only part of my hair takes color...

TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Registered Users Posts: 374
I just colored my hair, a bit lighter than the dark brown it's been, and the color only took from the root to about 1-2 inches down! it looks absurd! I'm going to get it fixed this weekend... But whenever I color it, after a few times, the color just doesn't take... Is that normal? is it that "metallic build up" I've heard the stylists talk about from drug store color in a box????
just wondering if anyone had any ideas...???
thanks!
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
for the love of the lens...

http://animafoto.smugmug.com/

www.animafoto.wordpress.com

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    That's normal -- and especially noticeable if you're attempting to go lighter than the previous color job. Color developers that you use with color processes -- even high lift 30vol -- do not remove color very well. You have to use bleach to remove the extant color, then re-tint.

The new growth isn't subject to this issue, so it takes the lift just fine, and appears over-processed relative to the length of your hair. Thus: hot roots.
  • SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    Generally if you are trying to go lighter on hair that has been dyed a darker shade, you need to use a color remover first. Then dye over it in the lighter shade.

The other thing to remember is that bleach and high lift colors work faster in conjunction with heat. The warmth of your scalp will make the roots lift lighter than the ends. Hence the phenomenon of white roots with orange-y ends which many of us have experienced ;)
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights