Homemade conditioners and hair color

pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Registered Users Posts: 248
Hola ladies and gents! I'm having my hair colored blonde this weekend and I'm curious how homemade conditioners might effect my colored hair. I've been wanting to try honey, bananas, avocado, coconut milk, and various oils on my hair....but wonder if it'll work well with color or might make it fade. Anyone have any ideas or tips? Thanks so much :)
*MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
Sealant- jojoba oil

Comments

• SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    Olive oil is supposed to fade color. Honey can have a lightening effect, there is some compound in it that produces peroxide when it is mixed with water. From what I understand, it's pH sensitive so it doesn't always happen; depends on your tap water's pH. Heating honey first neutralizes the peroxide.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Registered Users Posts: 248
    Weird...I just read somewhere online that olive oil helps preserve hair color....oh well. I'll only be using it once a month in a DC treatment. The only oils I see myself using on a daily basis is castor and jojoba.

PrePoo- EVOO
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    Going from dark hair to blonde, the only thing that really exists to fade is the toner**, so any fading will, I imagine, be very subtle and more akin to a slight increase in brassiness, assuming an ash or violet tone was used in achieving the blonde. Prolly nothing to be tooooooo concerned about.

*Ok, so that's true about all color processes -- I meant to impress that going light from very dark was already going to be inclined toward a certain amount of golden/brass so it wouldn't be as noticeable as, say, a dark brown or auburn fading to brassy orange.
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Registered Users Posts: 248
    CurlyToast wrote: »
    Going from dark hair to blonde, the only thing that really exists to fade is the toner**, so any fading will, I imagine, be very subtle and more akin to a slight increase in brassiness, assuming an ash or violet tone was used in achieving the blonde. Prolly nothing to be tooooooo concerned about.

*Ok, so that's true about all color processes -- I meant to impress that going light from very dark was already going to be inclined toward a certain amount of golden/brass so it wouldn't be as noticeable as, say, a dark brown or auburn fading to brassy orange.

Awesome! So it seems that I won't notice too much fading or discoloration. I've been dying to add a smidge od olive oil to my leave-in spritz. Thanks so much!

PrePoo- EVOO
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • DomesticDivaDomesticDiva Registered Users Posts: 2
    I think olive oil will enhance your curls perfectly. Been using this to my wavy hair and it seems to make it look good. Once I decided to really curl my hair, would try jojoba and honey as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file