CO wash just your scalp or your entire length?

WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Registered Users Posts: 780 Curl Connoisseur
Each time you CO wash, do you "wash" just your scalp or CO wash the entire length of your hair?

Comments

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    Both, but you should Co wash each time you wet your hair only during the first week, after that you must space the washings and just rinse your hair/scalp thoroughly with water and apply CO as needed the other times. The goal is to do only one CO wash a week or less.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    I co wash my scalp and hair usually everyday. Do what works for you.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • dahlia76dahlia76 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Is a CO wash a conditioner wash? Sorry if that's a basic question, trying to learn the lingo here!
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Registered Users Posts: 780 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, that's what it means. That is what I meant by it anyway.

There's a thread that was just started on one of the NC forums that helps explain the lingo. (Can't remember which one).
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    I usually just wash my scalp only. When I feel that my length needs it, I'll do a full wash, washing the scalp and length.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I only co-wash the scalp. Then I rinse, and coat the entire length of my hair with conditioner.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Registered Users Posts: 945
    Ok, I am confused. :? How do you Co Wash your entire length? When coating the length of hair with conditioner isn't that "co washing"? :?
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Registered Users Posts: 780 Curl Connoisseur
    This may be a double post...but

I would think that conditioner washing the length would require more friction than just applying conditioner for its traditional use would-like using the conditioner as if it was shampoo.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    This may be a double post...but

I would think that conditioner washing the length would require more friction than just applying conditioner for its traditional use would-like using the conditioner as if it was shampoo.

Wait, now I'm confused. How do you use shampoo on your length?? I've never done that. Do you rub your hair or something?
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    You can pile your hair on top of your head and massage everything at once. Kind of like they do in shampoo commercials.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Bailey422 wrote:
    You can pile your hair on top of your head and massage everything at once. Kind of like they do in shampoo commercials.
    But I thought that curly heads are not supposed to do that because it messes up our curls and causes frizz. :?
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    But I thought that curly heads are not supposed to do that because it messes up our curls and causes frizz. :?
    I'm pretty sure nobody is supposed to do it, since it also dries up the hair and causes tangles. I was just trying to answer the question. I would certainly never recommend anyone doing it. When I co-wash, I just massage the scalp. Then I rinse and apply conditioner to all of my hair. I don't consider that co-washing since I'm not massaging or "washing" anything. I'm just letting the conditioner sit there and well, condition my hair.

Bailey422 wrote:
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure nobody is supposed to do it, since it also dries up the hair and causes tangles. I was just trying to answer the question. I would certainly never recommend anyone doing it. When I co-wash, I just massage the scalp. Then I rinse and apply conditioner to all of my hair. I don't consider that co-washing since I'm not massaging or "washing" anything. I'm just letting the conditioner sit there and well, condition my hair.
    That is what I do as well. I have done the shampoo commerical in the past and I use to get the worst tangles ever. My hair still tangles mind you but nowhere to the degree that it did when I use to do the poo commerical thing.
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    Bailey422 wrote:
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:

The way I understand it, some of the molecules in the conditioner (i.e. cetrimonium chloride) can function as really mild surfectants (i.e. soap), so soaking your length in condish for extended periods of time should actually help to keep it clean. I'd say you're definitely CO washing your length even if you're not scrubbing at it.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
    From the CG book, I understood co-washing as scrubbing. Lorraine says it's the friction that gets it clean, similar to a clothes washer. Are you saying that just coating hair in conditioner is co-washing? That doesn't sound right, since wouldn't that mean that everyone that uses conditioner co-washes?

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Wether I co wash or use shampoo, I only wash my scalp, but condition everything.
    3b-3c CG
    Bailey422 wrote:
    From the CG book, I understood co-washing as scrubbing. Lorraine says it's the friction that gets it clean, similar to a clothes washer. Are you saying that just coating hair in conditioner is co-washing? That doesn't sound right, since wouldn't that mean that everyone that uses conditioner co-washes?

This is why people should read the book first rather than trying to do the routine only by hearsay.

