Hair removal?

mrs.munkeymrs.munkey Posts: 25Registered Users
I am curious about your body hair and how you remove it and from where. We're all girls here, so spill!!

Do you shave, wax, nair, epil? How thick is your hair and how often do you do the above mentioned?

I quit shaving 2 years ago and starting waxing myself but the hair never got thinner or more sparse. So now I am trying to find something new or get recommendations on a good razor if I go back to that.

My hair is thick and course and grows too fast,therefore requiring daily maintance (bi-weekly waxing).

Please help a fellow curly girl look less like a gorilla!!!
:munky2:

thanks!

(Happy Mothers Day to all you curly mamas!!)
3a/b, high density, fairly coarse, medium porosity and elasticity, mid back length
Low poo: Suave Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo
R O: Moroccan Infusion Shine Conditioner
L I: n/a (open to suggestion!)
Stylers: Suave Luxe Style gel,(open to suggestions!)
Oils: coconut
Weekly Rinse: ACV
Experimenting with: Pantene Curl Defining mousse (meh.), Biolage Curl Defining Elixer

Comments

• LMichelleLMichelle Posts: 34Registered Users
    I shave my underarms weekly and legs when needed. I get a full brazilian wax every month or so. My hair there grows back slowly, so I love it!! Yes, it hurts the first few times, but you get used to it eventually. I get my services done at Euro Wax Center www.waxcenter.com. It's a chain and coming up in several locations. They use a wax that hardens after it's applied which eliminates the need for the cloth strip. It's awesome, and since they don't use the cloth strip, it doesn't hurt as much! It's also very affordable. Right now I pay $28.00/month and can go get my brazilian whenever needed. Check them out :)
    Visit my natural hair blog at: http://www.myhairisme.com
    :wav:

Hair Type: THICK. A little 3c, Mixed in with 4a/b

Products: I am a product junkie...it's bad..

Favorite accessories: Goody Ouchless Headbands and the Ouidad Double Detangler <-yes..it's worth $24.00
    event.png
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I shave my legs everyday and my underarms every other day. I pluck my eyebrows and chin hair, and I use this for my upper lip.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I shave legs and underarms as needed, no set schedule and I should do it more often than I actually do.

I use Finishing Touch trimmer (I got mine at Sally's) for facial hair on cheeks, neck and upper lip.

Sometimes I will use a facial hair removal cream by Avon for my upper lip -- 3 mins max and it works pretty well, but sometimes it irritates my skin.

VTmom, I am so intrigued by that spring thing. Does it feel like you are plucking a bunch of hairs out at one time (which I would find painful)? Do you get any irritation after you use it? How do you clean it?
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    Spiralli wrote: »
    VTmom, I am so intrigued by that spring thing. Does it feel like you are plucking a bunch of hairs out at one time (which I would find painful)? Do you get any irritation after you use it? How do you clean it?
    yes, it does. :eek: The first few swipes always make me wince, but then I'm fine. I find it much more convenient and less costly than the upper lip waxes I used to get. I don't get any irritation at all (which surprised me) and I clean it by pulling the spring out and blowing. I will occasionally wipe it w/a soft cloth and alcohol, but I usually just blow it out. HTH!

ETA: someone here on nc.com recommended it...can't remember who. I was torn between this one, and this one. I don't imagine there's much difference between them.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • jay76jay76 Posts: 67Registered Users
    VTmom, I am so going to buy one of those things! I can tak e the hair pulling it looks so convenient1 I can't do the facial waxing or cream. They irratate (msp!) so bad it takes 2 weeks before my skin heals again and I don't get all the hairs. So this will definitely work for me.
    4b
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2007
    BC: Jun 2008
    6 month protective style: 10/10-4/11
    "If you let your hair be what it wants to be and support it as best as possible with a good routine, that's what being natural is about." Surburbanbushbabe
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't understand.. how does that thing work ? Does it just rip the hair out ? I have coarse hair... will that device really be able to remove coarse hairs ?
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use the spring thing also (it was me who recommended it here a year or two ago).

