My son is going to Brisbane. Need your advice.

MsBMsB Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hi all.

I know this is a swap board and this has nothing to do with a swap. But I need your help.

My son is going to be doing a semester abroad at the University of Queensland. He has a type 4 hair and uses trader joe shampoo with tea tree and trader joes conditioner. He had been using the curls quench curls moisturizer. But I accidentally bought the curls Moist Curls Moisturizer/Detangler for kids and he decided he likes that even more because it doesn't have as much sent and seems lighter to him.

So here is his problem. He want to try products he can buy in places like drug stores etc in Brisbane. He was hoping to experiment with products in the USA before trying them in Australia. The problem is we don't know what lines are available in Australia. Is there one you would recommend.

He doesn't like things heavily scented, or that will leave his hair crisp,greasy or weighted down. I've also noticed he seems to prefer moisturizing products he can spray in his hair as opposed to creams.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    hi and YAY for recruiting another curly!!
    I'm sure he'll love it here :D

Don't even apologize about not swapping anything - we hardly ever do that here. Mainly just chit chat about products we've found etc.

Sorry to burst the hope bubble, but unfortunately most of the product available there aren't available here. Even if the brand is here a lot of the time the ingredients have be altered!

My advice is either stock him up with some products before he leaves, to either keep him going for a bit or the whole time depending how long he is here. You could order more online while he's here or just send him care packages every now and then??

Or have a read of some of the threads here - a lot of info, but we've source out most of the cg products we can find, so he'll at least have a start of what is cg and what isn't.

I'm sorry it isn't an easier fix than that. Hopefully someone who's from more up north will chime in and give some feed back too.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Tricky!

Nature's Gate seems to be readily available around Australia. Matrix Biolage is pretty easy to get hold of.

You can get Giovanni in some health food shops.

Samy is available.

Spray leave-ins are hard to get without cones in them. The Giovanni one was one of the few that I found.

If you go non-CG then you have more options with all your Redken, Joico etc being available here.
  • MsBMsB Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you both for your suggestions. He is really excited to be going to Brisbane.

Taking products is difficult. When he read the rules about the size of liquids he could bring it ruled out not only his hair products but his Coromega that he takes. Care packages sound like the way to go.

Maybe I'll also have him try some Giovani while he is here. And I haven't ever looked at the nature's gate or matrix biolage. What is Samy?

Are there particular products you would recommend for his type 4 hair that are readily available there?
    unfortunately as I don't have type 4 hair I'm not sure what the recommend. Has he tried any of the AO products? You can get them in some health food stores here, also a website.

these are the samy products

nautres gate is nice and so is martic biolage - be careful if he's cg though as some of their product do contain cone.s

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Not sure were you live now but thought I would point out that Brisbane tends to be more on the humid side so that obviously effects the products you use.

Garnier Fructis is readily available but I think we have slightly different products. There are a couple of CG products there though and are obviously cheaper.

Our imported products are pretty expensive. I am paying approx $25 for KMS shampoo. Most of the Redken, Biolage etc are over the $20 mark.
    we have just started to get the tresemme naturals line stores such as priceline and supermarkets too. usually about $11 for huge bottles. However I have seen them on sale atm for around $7

• MsBMsB Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi I know these messages are old. But I wanted to let you know that my son was able to order his Giovanni products on-line in Australia.
  • tightlycurlygurltightlycurlygurl Posts: 67Registered Users
    MsB wrote: »
    Hi I know these messages are old. But I wanted to let you know that my son was able to order his Giovanni products on-line in Australia.

Hi MsB, funny just today I posted about going to spend a year studying in Melbourne (I'm pretty excited!) and wanting to know what's available on the ground over there.I'm 4a as well and I like Giovanni so i'm glad to know I can access it online. Which website did he use btw? Another thing I was wondering is about some Herbal essences hair gels (set me up gel to be exact), do you know if thats available online or on the ground? I tried doing a search but came up with nothing.
    4a/b, fine to medium, high porosity.
    Co wash: VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream
    DC: SheaMoisture deep treatments
    Leave-In: KCKT, VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry and Sage, SheaM
    Styling: KCCC, sometimes ecostyler, Donna Marie MiraCurls.
    "Rejoice in the hope!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file