls and keep the frizzies down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file