It plucks hair out by grabbing hairs between the spring curves. It will pull out any thickness of hair, and will do several/many hairs at a time. It hurts, but it doesn't cause the skin damage that waxing causes. It's really only recommended for the lower face. It's not precise enough to use on brows, and I don't think it's sturdy enough to use on legs. I wouldn't be able to use it on underarms, because it takes 2 hands to use the spring, but maybe it would work if someone did it for you.

As for the original question:

I shave legs and underarms every.single.day. I have very thick, fast growing hair, and I swim every day, so I need to keep things clear. Chemical depilitories burn my skin and don't remove my thick dark hair, and waxing hurts too damn much.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The spring thing looks similar to threading or a slower epilator.

I wax and if I'm good, I epilate the legs weekly to keep up. If I don't, I need to wax again, like now :(. Or I can take forever to epilate. In the winter I can go longer, the hair grows slower.

My hair is pretty thick and stubbly and it's unbearable if I shave. With waxing it grows back differently and much nicer. I wax underarms too, usually weekly. I only wear sleaveless stuff and show my legs on the weekends(not even all the time). Arms get waxed whenever I feel like it, before trips, or big occassions, or once every few months.

I get my face(including eyebrows) waxed and threaded about once every couple months (yea I'm lazy). In between I use an epilator for my 'moustache' and sometimes chin. Upper lip usually needs maintenance weekly. I may wax the eyebrows in between if they are getting out of hand.

I hate having hair, but I'm not into the permanent hair removal thing either.

For anyone in atlanta, this is where I go for threading - I only like Sana for eyebrows-

http://hairimages.com/
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    i shave my arms about once a month and my arm pits every other day. i use the emjoi optimax epilator on my leg and facial hair, and i wax my bikini line. the epilator & waxing hurt the first couple of times, but now i'm use to them.

i've been thinking about buying the r.e.m spring VTmom linked to. looks like it would be good for travel. oh, and i wax once a month & use the epilator once a week.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I like shaving and the feel of freshly shaved legs.

I shave my legs/armpits every other day. I pluck my eyebrows/chin/any stray facial hair whenever it's needed.

I trim and shape my pubic hair with a razor and scissors.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I shave my underarms as needed, but get horrible razor burn. I don't shave or wax my arms as hair never grows there.

I used to get my legs waxed and now the only hair that grows on my legs is on the front - no hair on the backs or sides.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

I ordered one of the spring hair remover things today. I will post back after I try it. I got the R.E.M one.
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    Hey, I am wondering about this rem thing too. Does it always remove the hair from the root?
    I worry about doing it wrong and causing coarser hair to grow. tia
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
    yes, it removes it from the root and does not cause it to grow in coarser. I also think mine tends to grow back in a bit slower than it did when I was having it waxed.

• mrs.munkeymrs.munkey Posts: 25Registered Users
    Thanks for all the tips!! I will wait to hear more replies on the REM Spring. Soundsl ike there is a lot of interest... : )

As for waxing, does anyone else do it at home?

For those who shave, what razor do you use?
    3a/b, high density, fairly coarse, medium porosity and elasticity, mid back length
    Low poo: Suave Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo
    R O: Moroccan Infusion Shine Conditioner
    L I: n/a (open to suggestion!)
    Stylers: Suave Luxe Style gel,(open to suggestions!)
    Oils: coconut
    Weekly Rinse: ACV
    Experimenting with: Pantene Curl Defining mousse (meh.), Biolage Curl Defining Elixer
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    The reason I never liked waxing, Nair, or epilators is that you have to let the hair grow for them to work well. I'm anal and can't stand stubble so it's just easier and less stressful to shave. But that's just me.

