Using conditioner with sulfate to remove silicone

leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
Hi everyone,

So, I've been doing the modified CG thing for over a month now - it's going well, but I'm still experimenting to figure out what my hair likes. In any case, my hair certainly feels much healthier and softer since I've given up sulfates and silicones.

However, I've been left with an array of products I can't use anymore, some on the pricier side. The thrifty side of me just can't bear to throw them away, in particular, my Lush shampoos/shampoo bars and conditioners, and my Keratase Oleo-Curl definition Creme.

So, this is what I was thinking - the Oleo-Curl has amodimethicone, which is why I stopped using it. As I understand, sulfates are necessary to get out silicones, which is why the sulfate-free CG method won't prevent silicone build-up. Now, I've also noticed that Lush conditioners are silicone-free, but not sulfate-free (why SLS is put into conditioner, I don't know, but whatever). So, what I was thinking is that if I used the Oleo-Curl Creme on occasion, I could co-wash with the Lush conditioner to remove the silicone.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this - whether this will work, or is even a good idea?
Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair

Comments

• kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here's an interesting thread by BotticelliBabe (post #4) that says using amodimethicone is okay - it's hard to build up. She links to the Curl Chemist who writes in the last paragraph that you may need a sulfate or cocamidopropyl betaine (which is in most low-poos) to remove the cone.

You could try the Oleo-Curl and just pay really close attention to see if it's building up. I would use a low-poo occasionally, or at least an ACV rinse. I don't think using the sulfate conditioner on rare occasions (like evey 6 months) is going to set you back. IMO a low-poo (which you can use it more often) is a better choice over a sulfate conditioner.

HTH! Glad the CG method is working for you!!!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I know how you feel. I have a small arsenal of Lush stuff still. I also have one conditioner with the a-cone. Here's what I did. I put the conditioner on my hair from about ears down and then when I shampoo'd I focused on the roots and scalp only. I did this to get rid of some of what I had. I did do a few co-washes with the Lush conditioners too. I started adding a product or two as I was able. Also, because I have the one conditioner with the a-cone, I kept my Lush sulfate poo's in case I needed to remove build-up.

But, to answer your question...while I don't know why Lush puts sulfates in the conditioners either, I don't think it would be enough to rid the a-cone in your other conditioner. That said, you can always experiment and see if it works for you.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    Thanks, ladies for your input. I'm glad to hear that the amodimethicone shouldn't really build-up, but if it does, should come out with a low-poo (which I do about once a week)

As for the sulfate conditioners - sigh, I'm going to keep them around, and eventually experiment with occasionally using them. I really need to find a formula that works and is consistent for me, then I can play around with figuring out what else my hair is ok with.

Ah... over the years I've wasted so much money on products that only sorta work! :tongue3:
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would love to know i the LUSH conditioners with sulfates would help to remove cones (amodimethicone and others). I have been wanting to try 1-2 LUSH conditioners but back away due to the sulfates. If they would cleanse cones away, I would purchase for sure.

That said, I'm noticing that even some of my DT's have sulfates in them. :dontknow:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file