Curly Hair in the work place

mouser156mouser156 Registered Users Posts: 3
First time poster but this article on MSN pissed me off

The article says people with straight hair is taken more serious in the work place and curly hair is carefree.

http://glo.msn.com/featured/is-your-hair-holding-you-back-1533200.story?gt1=49001

Does a work place feel that people with straight hair is easier to control because they can easily control their hair and that curly hair people can't because their hair is unpredictable.

What i want to know is when did this curly hair get this stereotype. Or am I just reading way to much from one paragraph.

Comments

• sweet peasweet pea Registered Users Posts: 58
    I think you may be reading too much into it. This is one article and someone's opinion. Someone who probably has been very lucky in his/her job and probably has straight hair. I doubt that advancement would be denied simply based how your hair's texture, length, and color. It's just silly. Getting a promotion in the workplace is hard enough without throwing in somone's hair.

And if you do find yourself in this situation, I suggest you contact your HR department or find a new job because I would suspect that something else is going on other than your hair.

:love5:
    :hello2: Sweet Pea
    CG Since: 3 January 2010
    Type: 2c/3a, med-high porosity, baby fine, very long!
    Conditioners: BB Smoothie
    Stylers: BB FSG
    MY HAIR :love4: PROTEIN!!
    Lady Sweet Pea, Master Enchantress and Paladin of the Spiral Faeries in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Registered Users Posts: 2,017 Curl Neophyte
    I do think this stereotype is out there, but it's not worth worrying about. Personally, I think my hair looks more "professional" when it has an actual style to it. When I tried to fight the wave, I resorted to ponytails a lot, or it just kind of hung there. I think if we have the courage to make our hair look great -- and not worry about what a few shortsighted people say/think -- then we will come across as confident, competent, and professional.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Registered Users Posts: 456 Curl Neophyte
    I think this is related to the fact that there are still a lot of curlies out their that don't know how to care for their hair! If someone thinks you look unkempt or like you're not making an effort, their not going to want to hire you. Straight hair is not fool-proof, but its generally easier to manage.
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• rae*of*sunshinerae*of*sunshine Registered Users Posts: 17
    I see a lot of women who wear their curls in pigtails...really? How old are you? Sometimes it can look cute on the right person in the right place, but generally, no...frizziness, or a look of a lack of caring, is unprofessional, IMO, and like someone said there's still a lot of women who don't care for their curls, so they go to work looking unpolished and therefore unprofessional.

But, I do think curly=wild, in our culture.
    Trying to figure all this out and work with the limitied supply of items at the local AAFES PX!

3a at the nape of my neck...3b everywhere else <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file