New to CG with very itchy scalp - Help!

curlyjilliecurlyjillie Posts: 10Registered Users
I'm new to CG and after reading some articles, thought that I may have dry scalp, not dandruff like I've thought for years. So, I quit using dandruff shampoo 4 days ago. I had just switched from Neutrogena T Gel Stubborn Itch to Dermarest and it made my hair itch more. After co-washing yesterday morning with cone-free condish, I was relieved to find that my hair didn't itch all day. But I woke up this morning with intensely itchy scalp again. Does this mean that I need to co-wash every day?

Furthermore, I still don't really know what's going on with my scalp. When I started having scalp itch, I had dry white flakes that got all over my clothes. That's when I started using T gel. I still had issues while using T Gel regularly--not itch, but oily flakes mostly right on the scalp and red bumps with a clear yellowish crystallized substance. Because of this, I thought I had dermatitis. But all that goes away if I just stop scratching. But I can't!
And I can't spend $23 ordering Max Green Alchemy Scalp rescue condish. Are there any conditioners $10 or less that will stop the itch, at least enough so that I don't have to cowash every day?
Fine, porous Botticelli curls
CG since May 10, 2010
COwash: VO5 Moisture Milks
Rinse: Same
Styling: Frizz Ease Take Charge Curl Boosting Mousse
Aubrey Organics moisturizing conditioner for deep conditioning treatments.
Denman brush.
No plopping.
TRESemme Tres Two hairspray.
Pineappling works about half the time.
Second day hair: Scrunching in Deva Curl Mist-er Right (and then hairspray, as mist-er right has no hold.)
Overall, my hair is much better since going CG.

Comments

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some like Giovanni Tea Tree condish for itchy scalp. If you just started CG, it will take 4 - 6 weeks for your scalp and hair to adjust. You should gradually decrease your cowashing to once or twice a week since your scalp seems to be sensitive. You may need to check your styling products to see if any are contributing to the itchiness. You could also try a brown sugar scrub and/or ACV rinses. Good luck!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    I suggest you try Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner.. its light enough to cowash with, the tea tree & peppermint will do a good job of soothing and healing your scalp. Its all natural and is $3 for a $16oz bottle!! Worth a try.. Also, do you use anything to oil your scalp? I like the way organic coconut oil absorbs into my scalp and hair when i grease (& massage) with it. I do it the night before i wash so it has a chance to absorb & condition. Try it !
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • curlyjilliecurlyjillie Posts: 10Registered Users
    That sounds great. If I can find it in a store, I'll definitely try it. It's $9 on amazon.

I tried a bit of Argan oil on my scalp. It helped. My hair itches a little but not as much as before. However, my hair was pretty flat and lifeless after I plopped and air dried. I don't know if it was the oil (doubtful since I didn't use much and partially washed it out) or my new herbal essences gel.
    Fine, porous Botticelli curls
    CG since May 10, 2010
    COwash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Rinse: Same
    Styling: Frizz Ease Take Charge Curl Boosting Mousse
    Aubrey Organics moisturizing conditioner for deep conditioning treatments.
    Denman brush.
    No plopping.
    TRESemme Tres Two hairspray.
    Pineappling works about half the time.
    Second day hair: Scrunching in Deva Curl Mist-er Right (and then hairspray, as mist-er right has no hold.)
    Overall, my hair is much better since going CG.
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    That sounds great. If I can find it in a store, I'll definitely try it. It's $9 on amazon.

I tried a bit of Argan oil on my scalp. It helped. My hair itches a little but not as much as before. However, my hair was pretty flat and lifeless after I plopped and air dried. I don't know if it was the oil (doubtful since I didn't use much and partially washed it out) or my new herbal essences gel.

it might have been the gel then, if u partially washed out the oil i doubt thats it. ive been meaning to try argan oil, but like i said try the coconut oil because it seems to absorb into the hair and scalp (mine at least) & when i wash it out my hair is really shiny! If you have a whole foods they sell it there.. mine was $7
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    I had a similar problem, I thought for ages that I had dandruff and/or a dry scalp until a new hairdresser told me I had build up in a spot I couldn't even see. Slightly doubtful, I brought the shampoo she recommended and now have no more itchiness or flakes so I'm very glad I did :) The shampoo has sulfates of course, but no silicones so good for the occasional clean. Apparently my hair clings to everything, even cg products while using a low poo :rolleyes:

A cheap and sulfate free alternative is baking soda and apple cider vinegar but I didnt find it as quite as effective.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file