dry gray hair

pchpch Posts: 23Registered Users
Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I am hoping you can give me suggestions for my curly gray hair. I have been growing it out for the last 7 months (very slowly) from a very short hair style. I have had my hair short for over 25 years and forgot how much curl I have. I am a 3b. My hair is 90% gray and very dry and frizzy. I need a good deep conditioner.

Comments

• anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This site is full of good ideas. Do you leave conditioner in your hair?

It's hard to know how to help without knowing your routine.

Here's mine:

Wash with VO5 conditioner (I am currently using Blackberry Sage scent)

Rinse.

Condition with Suave Coconut Conditioner

Comb through and Rinse upside down.

Squeeze into completely wet hair about a tablespoon of GVP Conditioning balm (Sally's biolage knockoff)
    mixed with a fingertip of honey and/or top off with LA Sport Gel. Plop for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour and air dry......Nice moisturized curls.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would second the Biolage knock off Conditioning balm. Walgreen's has theirs on sale right now.
    I used it today as a deep treatment.
    I also like the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
    as both a rinse out and mixed with my gel as a leave in.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My gray hair eats up more conditioners and butters than anything. I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mop-Top-Deep-Conditioner-p-719.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=moptop-deep-conditioner]Mop Top Deep conditioner[/buylink], it gives visible results. I like to leave conditioner in my hair and scrunch a little shea butter or castor oil on the ends before gelling. Really helps.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i have found that i need to leave in a LOT of conditioner for my gray/white hair now that i've stopped coloring. i actually use a deep treatment conditioner as a leave in, and get great results. my hair is actually soft and shiny. currently i have been using spiral solutions deeply decadent treatment, and have used curl junkie curl rehab this way. also, i have had mixed results with devacurl heaven in hair, depends on dewpoint i think.
    don't be afraid, lots of moisture!!
    also, my hair no longer can tolerate a lot of protein, and one person had explained that gray hair does not do well with protein, so that could be making your hair dry. (sorry, i have forgotten the explanation, but it made perfect sense.)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • pchpch Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for their help. I co-wash with suave naturals once to twice a week. I then put more conditioner in my hair and barely rinse out. I have tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]deva angel[/buylink] gel. I can't seem to get the amount right. