from wen to silicone-free no-poo

vitalgirlvitalgirl Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi

I'm a new member and have to say, this place rocks. I rather hope that I'll be having a few natural good hair days now without the straightener.

I have a question about going from wen cleansing condish routines to a silicone-free no-poo. I have been using wen for about a year now, and whilst I do like it, and it was an improvement, it never did stop the frizz. I live in the tropics which doesn't help, but I think it might help my hair to go silcone-free.

But I wonder, after using wen for a year, which has silcone, should I use a normal shampoo to remove the build up so I can start afresh with a no-poo routine?

And has anyone used MYHoneyChild Hair Reformer Scalp Cleanser. I rather like the fact that its natural (and uses coconut). btw, I think I'm a 3a but could be a 2b, hard to tell from the example pics as there are some that appear in all of them! Would upload a pic but camera not working. My hair is fine, thin, definitely prone to frizz, and I discovered after using wen that it was a lot curlier than I thought!

thanks!
Rebecca

Comments

• BesmeeBesmee Posts: 28Registered Users
    Yes, use a silicone free shampoo to wash out the buildup.
  • smasters467smasters467 Posts: 527Registered Users
    I don't know anything about the My Honey Child so unfortunately I can't help with that. However, I have used Wen in the past, and now use No Poo. When I was using Wen the only cone in it was amodimethicone, which according to some is water-soluble, and shouldn't need to be removed with shampoo. No-Poo contains coco betaine, which is an actual surfactant (cleanser), and it should effectively remove amodimethicone with no problem. However, I know Wen has different forumalations depending on where you purchase it. If you order it from the Wenhaircare.com site, it contains cheaper ingredients which include a different silicone, that should theoretically be able to be removed with No-Poo. Some people experience build up with certain cones, and some people find they have no problems with it, it depends on you and your hair. One shampoo after a year of not using any isn't going to make much difference as far as the health of your hair overall, however, if you can remove the silicones without a shampoo it'd be better for your hair. It's really up to you. I know I've blabbered on long enough, hopefully this was helpful.

Welcome to Naturally Curly!
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • vtcurlievtcurlie Posts: 16Registered Users
    Have you been using the styling cream or just the cleansing conditioner? The Wen styling cream contains non-water soluble cones so if you've been using it that could be the problem. As smasters467 said, the cleansing conditioner has water soluble cones in it and I don't personally find it to cause build up in my hair. I use Wen cleansing conditioner (the fig and lavender) as a cowash and also as a leave-in. However, I also use a gel or other finishing products to help with curl formation, etc.
    Mostly 3b with some 3c & 3a
    Modified CG since Sept 2008
    CO: Deva No-Poo and WEN
    LI: WEN & OneC
    Gel/Stylers: CHS CK & Gel, Jessicurl RR & CC
    Low poo once in awhile

Braving the gray & growing out my color!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I used to use wen, and even the amodimethicone in the cleansing condish caused me buildup. I ended up with flaking crud on my scalp from it. I think my hair is just too dense for it, and admittedly my hair is finicky on what water soluable cones it likes (so far it just likes the PEG modified one in the CJ I use). I went the opposite way with Wen, my wurls got pulled out from the cone. I do use Devacare No Poo and CJDFCC though with no problems. I've used a few MHC products, but they were all too heavy for my hair. Never used the cleansers though.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    I think I have too much silicone... this would explain the waxy feeling with Wen. I have been using it for about 6 months and although it helps with detangling it has not helped at all with frizz.
    3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
    Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
    hair seems to be moody.
    Does not seem to like oils
    Does not like protein or too much?
    Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file