I use Bic Comfort Twin razors. Cheap, small and easy to use.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I use disposables too. I think the ones I have currently are Noxema but I'm not really loyal to any particular brand.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use disposable razors too. I like the pink Daisy razors, but the store-brand version of them are just as good. Cheap too. Those fancy/expensive disposables (like Venus) aren't worth the extra money.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For the bikini area... the Schick Quattro razor is amazing. It gives an incredibly close shave. I was really into the really cheap razors until I found the Schick Quattro.. the 4 blades do well for me. They cost more but I have to say for the result I get it's worth it. I hated Venus for the bikini area.. it's okay for legs though for me.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    mrs.munkey wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips!! I will wait to hear more replies on the REM Spring. Soundsl ike there is a lot of interest... : )

As for waxing, does anyone else do it at home?

Yes, it gets too expensive to get it done all the time. For quickie, I use this found at drugstores and most grocery stores -

SallyHansen_Spa_Wax_Hair_RemovalKit.jpg

or

sally+hansen+bikini+wax.jpg

It's annoying though, because the wax get's cool and kind of hard after 10 or 15 minutes so you have to reheat. I used to have the gigi wax warmer and wax but it spilled and got ruined when I was moving. It was okay but kind of made my skin itch. I need to get nufree nudesse(used at my salon)..it's much better.

I don't get any stubble from waxing, but shaving I do within 24 hours in the summer. I would love to be able to shave if it didn't irritate me and come back so fast. Waxing is sort of a pain but so worth it for me.
  • Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    Love the REM spring... Quick easy and less twingey than plucking or waxing...
    Easy to use and quick hair removal by bending spring in an upside down U and rolling the spring along the area you want to remove hair from....
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
    I got mine last week and have been playing with it. It's grabbing hairs, but not the ones I want yet. I have to work on my aim! It's missing the darker hairs for some reason and picking up ones I can't even see.
  • Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    Spiralli wrote: »
    I got mine last week and have been playing with it. It's grabbing hairs, but not the ones I want yet. I have to work on my aim! It's missing the darker hairs for some reason and picking up ones I can't even see.

Try keeping less of a bent U-shape, that seems to grab the darker hairs a bit easier.
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • infinity956infinity956 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have very course hair on the legs and it grows on my inner thighs which I hate. I have been shaving with the schick quatro and now switched to the venus which has 5 blades. I usually use veet on the inner thigh. I just ordered a Braun epilator. I have been eyeing epilators for a while now and I finally got over my fears of pain just bought one. People say you will get used to it so we'll see b/c I'm tired of the smooth shave feeling for like an hour then the stubble which is so uncomfortable! I will come back to let you know how the epilator works.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    mrs.munkey wrote: »
    I am curious about your body hair and how you remove it and from where. We're all girls here, so spill!!

Do you shave, wax, nair, epil? How thick is your hair and how often do you do the above mentioned?

I quit shaving 2 years ago and starting waxing myself but the hair never got thinner or more sparse. So now I am trying to find something new or get recommendations on a good razor if I go back to that.

My hair is thick and course and grows too fast,therefore requiring daily maintance (bi-weekly waxing).

Please help a fellow curly girl look less like a gorilla!!!
    :munky2:

thanks!

(Happy Mothers Day to all you curly mamas!!)

LOL, you're so funny :)
    I have very course hair on the legs and it grows on my inner thighs which I hate. I have been shaving with the schick quatro and now switched to the venus which has 5 blades. I usually use veet on the inner thigh. I just ordered a Braun epilator. I have been eyeing epilators for a while now and I finally got over my fears of pain just bought one. People say you will get used to it so we'll see b/c I'm tired of the smooth shave feeling for like an hour then the stubble which is so uncomfortable! I will come back to let you know how the epilator works.

I use an epilator. Sometimes I might use microwavable wax, but I generally prefer using the epilator, as it is much more convenient.
    The kind of epilator used does make a difference. It is very much worth investing in a high quality one. Though they are quite expensive, they last for years and are worth it.

@infinity956 you might want to try waxing a few times before you start using the epilator, since you said you have been shaving till now. Otherwise it might be very very painful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file