Need Oven Roasted Chicken Ideas

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
use kosher salt or sea salt
use freshly cracked black pepper

seasonings inside: 4-5 whole garlic cloves, fresh thyme, rosemary, shallots and 1 lemon cut in half.

put the chicken on a roasting rack and line the bottom of the pan with red potatoes, onions, celery

baste the chicken with either olive oil or clarified butter. If you're really naughty, put strips of bacon on top.

For a completely different flavour you can season with fresh ginger, garlic and lemongrass
hello.world.

Comments

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I did the Barefoot Contessa's roast chicken the other day and it was quite delicious.

Just wash the chicken, pat dry. Season inside with salt, pepper and several sprigs of thyme. Cut a head of garlic in half and stuff inside the chicken along with a lemon cut into quarters. Truss. Brush melted butter on the outside of the chicken, and season with more salt, pepper and thyme.

Toss chunks of carrot, onion and fennel with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top. Roast at 450 until done (about an hour and a half for a typical fryer).
  • gooppygooppy Posts: 39Registered Users
    We're tired of the same old oven roasted chicken. Anyone have any new ideas? I've got a bird in the fridge that HAS to be cooked.
    I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
  • IsabeauIsabeau Posts: 21Registered Users
    I made that, too! I love the Barefoot Contessa!

My bird came out tasty!! icon_biggrin.gif
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    We do a similar to the one marielle posted.

Rosemary on the outside of the bird and take one whole lemon, nuke it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds then, pierce the lemon numerous times with a toothpick and put inside chicken.

Cook as normal. Chicken comes out so juicy and yummy.
  • Long 'n CurlyLong 'n Curly Posts: 5Registered Users
    I put a rub underneath the skin of the breast & thighs. Just gently push your hands under the skin and apply the seasoning. I've used chinese spice rubs, bbq rubs, and poultry rubs. It's easy, just take care not to rip the skin.

Another version, lemon slices underneath the skin, also tastes good.
  • RylandCurlRylandCurl Posts: 33Registered Users
    PAPER BAG CHICKEN.

Thisis a real quick and easy oven chicken recipe, and although the method sounds weird, it really works. It cooks evenly, it's moist, not greasy.

Season the chicken. I just take the junk out of the cavity, season with paprika, garlic and pepper and whatever floats my boat that day.

Then, put it in a paper bag. Yes, a brown paper bag from the supermarket! Roll the ends of the bag to close it up, and either staple it closed or use some paper clips to keep it secure.

Put the paper bag on a rack on a baking pan, put it in the oven at 350 for 3 or 4 hours.

The grease drips down. THE BAG DOES NOT BURN! The bird stays nice and moist. It's quick and easy to prepare, you just shove it in the oven and forget it until it's time to take it out. You never have to worry that it's going to burn or dry out (unless you leave it in for a really long time. And you don't have to put any grease on the chicken.
    Suburban DC area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file