Help with curl junkie, co-washing and protein/moisture balance please!!

L9MaeL9Mae Posts: 11Registered Users
I have 2c/3a fine hair (with some med/coarse pieces) and have been using curl junkie cleansing conditioner (daily fix) to co-wash/lo-poo almost everyday. Also, I use this without any rinse-out conditioner after, but I use a cj conditioner as my styler/leave-in. My hairdresser told me I shouldn't shampoo as often as I do. The reason I co-wash with the cleansing conditioner everyday is because I tend to get over conditioned and by just using the cleansing conditioner my hair is moisturized and clean, but not over conditioned. But, even a week or two of this routine can leave me a bit over conditioned so I condition one time with either curl junkie deep fix or Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix & that seems to do the trick. Then I go back to my old routine.

I would like to try switching between 2 different conditioners as a co-wash--one with protein and one with moisture: I want to use curl junkie deep fix conditioner, followed by the curl assurance smoothing conditioner as a rinse out (this is recommended on the deep fix bottle). On the second day, I would use BeautiCurls Daily Hair Conditioner as a co-wash OR Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, even though this has protein. For some reason, Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix has turned into my HG--I use it as a styler/leave-in and it is amazing. I wonder if it is because it is a perfect balance of moisture and protein for my hair? Anyway, I'm curious what you think of my routine and if it is even possible/smart to try to cut out the low-poo entirely. I don't mind lo-pooing once a week, I'm already so used to doing it everyday it seems weird to stop. Also, I used to use kinky curly come clean every other day before switching to the curl junkie cleansing conditioner, so I have some of that left that I could use if I needed a good shampoo.

I don't know if this is important, but part of the reason I over condition is because my hair used to be very damaged (from coloring) and needed a lot of moisture so I cut out protein and didn't have a problem. (I used cj curl rehab or cj assurance smoothing conditioner everyday and even used it as a leave-in). I have been cutting off all of the old, damaged hair and so now I am working with my natural "virgin" hair. It's great, but I haven't figured out exactly what it needs and when because I haven't dealt with my natural texture in 5-6 years. (I haven't used the cj curl rehab or cj assurance smoothing conditioner recently because it is too moisturizing). It's just weird that 2-3 months ago I needed as much moisture as I could get and now I think I would get over conditioned using those same conditioners. It is hard for me to tell when my hair needs protein (and when it's had enough) other than when I style it and it doesn't look good and it has that weird over conditioned feel to it.

Anyway, I know I can clean my scalp with these conditioners, but do you think switching between a protein co-wash one day and a moisture co-wash the next will eliminate my over conditioning problem or is the only way to solve this with a low-poo? And is it possible I could over do it with the protein if I use it every other day as a co-wash and if there's light protein in my styler/leave-in? How would I tell? Also, I'm afriad I may get product build up (kind of like dandruff for me) after a while with all the conditioners, which is why I may have to lo-poo once or twice a week anyway. Do you think it is possible to try to cut out the lo-poo or is my only option to cut back?

Sorry it's so long and I have so many questions. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Let me see if I can help.

My first question is, why cut out the low poo if it works? I use a low poo occasionally (cj is my hg line) and I will ALWAYS have to use one occasionally. It doesn't bother me because I've learned to read my hair and it's needs.

The condishes you listed are very very rich in their own right, even the beauticurls daily, thought not as much as the Deep fix protein treatment. Yes, you can get protein issues using the deep fix, even every other day like that. If you notice your curl getting crunchy and dry feeling, worse than before you needed moisture, you have probably used too much protein. I don't think switching back and forth will eliminate the problem so much, because Marsha's condishes all have a lot of moisture in them, even the deep fix. It just has more protein than the others does.

If it were me I'd stick to the deep fix cleansing condish most of the days you cleanse, then maybe once every week or two use a low poo. Sometimes if you feel over conditioned you can cleanse with the deep fix protein treatment and that may help some. I just would reconsider the deep fix as even an every other day co wash.

