CurlTalk

Keratin with just a blow dryer?

greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
I know it may sound crazy, but is it possible to do a home keratin treatment with JUST a blow dryer? I wouldn't expect it to work just the same as using a 400 degree iron on your hair, but would there be some benefit/change? I'm not looking to straighten it, just blast some of the frizz and make it easier for me to care for it.

I have a fear of using heat on my hair so that's why I ask about using only a blow dryer.
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
004-vi.jpg

Comments

  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will work.

    When I've had the Coppola treatment done, my stylist first put the keratin formula on my hair, then blew it dry, then flatironed it such that it was poker straight. After the blow out, it looked straight, but not poker-straight. It looked like it usually looks when my stylist blows it dry. I think that if you don't flat-iron the keratin into your hair, it will wash out very, very quickly.

    It would be interesting to see what a professional would say about it. :confused1:
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • MerriMerri Posts: 160Registered Users
    anniemae wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will work.

    When I've had the Coppola treatment done, my stylist first put the keratin formula on my hair, then blew it dry, then flatironed it such that it was poker straight. After the blow out, it looked straight, but not poker-straight. It looked like it usually looks when my stylist blows it dry. I think that if you don't flat-iron the keratin into your hair, it will wash out very, very quickly.

    It would be interesting to see what a professional would say about it. :confused1:
    I'm curious, my stylist says it reduces curl but doesn't really straighten, but redcues frizz. I'm curious what people have it think?
    Deciding what to be when I grow up!!!
    Mostly a 3b with thick, dry, frizzy hair. Using Jessicurl CC, re:coil, jessicurl conditioners and Elucence and Curl Junkie
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    That is interesting. My hair doesnt take to heat very well. I dont want to straighten it, just take some of the frizz out. I wonder if it would be worth it to try it out at home...
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    Merri wrote: »
    anniemae wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will work.

    When I've had the Coppola treatment done, my stylist first put the keratin formula on my hair, then blew it dry, then flatironed it such that it was poker straight. After the blow out, it looked straight, but not poker-straight. It looked like it usually looks when my stylist blows it dry. I think that if you don't flat-iron the keratin into your hair, it will wash out very, very quickly.

    It would be interesting to see what a professional would say about it. :confused1:
    I'm curious, my stylist says it reduces curl but doesn't really straighten, but redcues frizz. I'm curious what people have it think?

    This is true, but I think it also depends on your hair type, texture, thickness, wave/curl pattern, etc. For me, my hair is very straight (not like my avatar picture). I actually let it air-dry so that I get a little bit of wave back. It does wear off gradually though, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. It is fun for me to have straight hair for a change, especially during the summer.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    That is interesting. My hair doesnt take to heat very well. I dont want to straighten it, just take some of the frizz out. I wonder if it would be worth it to try it out at home...

    I think you can definitely do it at home - maybe someone can help you. I don't think it lasts as long when you do it yourself though. But, it will get rid of frizz - that's for sure.

    Maybe you can ask a hairstylist that knows your hair if they recommend it for you - or if it will be damaging to your hair. My hair actually feels like it's in better condition now - very, very soft and shiny. :) Good luck.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • MerriMerri Posts: 160Registered Users
    what type of curls did you have before? Mine are 3b mostly and wondering if I can lose most frizz and some curls. Did you have a consult first?
    Deciding what to be when I grow up!!!
    Mostly a 3b with thick, dry, frizzy hair. Using Jessicurl CC, re:coil, jessicurl conditioners and Elucence and Curl Junkie
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    Merri wrote: »
    what type of curls did you have before? Mine are 3b mostly and wondering if I can lose most frizz and some curls. Did you have a consult first?

    Merri,
    I was about a 2b before the Coppola treatment. Now, I am a 2a - or maybe even a 1c (not sure). You can see some pictures of what my hair looks like now straight. The fotki website is in my siggy. I lost all of my frizz and pretty much most of my curl. It is pretty straight now. I had it done 3 weeks ago. Also, I had this done last summer, too, and it wasn't as straight as it is now. Maybe because it was more humid last August than it is now....not sure.

    Before I had it done, I just talked to the stylist about it a little, and she told me about the process. It is pretty easy. I really like it for the summer months because the humidity is horrible on my hair. Now I can just either air-dry it or blow it dry in about 5 minutes. I don't have a huge amount of hair.

    Since you're a 3b, you will probably lose a lot of frizz and some curl - maybe you will just be wavy. Your hairstylist will probably have some better advice for you.

    I am just enjoying having straight hair for now because I know that it will wear off in about 2 months. Also, it is very, very soft and shiny now and feels much healthier. No split ends!!

    Good luck!! :)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog: