Mixed Chicks or AfroVeda

taraleightaraleigh Registered Users Posts: 31
I'm looking into buying the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mixed-Chicks-Leave-in-Conditioner-p-279.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=mixed-chicks-leavein-conditioner]Mixed Chicks Leave-In[/buylink] Condition or AfroVeda's Shea Alma Whipped Butter. My hair has a tendency to be pretty dry, and it's very thick and coarse as well...I'm also trying to grow my hair out so I want to use something that is conducive to that as well. I'm trying to reverse some damage of previous relaxing without having to cut all of my hair off too. Which of these products is better for my goals?

Comments

• GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    Each person's hair is different, so the results will be different with the same products.

There are two ways that you can use the MC Leave-in: for twists, Bantu knots and the like, you will need a moisturising leave-in conditioner prior since you have dry hair. If you place it on soaking, wet hair, it will leave your hair soft with good curl definition without the moisturising leave-in.

The MC Leave-in is really a styling cream, so if you want a long lasting curl definition, then you will use less of a moisturising leave-in and vice versa. Also, if you do have "crunch", that crunch will go away in two days as you scrunch your hair, leaving you with soft hair.

Once you try it two to three times, you'll know whether or not if it's for you. Mixed Chicks also sells samples.

I have not tried AfroVeda's Shea Alma Whipped Butter, so I can't give my opinion about it.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    I have not tried the whipped butter but i think it may be better for your dry hair..
    Mixed Chicks is more of a styling cream than a leave in, its not very moisturizing at all! It actually gives a hold, which i find as Greatcurls stated to be "crunchy"
    I personally like Karens Body Beautiful [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] as a moisturizing leave in.. but if i were you id go for the Afroveda!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • curlycookiecurlycookie Registered Users Posts: 106
    I bought the MC "trio" (sham, DC, LI) before I knew about anything CG. I love the DC but for me the leave-in wasn't "heavy" enough for my fine 3c hair and I definately needed other products over top. Personally I like a leave-in that's a bit thicker. I don't know anything about the AfroVeda. And that's just one gal's opinion :wink:.
    3c fine and frizzy
    Last relaxer Oct 08
    Sham: Say Yes to Carrots, Eluence MB
    Co Wash: Tresemme Naturals, Say yes to Cukes, Elucence moisture balancing Cond
    Leave In: AOHR, Elucence
    DC: MC DeepCond, Aussie 3-minute miracle, CJ Curl Rehab
    Style with: Curl Keeper/AG Re:coil; KCCC, Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine, KC Gloss Pomade, Coconut Oil

Saved by Grace...I'm a child of the KING!!
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    I love the Afroveda Cocolatte hair butter is very moisturizing and smells like coco, I use this and aloe vera gel of my wash n gos, the come out great!
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • chrissa06chrissa06 Registered Users Posts: 20
    I just started using mixed chicks leave in and im in LOVE i have tried everything under teh sun to try and get my curls under control without having the wet dog look or being all crunchy and this really works... although if you use too much it can get crunchy in some spots so you just have to gauge how much you should use on your hair.. hope this helps :profileright:
    3b*normal porosity*fine
    currently- between SL & APL while curly
    goal- BSL & beyond
    growing out since 06/10
    also trying to go cold turkey on heat<
    no heat since 06/10

• NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    taraleigh wrote: »
    I'm looking into buying the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mixed-Chicks-Leave-in-Conditioner-p-279.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=mixed-chicks-leavein-conditioner]Mixed Chicks Leave-In[/buylink] Condition or AfroVeda's Shea Alma Whipped Butter. My hair has a tendency to be pretty dry, and it's very thick and coarse as well...I'm also trying to grow my hair out so I want to use something that is conducive to that as well. I'm trying to reverse some damage of previous relaxing without having to cut all of my hair off too. Which of these products is better for my goals?

These products are very different and serve different functions.

MC: is a LI conditioner that also has hold. It lends moisture while sealing the hair to lock in the style. Its mainly a wash n go product.

AV Shea Amla butter: is a moisturizer in that its main role is to seal in moisture and not give it, but it does have some conditioning ingredients in it. This is what makes it ideal for protective styling with its ability to lock in the moisture and prolong the life of a style.

If you're trying to nurse your hair to health, the best route would be conditioner. Using nourishing (emollient based) conditioner to cowash and rinse out, as well as deep treat. To strengthen the hair, protein treatments (protein based conditioners) are the standard. Reducing exposure to heat and manipulation are ideal so protective styling is a way to achieve both. Whichever you choose, good luck.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list