Just as an example, my own routine varies depending on how my hair feels and looks when I get up. Sometimes I can get second day hair with no wetting and just a little more product; some days I have to scrunch in more water and diffuse to get 2nd day hair, and some days it's just impossible. Sometimes I just condition in the shower and apply product rather than cleansing, some days I cleanse with the daily fix cleansing conditioner, some days I have to low poo. Most of the time I cleanse every other day and follow with a good condish, apply product, and style. The next day usually I'll scrunch in water and rediffuse. I don't wash daily but I don't have a problem applying water daily. It makes both my scalp and my hair happy. About once a week I do a deep treatment. Sometimes just moisture but MOST of the time I do a protein treatment too, as I have fine hair that needs protein. I find if my curl is lank and hangs there usually I need protein, so if I dont' have time for a full treatment I'll at least leave a protein condish in my hair in the shower for about 5 mins and follow with moisture and rinse. Perks them right up.

Hope that helps some....and hope you get it figured out. Unfortunately it's just trial and error most of the time for most of us....with me I love the trial and error though so I don't mind it.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Forgive me, I got lost in the original post and can't go through it again to check the content. Remember, CJ Daily Fix does have Cocamidopropyl Betaine as an ingredient. It's a cleansing ingredient that's used in a lot of lowpoos. It has a lot of other ingredients that are conditioning, which is why it's called a "cleansing conditioner." Not sure it's really necessary to lowpoo if you're using this on a regular basis.

I started out as a 2c/3a. By using the appropriate products and techniques, my curl now looks like my signature picture every day. You don't list your porosity. My hair is low porosity, which allows me to use really "heavy" products without over conditioning. My hair LOVES protein. I do at least one protein treatment a week, sometimes two. Also use a lot of products with protein. I wet and style every day, use natural soap bar to cleanse every three days(milder then lowpoo, but only removes the CG excess ingredients) and CJ Daily Fix every few weeks for it's chelating properties.

IMHO, your missing the protein balance. If you're over conditioning that much, you need to do actual PTs and not just rely on the protein in your products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • L9MaeL9Mae Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thank you so much for your replies! I've been experimenting these last few weeks and continue to use CJ cleansing conditioner. I agree with you rymorg2, this lo-poo is very gentle and I don't have problems with it, so why stop. As for the protein problem... I think my over conditioning tends to happen with my leave-ins, rather than the rinse-out conditioners. Also, my hair doesn't like protein enough to do a full blown protein treatment. (I think it would take me a few weeks to get it back to normal if I tried this.) Instead of using so much leave-in as my styler, thus getting over conditioned, I ordered a CJ sample pack of the stylers and have been experimenting with that. It makes a huge difference to use a leave-in and gel/styler instead of just a leave in.

I am still experimenting and trying to have fun with it, but it can get frustrating at times. It's like some parts of my hair like protein while others don't. Some parts feel dry no matter how much moisture I throw at it while other parts are soft even if I use a light conditioner. It drives me insane.

Anyway, thank you again for your help. I just hope I start to understand my hair soon so I can just give it what it wants! :)

Thanks again!!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    L9Mae wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your replies! I've been experimenting these last few weeks and continue to use CJ cleansing conditioner. I agree with you rymorg2, this lo-poo is very gentle and I don't have problems with it, so why stop. As for the protein problem... I think my over conditioning tends to happen with my leave-ins, rather than the rinse-out conditioners. Also, my hair doesn't like protein enough to do a full blown protein treatment. (I think it would take me a few weeks to get it back to normal if I tried this.) Instead of using so much leave-in as my styler, thus getting over conditioned, I ordered a CJ sample pack of the stylers and have been experimenting with that. It makes a huge difference to use a leave-in and gel/styler instead of just a leave in.

I am still experimenting and trying to have fun with it, but it can get frustrating at times. It's like some parts of my hair like protein while others don't. Some parts feel dry no matter how much moisture I throw at it while other parts are soft even if I use a light conditioner. It drives me insane.

Anyway, thank you again for your help. I just hope I start to understand my hair soon so I can just give it what it wants! :)

Thanks again!!

YW! Sounds like you're getting a handle on it.

I can't use a leave in. I usually use curl enhancing products with moisturizers already in them on their own. For example, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CJCCCC[/buylink] lite, or if I super soak with the regular, or supersoak with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]aloe fix[/buylink] or the smoothing gelly which is more of a curl cream for me, they all have such moisture in them on their own that they work as both a LI and curl enhancer. Marsha's stuff is all so moisturizing that I can see how you'd get overconditioned from leave in. Marsha's stylers have just the right amount of moisture as well as stylers in them. I think you'll find that they'll be fine on their own.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file