Flat iron damage

toreetoree Registered Users Posts: 1
In November, a friend of mine flat ironed my hair with a CHI. She applied a heat protectant CHI product before she began flat ironing my hair. After she flat ironed it, my hair was bone straight, however, it smelled somewhat burnt. I washed my hair about a week later and it was still semi-straight/wavy. It's been about six months and no matter what shampoo/conditioner or hair styling products I use, my hair does not curl the way it used to.

I have done some internet research on this and some people say that my hair might be permanently damaged but I hope this isn't true.

If anyone knows what products would be best to use, I would really appreciate the feedback. I just want my curl back!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Wow, your friend must have really have had the heat set to extremely high on the iron!! I've used an iron for years, and I've never had any damage. I used to flatiron everyday, but I never kept the iron on my hair for long. I would just quickly pass it thru small sections of my hair.

I think you probably need some sort of deep conditioning treatment and/or a protein treatment. Is your hair coarse or fine? Is it thick or thin?

A lot of people on here seem to like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment[/buylink]. I also like the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor (protein treatment).

You may also want to get the ends of your hair trimmed. Eventually, the damaged hair will grow out. I don't think it will be permanent, but I'm not sure.

Do you ever use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner? That really makes my hair soft and silky.
    Also, I sometimes use Agadir Argan Oil Spray Treatment. This repairs and adds elasticity to dry, damaged, and frizzy hair. Just a little goes a long way, and it's not greasy at all. (This is not CG though, if that matters).

Good luck to you. :) I hope your hair improves soon.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    I used my friend's CHI once. My hair smelled burnt afterward too, which is why I've never been a fan. I've flat ironed my hair several times a week for the last 2 years with a cheaper iron from Sally's and have never had a problem with major damage nor does my hair ever smell burnt so that should not have happened to you. I'm guessing maybe she didn't use a good enough heat protectant? Or she went over the hair over and over and over. That's another mistake made with flat ironing. You should only pass thru the section once to minimize damage.

The damage isn't permanent and I agree with above poster- get your ends trimmed. In time, the damaged hair will grow out. In the mean time, condition, condition, condition! Do deep treatments and use a leave in. I recommend ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer. It's a leave-in spray available at Sally's for like $7. Another poster on here turned me on to it. I use it to prevent/minimize damage but I've also read it's good for hair that's already damaged.

Have patience and baby your hair and your curls will come back! Good luck! :)
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • Fluffy01Fluffy01 Registered Users Posts: 271
    Anything with a heavy dose of protein should work fine. Like was rec'd...Joico Kpak is a big fave.

Anniemae, what kind of flat iron do you use if you don't mind? I'm looking for one that won't damage my hair as badly. Thanks!
  • LibraLady81LibraLady81 Registered Users Posts: 1
    T.K.R--- I have the same problem. I have a CHI flat iron that I have been using for the last 6 mos. I absolutely love the way it straightens my hair, but when the weather got warm it was time to rock the curls again. The front part of my hair has always been straigher than the rest, but this time it was bone straight. (i did use the iron more on the front/top than the rest) I have been doing the curly for about 3 weeks now and it seems like the hair in the front has more of a slight wave to it but I want my curls back. Thankfully the rest of my hair was not affected. I'm hoping that the more that my hair is in it's nautral state the more it will revert back. :dontknow:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file