CurlTalk

I just can't master French toast :(

HollisHollis Posts: 7Registered Users
Ok, does anyone have a really good recipe for french toast? Also, can you tell me how to cook it since everytime I try, the middle always comes out wet and mushy icon_sad.gif

Thanks
3A hair - very curly underneath, looser curls on top.
Current staples: Ouidad Curl Quencher shampoo, Nexxus Humectress conditioner (leave-in), Biolage Gelee.

Comments

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    This isn't a proper recipe, but this is how I make mine:

4 slices of white bread (not crappy white bread, I like Pepperidge Farm Hearty White)
    2 eggs
    vanilla extract
    ground cinnamon

Preheat your pan (I use a nonstick stovetop griddle - perfect size for 4 slices) and spray cooking spray (like Pam) on it so it won't stick. Put it over medium heat.

Beat the two eggs with a splash of water in a shallow bottom bowl (shallow enough where you don't have to really bend the bread to get it in there). Add about a teaspoon of vanilla extract (the better quality the vanilla, the better it will taste) and about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the egg mixture and mix well.

Make sure your pan is HOT. It should be on medium so it won't burn the toast, but when you flich droplets of water on it, you should get a pretty good sizzle.

When your pan is hot enough, dip each slice into the egg mixture, coating both sides evenly. Don't let the bread soak in the egg, just dip in, then out.

After you dip each slice, put them on the pan. Check them after a couple minutes, and when brown, flip them over. Do the same thing on the other side and you should have yourself some tasty french toast!

Cinnamon raisin bread also makes good french toast!
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • stephenestephene Posts: 20Registered Users
    A loaf of King's Hawaian Bread, cut as many slices as you need.

Mix eggs
    dashes of cinnamon (to your taste)
    A couple drops of Vanilla Extract (your taste again)
    Pinch of sugar

In a saucepan, heat together honey (or syrup, whichever you like) and some butter...

Dip your bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides...drop a pat of butter into the skillet (I don't like to use oil of this, but I guess ya could.)then drop bread onto it. Spread butter onto the upfacing side of bread, then flip over. Once both sides are brown, remove.

Pour the heated butter/honey or syrup mixture over...it will be yummy! icon_biggrin.gif

I dunno..this is just my way, and i haven't met a soul yet who doesn't love it! icon_razz.gif
    Love creates an "us" without destroying the "me"

t-62758267.jpg
  • HollisHollis Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! These sound so yummy - I can't wait to try it this weekend.

Thanks for taking the time out to type it all up for me. I think the thing I was doing wrong was, for one, soaking the bread, and 2, not using cinnamon and vanilla. SOunds like these 2 ingredients will make all the difference.

Thanks again!
    Current staples: Ouidad Curl Quencher shampoo, Nexxus Humectress conditioner (leave-in), Biolage Gelee.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I put milk in mine--along with the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Also, if you buy an electric griddle, you'll have perfect french toast and pancakes every time. You should be cooking the french toast at least 3 minutes on the first side, so if you're not, the pan is too hot.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • shay28shay28 Posts: 2Registered Users
    My recipe is similiar to Mazeys except that I add some nutmeg as well and I defintely get generous with my vanilla. Another bread that I like Pepperidge Farm's French Toast Swirl bread thick sliced in the brown sugar cinnamon flavor.

Afterwards I fancy it up with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and powder sugar and 100% maple syrup that I heat up.

I had never done this until a month ago and now I have been making every weekend. The dh and ds like it a lot.
  • stephenestephene Posts: 20Registered Users
    DUH-how could I forget to mention my nutmeg?!?!? icon_redface.gif Thanks for reminding me. LOL.

My mom laughed the first time she saw me cooking french toast (this was after she had eaten it many times) and she was like "WHY are you putting THAT in french toast?" to like every ingredient I put in. I told her, french toast is more than just eggs,bread and milk. icon_wink.gif

Needless to say, she does love it,but it threw her for a tastey loop to learn the recipe.

