Going CG?-- need advice

tinabcurlytinabcurly Registered Users Posts: 545
I'm brand new here and would love some advice. I want to try CG & am not sure how to get rid of the gunk on my hair now. Tons of cones coating my hair.
I think I'm 3a/b with c underneath in back. Dry (from products?), coarse, to the middle of my back (small of my back when pulled straight)

I end up in a pony tail/twist everyday because of the frizz which is causing breakage. My bathroom looks like I'm a retailer.
All the silicone is coating my hair & I can't get conditioner into it without clarifying. I'm ready to shave it off. :(

Any advice to get started? It's confusing-- proteins are bad? That's like telling me the world is flat!
Thanks in advance!!
3a/b mix
pw:curlyqs

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Well you definitley do want to clarify before starting. I know that mild shampoos can get cones out, but I would use a good old fashioned clarifying shampoo without cones, just becuase I've used all sorts of bad ingredients my whole life. Then I suggest doing a deep conditioner that has no cones in it after you clarify. This is a new start! Then your hair may be dry, as mine was, so I suggest co washing daily for a few weeks, then you start to search for a curly routine that's right for you! I ended up being modified CG because I got overconditioned while doing regular CG.
    3b-3c CG
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Registered Users Posts: 545
    Great -thanks! I have Suave Daily Clarifying-- that should do it right?
    I just checked my conditioner stockpile 9 in all :shock:... 4 have dimeth, 2 have amodimeth, 2 have both & 1 has cyclo. Ok, to the store I go.
    Sorry to be a PITA, but any suggestions for store/salon bought conditioners without cones? I want to start asap rather than wait for something to come in the mail, cost is not a concern.
    I'll need deep & washing.
    3a/b mix
    tinabcurly wrote:
    Great -thanks! I have Suave Daily Clarifying-- that should do it right?
    I just checked my conditioner stockpile 9 in all :shock:... 4 have dimeth, 2 have amodimeth, 2 have both & 1 has cyclo. Ok, to the store I go.
    Sorry to be a PITA, but any suggestions for store/salon bought conditioners without cones? I want to start asap rather than wait for something to come in the mail, cost is not a concern.
    I'll need deep & washing.
    Yes, the Suave clarifying should do it. I really liked the suave naturals conditioners for co washing. They are cheap, and had enough moisture for me. I never did deep treatments because I would leave my conditioner in for at least 5 minutes just trying to detangle :oops: :lol: , but I know that Suzen loves the generic version of Joico K-Pak reconstructor for a protein deep treatment (from sally's beauty supply). But she advises that you use a moisturizing conditioner after because of all of the proteins. For a person who needs more moisture, I have heard many raves for Activate Hydrating conditioner. That can be found at Ulta and sometimes walgreens. Oh, I forgot to answer :arrow: Proteins aren't bad unless your hair is sensitive to them, or you just get way too many of them. Some people can only use specific proteins, some can't use any at all. I haven't noticed any problems with proteins, so I don't avoid them. =) If you don't finger comb, don't forget to have your wide tooth comb for detangling!
    3b-3c CG
    I'll look for the Activate Hydrating-- I need as much moisture as I can get. I've used the Suave conditioners before as a detangler, they smell great.
    I'll keep an eye out for the proteins. I don't know if they're good or bad for me yet.
    Thanks for your help & for responding so quickly.
    3a/b mix
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    My hair was a lot like yours when I started, so here's what I did: I just used a regular 'poo with sulfates that my roommate had (i believe it was VO5 Moisture Milks Shampoo) to get rid of all the cones, then began cowashing with VO5 Moisture Milks condish. Suave Naturals or VO5 are also good to cowashes to go with cuz they're super cheap (sometimes a dollar or under) so if you need to switch you can without guilt. I also highly recommend Activate's deep treat...I LOVE it.

Good luck starting CG! Keep us posted and remember, it may take a little time before you see results so don't give up!
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
    So today is day 1.
    Couldn't find Activate in Ulta (& no Sally near me), but they did have DevaCurl One. I got the one with the white label because it smelled better & seems thicker than the green. Got the AnGell too.

Here's what I did: Suave Daily Clarifying, rinsed well, a handful of Suave Aloe condish to detangle & remoisturize my scalp, rinsed, 3 tbsp of One Condish no rinse, and 2tsp of AnGell. Only finger combed-- I find I'm less damaging that way.

Already can tell a difference... my head feels 5lbs lighter because there are no products in it! It's been about an hour & it's only damp. Usually takes 3 hours to get this dry. The curls are staying together & down instead of spreading out. Whoo-hoo!! How freeing!!!!

My big fear is that I'll be a sphinx head without product to weigh me down. Until I found Frizz-ease some 17 years ago, my nickname was Rosanne Rosanadana!!! If it's dry tomorrow I'll put some olive oil in & deep treat all day.

Thanks for the support Blush & curlybrunette5!!
    3a/b mix
    No problem. =]
    3b-3c CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file