I caved.....

curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
Well, I did it. I colored my hair. I had eight months of grown-out gray, and I colored it again. I couldn't stand the difference in the texture. I had shiny, red curls, topped off with wooly gray hair. It just looked awful to me, and I couldn't stand the thought of my whole head looking like that. So I colored, and the woolyness is gone! The top of my hair is as smooth and nice as the bottom now. I read somewhere, I think in Going Gray, Looking Great, that some people have hair so fine, and almost weightless, that dye actually gives it more density, therefore it behaves better. That must be it, cos it's a perfect description of my hair. It's very soft, fine, and light, and as I say, like cotton candy. It really looks better now. Plus I don't think I had enough gray anyway, as the gray part was just kind of mousey looking. Maybe I'll try again when My hair is white, or close to it.
Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
LA Looks Sport Gel
Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey - as long as you're happy with your hair - it's all good! Congrats on making a decision that works for you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is like that--gets more body and actually feels better after adding color (I always go to a color similar to my own or a smidge darker, never lighter). I talked to the founder/head of Curl Junkie, and she said that depositing color can make hair less porous. (Unless I misunderstood). I find this for me is one of those weird things: an act that damages hair actually improves the look of it.

I only use permanent color now on roots for grays and use a dark brown glaze after on my whole head o' hair. I used to get really soft, nice, bouncy manageable hair with Joico Vero color (in a dark dark brown mixed with some black), but my new stylist doesn't use Joico, she uses Redken. I found the Redken harsher (made my scalp itch and smelled stronger).

I am trying to stick with glazes for non-colored hair parts to minimize damage.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • xxxxxxxxxx Posts: 94Registered Users
    x
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    x
    x
  • GracingsGracings Posts: 43Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Somewhat related to this issue:

Can anyone tell us if permanent gloss or glaze is fairly safe for the scalp? I'm just thinking that it could look awesome and give both shine and body to natural graying hair.
    Gracings wrote: »
    Somewhat related to this issue:

Can anyone tell us if permanent gloss or glaze is fairly safe for the scalp? I'm just thinking that it could look awesome and give both shine and body to natural graying hair.

Good question - I'm curious also....
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    MirCurls wrote: »
    My hair is like that--gets more body and actually feels better after adding color (I always go to a color similar to my own or a smidge darker, never lighter). I find this for me is one of those weird things: an act that damages hair actually improves the look of it.
    This is true for me as well. I don't go darker though, I choose a color similar to the color my hair was when I was much younger, maybe a tad lighter. I just look much better this way...it brightens up my whole "aura." :)
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Thanks guys for all the support! I appreciate it, as I've kind of felt like a failure about this. Gracings, the most mild color I've found is the one I've been using for years. It's L'oreal Excellence Creme. I've had NO scalp issues from this, and it's alot easier on my hair than even the other L'oreal formulas.
    LA Looks Sport Gel
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlyinohio, I don't think you should feel like a failure. You should feel free to have the hair color you want and are comfortable with.

I color my hair, too, because IMO the grays don't mix well with my natural blond-red. The color looks natural and healthy. To each her own -- I make no apologies for coloring my hair! :)
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    *A*Curly wrote: »
    alacurl wrote: »
    curlyinohio, I don't think you should feel like a failure. You should feel free to have the hair color you want and are comfortable with.

I color my hair, too, because IMO the grays don't mix well with my natural blond-red. The color looks natural and healthy. To each her own -- I make no apologies for coloring my hair! :)

And NOBODY should. I think you misunderstood because it's was never a denial thing in using hair color. If you read back some of the 'gray hair' posts - you will it see it has nothing to do with covering up the fact that 'we' color our hair.

huh?

I don't know what you are referring to. I was responding to curlyinohio, who said she "kind of felt like a failure about this." See her post directly above mine. ...

Some ladies here have beautiful gray curls -- they wear their hair like they want to, and that's the way it should be. That's what I meant by "to each her own."
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • GRUGRU Posts: 32Registered Users
    I've been using henna to cover my grays for about 6-7 months now.

My grays are so wiry that they drove me NUTSO, always sticking up and reflecting light like a beacon that says, "Hey! Over here! Look at me! I'm different than my neighbors! See how I stick up and they all lie down -- I am so AWESOME!"

I can still pick out which hairs were gray pre-henna, but they don't do the "beacon" thing anymore... I guess they just don't feel as "different" as they used to, so they just hang out with the rest of the hairs.
    --combination 3b/3c, CG method since Oct 2009
    --former Product Junkie, now a Product Minimalist
    --using henna to cover gray and add oomph to strawberry-blonde hair
    x
    porzellan wrote: »
    i´m so excited about my 1inch-silver&anthracite roots! this coulors will go very well with my complexion. i often wear clothes in all shades of gray, because it´s so flattering to my pale skin with the rosy cheeks.
    at the moment i really love it to go gray! it´s my first attempt...

Good luck - glad you're pleased with the color so far!

I shared your excitement in growing out my gray. It was a huge disappointment when the texture was so awful. I don't know if more gray, or white, would make it better or not, I just know I don't want to color forever. I'm gonna try again later, when my hair has much more gray than now, and boy, I hope it will be much more smooth by then!
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    x
    Yes, I've always done DTs. Usually once a week, twice a week if I'm unable to, and I have to miss a week.
    I use Garnier Fructis Masque, mixed with coconut oil olive oil, whichever. I wear a plastic cap, and apply heat with a blow dryer for 15-20 minutes, and then wear it to bed. I made sure the grays didn't dry out. I don't even rinse out my conditioner. My regular after-washing conditioner WAS my leave in. So I don't know what the problem is, except that those ornery grays were just plain impossible.
    LA Looks Sport Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file