Sometimes I do add milk, sometimes not.
    Love creates an "us" without destroying the "me"

t-62758267.jpg
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    If it's coming apart, you're probably soaking the bread instead of just quickly dipping on each side.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    challah (sp?) bread is great for making french toast
    hello.world.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webjockey:
    challah (sp?) bread is great for making french toast<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was an article about french toast in one section of the Sunday paper this week. It said for the "perfect" french toast to use challah or any other "egg" bread cut into 1" thick slices. This article said the type of bread used will be a major factor in your french toast turning out or not.
    3b/c
  • souds1souds1 Posts: 32Registered Users
    I make mine typically the same as everyone else, but my husbands family deep fried theirs in oil!! Then instead of using syrup, they poured cinnamon sugar on top the frenchtoast. I was grossed out when he first made it cause of all the oil, but now i love it!!
    The great tragedy of life is not that men perish, but that they cease to love.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
  • HollisHollis Posts: 7Registered Users
    You guys are great. Thanks for responding! I'll have to dig through the paper and see if I can find the article. I didnt have a chance to make the FT this past weekend, but will try it this coming weekend. I can't wait!
  • RylandCurlRylandCurl Posts: 33Registered Users
    I definitely recommend Challah bread. And I mix milk rather than water with the eggs. And, I pretty much soak the bread, then sort of ease it into the pan so it doesn't break up. Since there is so much moisture, I use a medium heat. And, I always use cinnamon sugar or honey rather than syrup.
    Suburban DC area.
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    I find any old recipe works better if you use thicker-sliced bread, like a loaf of French, and add a tablespoon or so of flour to the batter if it doesn't call for that. Also, don't soak the bread too long, maybe just a minute or so on each side; it's less soggy that way. The oil or butter should be really hot when you fry the bread.
    HTH
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • helixhelix Posts: 6Registered Users
    I've had better luck using texas toast slices. If the bread is the regular type slice, it works well if the bread is frozen before you dunk it in the batter, as it won't soak into the middle and make the bread soggy.
  • lanegra_candelalanegra_candela Posts: 3Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mazey:
    4 slices of white bread (not crappy white bread, I like Pepperidge Farm Hearty White)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you dont want white bread, you can use Wheat Bread or Potato Bread... I love using cinnamon raisin bread.

Margie
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by helix:
    I've had better luck using texas toast slices. If the bread is the regular type slice, it works well if the bread is frozen before you dunk it in the batter, as it won't soak into the middle and make the bread soggy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or toasting regular bread... that way it stays firm enough to not become soggy but also sucks in the batter. Yummy!

[URL=http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=15213&action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&queryType=and&keyword=crem e+brulee+french+toast]THIS[/URL] is the best and most rich French toast EVER. My family begs for me to make it when I visit icon_smile.gif
    <insert signature line here>
  • oliviathefirstoliviathefirst Posts: 5Registered Users
    This is fantastic. From Princesslaughingbear. I make it always for company breakfast:
    (Princesslaughingbear suggested, later, to use fewer eggs and less milk: 6 eggs and 1 cup milk)
    Baked French Toast
    I brought this to work for breakfast once and it was a huge hit. I prepared it the night before and baked it while I got ready for work... Yummy!
    1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
    8 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup butter
    1 1/3 cups brown sugar
    3 tablespoons light corn syrup
    Directions

1. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
    2. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
    3. Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: oliviathefirst ]
    2a/slightly gray
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    You can always just buy the ready-made kind from Pepperidge Farm. All you have to do is toast it. It is soooooo yummy!
  • MrKlawMrKlaw Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have a recipe similar to the baked one above, but it basically replaces some of the milk with orange juice and the vanilla with 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier (orange flavored brandy). It's great to be able to do it the night before if you're having people over and also leaves the stove top open for other things.
  • the doctorthe doctor Posts: 393Registered Users
    You can't really overcook French toast. The burny bits taste good too!
    spring1onu wrote:
    I like having something "down below"
    smurfette wrote:
    What would you call it, sci-fi guru?
    don't click this. seriously.
  • gggg Posts: 1,865Registered Users
    I hate mushy middles too so I just make sure I don't soak it in the mixture for too long, just enought to coat the bread. I also cook it as little longer. Here's my recipie. I don't measure anything. I add more eggs or milk depending on how many I will make

2 eggs
    milk
    capful of vanilla extract
    cinnamon and nutmeg
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users
    I pretty much do what everyone else does, but I LOVE my french toast with sourdough french bread!! yum! It's the perfect way to use day-old, semi-stale bread! Unfortunately, I realize that no one really has sourdough the way we do here in Northern Cali....you really don't know what you're missing!