While Lorraine does mention friction, she's referring to the scalp only, the length is treated a lot more gently. The book even has illustrations on how to apply the conditioner to the rest of the hair, etc. Long hair in particular should never be piled up wet and/or scrubbed harshly because it will tangle, break or at least become weak. It's best to gently run the CO down the length of the hair (applying more as needed) and then clipping it on the back of your hair while you proceed with the rest of your shower, then rinse thoroughly and reapply CO - sometimes a 2nd more nourishing CO is best than just using only one kind for both. I used to get perfect results washing with one rich in oils (both seed/nut and essential oils) and a higher pH, then finishing with one with jojoba oil, herbs, soy protein and a low pH.

If like 99% of curlies you have need of using a gel, only "washing" the scalp in most cases will not be enough to remove it from your hair as they do have film-forming ingredients, this alone can make the difference between ever needing to clarify or not.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• KurlyPinkKurlyPink Registered Users Posts: 38
    HalfwavyHalfcurly, I know you've mentioned it somewhere before but what products do you use? and what is your routine?
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    teela that's the way it works on my hair. It might not be part of the CO definition perhaps but that's what is happening on my hair. I make sure I leave the conditioner that I wash with on my length so that it can help breakup the gel that is on there.
    I learned that from the Long hair community. Boy those ladies have some long healthy shiny hair too.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
    KurlyPink:

About what I'm using, nothing remarkable. I don't want to repeat it so you can read it here.

As to routine, on average I CO-wash once a week, and rinse usually every other day. Sometimes, if my hair detangles well in the shower, I don't use CO at all to prevent my fine hair from getting weighed down; then I gently scrunch off the excess water and apply a styling product. Scrunching often just disturbs my fragile curls so if I end up combing it through, which eliminates all curl, I first part it and separate both sides with clips, then add a bit more water to the hair, bend over from the waist (to let it hang in front of me), gently twist it together (to reunite the strands) and "accordeon" it with the open palm of my hand to encourage it to recurl, then I straighten up and "voilà" - any renegade curls are dealt with individually...

If I have time I let it air dry completely, if not I partially diffuse, only when in extreme hurry I'll diffuse all the way but after "fluffing" I lightly mist with a spray leave-in to compensate. When dry I again bend over and "fluff" it to separate the curls from the scalp. If there is obvious crunch and the hair still looks flat I rub a couple of drops of jojoba oil in my palms and gently twist all the hair in my hands to completely break the crunch and add fullness. At bedtime I lightly spritz it with water then put on a satin bonnet. After I get up I "refresh" with Lavender Mist or just distilled water and when dry I "fluff" again.

If I've used a product with 'cones a few times AND feel the need to clarify, I may use an ACV rinse or "Lemon-Aid".

A couple of days ago I used an Epsom Salt/honey rinse and followed with DEP Volume Foaming Gel and my curls held pretty well, so it's something I'll repeat. Today I used FOTEAVG (Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel) and honey after a long "absence" (in '04 when my hair was longer it frizz-proofed it VERY well). Hold was gentle (so I may need a bit more honey next time) and my hair looks good. I would stick with this but my restless "inner kitchen chemist" is propelling me towards making a batch of my other old favorite, flaxseed gel, only I ate all my flaxseeds so it'll have to wait until I can stop at the health food store for more.

• tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    I COwash my scalp only by vigorously scrubbing it. I then apply conditioner to my entire length and let it sit for a few minutes. I, too believe it's the scrubbing of the scalp that clean it. then it must be thoroughly rinsed out.

Finally apply a stronger conditioner raked throughout your whole head, concentrating mainly on the ends which are prone to dryness. HTH!

BTW--I COwash once per week. If it dries out or feels lifeless during the week, I'll water wash.
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Most often I cowash scalp only, and put a very small amount of condish. on canopy, and ends.

Initially I cowashed full length when first starting out but have found that I do not have to cowash the entire head of hair everyday. I cowash about 3 times a week with special attnl to my dryspots on the back of my head main canopy area. My hair is dry so it can handle it. The minute I feel too much build up I do an ACV rinse.

Good luck.
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
    RedheadCurly
  • lunarisinglunarising Registered Users Posts: 71
    I condition wash my scalp every two days letting the conditioner run down the length as I rinse.

Then I apply a richer conditioner and comb through and rinse that out completely.

*Then* I apply a leave in or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Milkshake[/buylink] as a leave in.

By trial and error I found that leaving in my second conditioner gave me terrible dandruff and other scalp problems. Now my hair and scalp are happy :roll:
    event.png

Modified CG - Suave coconut conditioner (CW), BC Down and Out, and and Aussie MM conditioner my current loves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file