new frustrated gray curlie

pchpch Posts: 23Registered Users
I have been growing out my hair since Aug 09 from a very short cut. I am at a point where I am about ready to throw in the towel. My hair only looks good wet. When it dries and after working outside I look like a nightmare. I am tempted to go back to short hair. I have read everyone's ideas on what products work great and have tried many. I just don't know what to do.

Comments

• xxxxxxxxxx Posts: 94Registered Users
    x
  • pchpch Posts: 23Registered Users
    I have tried everything (pins, clips, headbands, etc) and feels like just about every product. I have so much frizz and look so out of control. If I use to much gel it looks stiff, too little and mucho frizz. I guess I don't have a lot of patience. When dry, my hair is just above my ears. I was hoping that the longer my hair got the more it would turn some of these tight curls into nice waves. I think at the rate my hair is growing that this could take another 2 years. I just know I will be upset with myself if I cut it.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Try to hang in there! The growing out stage is just the pits. My hair grows super slow and it seemed to take forever to get past the shoulder length that I dislike so much on me.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    jeep, your hair looks to be below your shoulders. How long did that take? As you know, one of the problems of growing out short hair is the millions of different lengths. I can't remember when I last had my hair all one length. I think I have my hair in a pretty healthy condition, I just can't control it. One person told me I have old lady curls. Boy, that made me feel good. I guess I will just have to put up with the uglies for quite a while.
    x
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    It took about a year to go from just touching my shoulders to a few inches below shoulder length dry. I trimmed it a couple times during the year. It seems to take forever since it curls up and doesn't look like it's growing as much as it is.
    Slowly but surely it gets there tho! : )

I'm actually dying to go back to a chin length bob. But it's hard to take care of since I spend alot of time on motorcycles, at the beach, etc. It's just easier to put it up in a pony and forget about it, which I can't do when it's chin length. But one of these days I'll break down and chop it off.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    x
    porzellan wrote: »
    if you really chop it, don´t you think you will live to rue it, jeep?

Yes! Which is why I stop myself from doing it!
    But I see all these wonderful curly bobs here on NC and it's the length that really does look best on me. But it's just harder to live with so I'm fighting it off. : )
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you have a hair stylist you trust? Maybe you could make an appointment for style advice. Get a trim, only if necessary to re-shape, and spend most of the appointment learning how to manage your hair while you're growing it out. Get product and technique suggestions. And even try it in front of her/him so they can watch and give advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    as i had read on the goinggraylookinggreat website, people often start coloring their hair again due to shorter length, not the color.
    i also cut my hair and am frustrated with the length, it's at that awkward stage now. i stopped coloring in march 09, and cut most of the color off in nov 09. i am glad i stopped coloring, love the color, but am frustrated with finding the right products for great hair.
    hair without pigment needs a lot more moisture. deep condition often, use lots of leave in conditioner. i find i can no longer use gels, they are very drying. i do use curl creams and butters.
    the more moisture my hair has, the happier it is and i am!!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Keep trying different products and routines and maybe something will click for you. If you can just hang in there, those "old lady curls" will lengthen into spirals and/or corkscrews. In the meantime, don't listen to dumb remarks like that.

The growing out stage is never easy, but it sure is worth it later!
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
    x
    I thank everyone for their encouragement. I was out today and didn't think my hair looked very good. A woman asked me if I was a natural curly and then told me how beautiful my hair looked. That really stopped my whining. A woman I met in Florida told me to just embrace my curls and wear them proud. I guess I need to stop being so critical and just go with the flow. Someday porzellan and I will have beautiful long curls. I am going to try the curl cremes as opposed to the gels. I agree that some gels are drying. I do like CJ curl in a bottle. I don't find that gel as harsh as others.

porzellan - I am going to give this brewer's yeast thing a try. I hope it doesn't taste too bad.
    x

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file