My Coworkers responses...

CocoaMamaCocoaMama Registered Users Posts: 2
Lord where to start. Why is it when we are just embracing our hair, our culture just ourself in general we end up being on display with questions...and crazy comments.

Last week I was in the process of taking out my mini twists (What possessed me to do em so small...lol..) so I couldnt walk into work while I was removing them so I wore my headwraps. Ok all was quiet on the workfront until our security guard says to me you know who you remind me of like that? Aunt Jemima. Come on now....are you serious?!?!

This week I walk in with my nice twist out and what do I get:
"You changed your hair, how long does it stay like that, im thinking a month, can you wash it?" Are you serious?Can I wash it? I wanted to reply with, when you go to the hair dressers and have your hair styled can you wash it? Does it last for a month?

"Your hair looks cool...it reminds me of sideshow bob...you know the crazy guy in the simpsons" Geee thanks.......

And then two coworkers flat out walked by and patted my head "oh my gosh its so soft". And where was this sign that said petting zoo?

Aside from the clueless...I did get some "I love your hair like that" responses...but....wow..

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not surprised. I remember in high school after wearing my hair curly for awhile, I straightened it. A girl asked me how I went from curly to straight. I said "I pressed it". She said, "oh, you stuck your head on an ironing board and ironed it." I just glared at her. I mean Black people have been using pressing combs for decades.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • MoJiggityMoJiggity Registered Users Posts: 1
    CocoaMama wrote: »
    can you wash it?" Are you serious?Can I wash it? I wanted to reply with, when you go to the hair dressers and have your hair styled can you wash it? Does it last for a month?

"Your hair looks cool...it reminds me of sideshow bob...you know the crazy guy in the simpsons" Geee thanks.......

And then two coworkers flat out walked by and patted my head "oh my gosh its so soft". And where was this sign that said petting zoo?

All of this has happened to me pretty much verbatim, along with other nonsense like "You must have birds living in there!" or "It's like a sheep!" Everybody also seemed to think that if it wasn't frizzy that it was greasy and that I hadn't showered, where in fact the exact opposite is true...

The Sideshow Bob thing was pretty regular at my workplace but my coworkers are cool and we all rag on each other pretty hard in the name of comedy so I didn't mind at all.
  • qteeqtee Registered Users Posts: 163
    I was called Side show bob and Coolio (when I micro braided my hair)..its all good..u have to let all of that roll off ur back...
    Natural 3C
    My fav styer-Ecostyler olive oil gel

I luv Tressemme Moisturizing curls conditioner..

Olive oil and Argan oil are my fav oils..

http://public.fotki.com/liteskinqtee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file