Question about stripping hair color

keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
I dyed my hair darkest brown with Claroil Natural Instincts at the first of the year. Since then, I've used Bigen Black twice, the last time being about 2 months ago.

I want to go lighter (like a dark mahogany color), but I've never gone from black to light before.

I understand the process is to strip the color and then deposit more color. If you've gone through this process before, how has this affected your hair?
Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's oretty difficult to lighten hair that has been dyed dark, so I would go to a professional. If you are not going much lighter, it shouldn't cause too much damage. Just be sure to condition well afterwards.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    definitely get a pro to do it. Otherwise you'll most likely end up orange. I've seen it happen many times. Its difficult to do on your own. ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you're not trying to lighten it up too much, then you might try ColorFix. It can lift old color but won't lighten your natural color. We have used it twice on my sis's hair when it went too dark after years of coloring.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    CurliLocks, what color did it turn out? If it only takes you back to your original color, that would be fine with me. Just wondering if I would be in danger of turning orange.

Thx.

Oh, and if this doesn't work out, I will definitely get a pro to do it.

ETA: My natural hair color is med-dark brown.

******************Results***************************
    I used one pkg Colorfix for 8-10 mins under the dryer and shampooed out. DT with AO Honeysuckle Rose w/EVOO

This came out a nice auburn color, so, I'm not going to color it right now. I'm going to see if this changes shades over the next few days and go from there.

Thanks so much CurliLocks!!!! :D
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ******************Results***************************
    I used one pkg Colorfix for 8-10 mins under the dryer and shampooed out. DT with AO Honeysuckle Rose w/EVOO

This came out a nice auburn color, so, I'm not going to color it right now. I'm going to see if this changes shades over the next few days and go from there.

Thanks so much CurliLocks!!!! :D
    Wow, you did it already?! It sounds like it's a nice color. :) Pics?

Did you use all 3 bottles? My sis only used the first 2 with shampoo since she only needed to lighten a couple of shades. But it took a long time. Her hair turned a nice warm, medium brown. Actually lighter than mine and her's in normally darker. LOL She didn't re-dye after either.

Glad it worked so well for you. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Keepitmovin, I use Colorfix. I think you can get at Sally's but it's also available through www.robertcraig.com. It has 3 bottles tjat you mix together -- a color reducer, conditioning catlyst and processing lotion. Robert Craig recommends against using the processing lotion because it contains hydrogen peroxide, so I did not use it. I used the first 2 solutions mixed together full strength the first time, and my color stripped right away. It smells stinky but did not harm my hair at all. I was able to color immediately after. It's quite safe and can be used repeatedly, as long as you don't use that hydrogen-peroxide based processing lotion. Second time I used it I diluted in shampoo and it didn't do as good a job.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Sorry to jump in on your thread keepitmovin, but I have some questions about stripping hair color that I hope someone will answer soon.

Here's what happened to me today:

I went in for lowlights & didn't have a picture to show my stylist what size of strips/chunks I wanted & where I wanted them placed.

Wella Chestnut mixed with Light Golden Brown was chosen & my natural hair color is dark golden blonde/light strawberry red.

She asked if I wanted weaving, but I didn't know what that was & still don't. I know what chunking & color blocking are, as well as frosting & complete dye jobs. I thought I knew what a foil was.

I tried to explain I wanted chunks all over, spaced apart & about a thumb's width each. I said I didn't want the wide shocking color blocks that can be seen from across a large crowded room & not the thin strips that can only be seen when someone's standing shoulder to shoulder with me. I also told her I didn't want a dye job.

She did a foil & what I have looks like a dye job. :cry: It's a tad dark & there's way too much of it. None of my natural color can be seen so I'm going to try to muster the courage to call her to get back in to see her before she goes on maternity leave to fix our combined mistake.

Here are my questions:
    * Can my hair disaster be remedied by stripping out certain sections of the color?
    * Or will she have to strip all the color she used & start fresh?
    * I see it's been said it won't affect natural color, but what will the stripping do to already dry hair?
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    Permanent hair color when used effects natural hair color. It permanently alters your hair so it all depends on what products she used on your hair. If she didnt use a permanent color you can use it and go back to your natural color
    It was probably a permanent color. I don't know much about it other than it was more than likely Wella & the colors she used, though not the code of the colors.

Can you believe dye was still coming out of my hair when I water & condition-rinsed that night & when I went to bed with it damp, the next morning the embroidered pillow cases hubby bought at an antique store were stained brown!!! This has NEVER happened to me before. :evil:

I called her ETA: Wednesday (not on yesterday/Thanksgiving) & she was with customers so I waited & waited, then waited some more for her to return my call & she didn't. Now she's not in until next Weds because she's out of town!!! So I told the receptionist/wash girl what happened & that I needed to speak with my stylist & again left my name & number for her to call back then.
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    I had y hair stripped at a salon and it made my hair so dry it took it awhile to get back to normal. when I first get my hair colored alot of color comes off. I never went to bed with wet hair though so I dont know if it would get on my pillow case. I see so much going down the drain though I wonder if any color will still be on my head. Its get better after a few washes. Also try not to use anything to strong on it I try to do CO washes the first few times. I hadnt thought though if you want to lighten it up I guess you could do that with stronger shampoos. Wella makes a demi that alot use in foil
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    Liz:

If she's going to be away maybe you should just go back to the salon, explain your problem to the manager and maybe someone else will correct it for you (and they should do it for free/tips).

I've been coloring my own hair for a ton of years and even when it was darker I never had color coming off like that nor heard of permanent or even semi-permanent hair color staining a pillow case so I'm kind of dumbfounded about what she may have used on your hair. However, sounds like the excess color could wash out of your hair easily, perhaps you should buy a cheap cholesterol DT, like Queen Helene's (available in the ethnic hair product section at many drugstores and supermarkets) and use it with heat, they are very good at removing some color while leaving the hair moisturized and soft. If you don't see a significant difference, then go to the salon.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    So last night I used Aveda Detoxifier then did a deep treat with Brazilian Nut Mask (I hope that's the name) from The Body Shop & no more color came out so it's still too dark for my liking, with barely any visible natural color showing through. :(

I'll wait until she returns because it's easier to deal with her than with the manager. I'll even show her the pillow cases if she has doubts.
    UPDATE: I left a message for my stylist on the 22nd because she was busy. She didn't call back. Then I called for her on the 25th, but found out she wasn't going to be back in until today, the 29th so I left a message then. I waited until after noon & called but was told she was having lunch so I had to leave another message. She didn't call back until after 8. She told me to wait approximately 10 days to (1) see if she can fit me in & (2) see if it tones down anymore.

ETA: One of the receptionists called me last night (12-5) to have me come in this morning (12-6) due to another customer canceling! She put light chunks through my hair & it looks cute! I like it a whole lot better than the overall dark color. Which by the time I got to her it had faded somewhat due to me clarifying & regular shampooing often & not protecting it at all with leave-in conditioner nor product in hopes it would lighten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file