Any tips for applying eye makeup if you wear glasses?

rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
I went and got my eyes examined and VOILA, I'm nearsighted. As I thought. As well as having a bit of an astigmatism. So glasses for me for when I go to the movies, go to a concert, drive, watch tv, get on the computer (sometimes) etc.

I've never worn glasses before, other than for 2 years when I was in my 20s and only for driving. My eyes corrected themselves after I was pregnant with my youngest, and I haven't had then since. Any suggestions? I'll have to break out my old cosmetology book and check into the sections on "eyeglasses and makeup" but y'all are a wealth of info too....so any suggestions are appreciated. :D
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am super, super nearsighted. As for applying eye makeup, I just get my face reeeeeally close to the mirror so I can see what I'm doing. As for tips for makeup that looks good behind glasses, well, I'm probably not the best resource for that!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i've worn glasses for 30 years and i'm going to be no help whatsoever because i do my makeup as if i wasn't wearing glasses!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My theory is that eyes need MORE makeup to make them standout from behind glasses. I like to get really dramatic with my eyes when I know I'm going to be wearing my glasses.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Magnifying mirror or hand mirror. Or get really really close to the bathroom mirror. I like a hand mirror.

If you are asking if you should change the look of your makeup if you wear glasses, I don't think you need to.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Magnifying mirror or hand mirror. Or get really really close to the bathroom mirror. I like a hand mirror.

If you are asking if you should change the look of your makeup if you wear glasses, I don't think you need to.

+1 I'm very nearsighted and I use a magnifying mirror. It can be kind of horrifying to see every pore magnified 10X though (lol).
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    LOL I've BEEN using a magnifying mirror and wondered why it helped so much. It's not so much application as in how to make it easier, but how do I need to change the look to look good behind the glasses. Do I go more dramatic or cut back on the smokies? I've read all kinds of things. I'm a stylist....I LOVE makeup so I am hoping that I can just stick to what I'm doing.

But each person's style is different so I should do what feels good, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I guess it depends on your mood or where you are going on any given day. I have to agree with RCW - I would go a little more dramatic with the eye make-up, but such that it still looks natural.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,406Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I apply my eyeliner a little thicker when I wear my glasses and I'll wear blush and more lipgloss if I feel like looking cuter since I'm wearing glasses. Or if I'm lazy I skip the eyeliner since the glasses kind of hide the eyes give some definition to that area. With contacts, I usually always wear eyeliner or a look a little washed out.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    i've worn glasses for 30 years and i'm going to be no help whatsoever because i do my makeup as if i wasn't wearing glasses!

I also apply my makeup as I would did I not wear glasses, but in the application process itself, I use a 15x mirror. :eek:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    But each person's style is different so I should do what feels good, right?

Bingo!

DO NOT cut back on the smokies... i don't!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Thanks for the tips everyone! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I just do what I normally do because my prescription isn't strong and my glasses aren't very big. I think my eyes are plenty visible when I wear them. Also, since I don't wear them 100% of the time, I don't want to look like I have too much makeup on when I take my glasses off.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • IvytwineIvytwine Posts: 25Registered Users
    I'm very nearsighted - each eye requires -7.25 in eyeglass lenses. So I really just prefer to do my makeup while wearing my contact lenses. :tongue3:

But on the days I don't feel like wearing contacts, I just have to get really really close to the mirror as another poster said. I don't do it any different than when I'm not wearing glasses, but someone else's suggestion of making the eye makeup a bit more dramatic sounds like a good idea! I'll have to try it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file