corkscrews turned to s's

mekahwbbmekahwbb Posts: 109Registered Users
SO I'm almost 8 months into transition and the sides of my hair (which have the least relaxer left) from month one grew out in tiny (pen spring sized) coils, and maybe two weeks ago i noticed they don't coil anymore. They are s shaped now, and bigger...how weird. Has this happened to anyone else? Also i always assumed that my curls would get tighter as relaxed ends got shorter, has anyone who's bc'd found it was the opposite?

event.png

Around apl but going to wl
coily, wavy, tightly curly, kinky, nappy hair:toothy4:
Natural products are the bomb.

Comments

• calmwithcurlscalmwithcurls Posts: 78Registered Users
    mekahwbb wrote: »
    SO I'm almost 8 months into transition and the sides of my hair (which have the least relaxer left) from month one grew out in tiny (pen spring sized) coils, and maybe two weeks ago i noticed they don't coil anymore. They are s shaped now, and bigger...how weird. Has this happened to anyone else? Also i always assumed that my curls would get tighter as relaxed ends got shorter, has anyone who's bc'd found it was the opposite?

That happened to me just this week. My stylist said she had to straighten my hair to cut it so when I washed out I was shocked that the corkscrews at the front of my head had suddenly changed into s shaped curls. I washed my hair a couple of times this week and it hasn't reverted. It's crazy how your hair can literally sneak up on you like that. I have only been transitioning for 6 months and haven't done my bc yet so I don't know how much this helps. I wonder if your hair changes to corkscrews again when you bc...:afro:
    6 months into transitioning! :lol:
    Hair Type: Don't care now, just want it long enough to be put in a ponytail :hippy2:
    New Hair Resolution: Hair Health and Length!
    :wav:
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    Some people find that as their hair gets longer the extra weight pulls their spirals out into S waves from the root, but the ends still coil into little Os. So yes, shorter hair=spiral curls and longer=S waves for some of us.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • pearl89pearl89 Posts: 185Registered Users
    This is definately true for me. When my hair was about 3 inches shorter it was a tight coil from root to tip. No I have an S curl except at the very tip of the curl. At first I hated it but I've grown to like my S curls
    3b/3c. S curls with coils at the end. Normol porosity. Medium texture, super elastic... Barely SL, hoping to go BSL.

Water wash
    RO: Garnier Triple Nutrition.
    Leave in: Suave naturals coconut
    Styling products: Biotera curling cream with a few drops of honey.
    DT: I'm experimenting.

I <3 satin XD
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    The weight of your hair pulls the spiral down, it's normal, happens to most people.
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep..it's pretty common. I have 3c/3b hair. My hair is shoulder length (while curly) and it's all a bunch of S's now. My hair used to look like a pulled out slinky when it was shorter.. now it still looks like a slinky but it looks like the slinky has been pulled as far out as you can pull it without making it straight.

I have thick hair and I do think the weight is what pulls my curls down and elongates my curls into an S pattern. I've just learned to roll with it.. I noticed though since I went CGM (curly girl method) my hair has much more hang too and you can see a lot more of my 3b curls now...which I have mixed feelings about. I guess I just like tighter curls better.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file