How does baby shampoo rate?

Is something like for example Johnson and Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash or their regular Baby Shampoo considered No Poo, Low Poo, or is it just as bad and typical shampoo?

Comments

• kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Johnson and Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash contains a sulfate, so it's as bad as regular shampoo. I have very sensitive skin and have used it for years as a body wash. It's also a great face wash!

If you're looking for a low-poo, the Curl Chemist writes that you'll need one that contains either cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine. I've been doing some research about baby shampoo/wash and here's what I've found...these are sulfate free and contain one of the ingredients mentioned (I get the ingredient list off the internet which may or may not be accurate - so double check!). I found all of them at drugstore.com.

Burt's Bees Baby Bee Tear Free Shampoo & Body Wash, Natures Baby Organics Shampoo and Body Wash Vanilla Tangerine (lots of protein), Avalon Baby Gentle Tear-Free Shampoo and Body Wash, Johnson's Soothing Naturals Hair and Body Wash, Jason Natural Cosmetics Earth's Best Organic Shampoo and Body Wash Lavender.

California Baby makes a couple that are sulfate free, but don't contain cocamidopropyl betaine or cocobetaine.

I know way too much about baby wash for not ever having had a baby - LOL!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    I use Johnson's No More Tangles Shampoo for curly hair on my 6 mth old daughter. She has 3B curls and it seems to do a good job on her hair. I don't think it has Sulfates in it! It has a cone in it I think though!
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/
  • jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    Its all about the ingredients. I use baby shampoo because that's the only sulfate shampoo I could find that was cheap. It has no sulfates, first ingredient is spring water and lots of oils like jojoba etc. I think it does a pretty good job and my hair is very fine and easily weighed down (brand is avado organics but I doubt very much you can get it in the US thou)
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used baby shampoo when I first started mod cg 6 years ago and I don't recommend it, especially not Johnsons. The reason is that the PH is too high (more base). Baby shampoos often have a PH close to water to prevent stinging if it gets in the eyes. But hair and skin prefer a lower (more acid) PH than that. California Baby is better choice, but I still think its PH is a little on the high side. High PH on the hair can cause dullness and frizz. On the skin, it breaks down the acid mantle, a protective barrier. The breaking down of the acid mantle can cause breakouts.

If you decided to go the baby shampoo route, follow with an ACV rinse to restore the PH of your hair, but take note that the ACV can be drying if you do it too often.

On the whole you are better off with a low poo like Deva Lo Poo or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] (I'd say go with Deva), or better yet,a no poo/cleansing conditioner with coco betaine like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink] or Curl Junkie Daily Fix (I like the Daily Fix a lot).
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users
    I am so not a fan of Johnson and Johnson, they had a massive issue a few years back with weird chemicals in their baby wash, no thank you! I would just go with a regular low or no poo option :)

For my baby, I use Dr. Bronner's Castile soap on his body, and I just started doing baking soda and ACV on his hair since it's starting to come in more curly :)
    Jessica, proud mama to Hunter (9-18-09)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, V05 Volumizing
    Conditioner: AOGPB, Garnier Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Suave Naturals Tropical coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Off-day spritz: Lavender mist
    Hair likes Obscene amounts of protein
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

http://public.fotki.com/OperaTeacherMom/hair-going-cg/

CG since 5/8/10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file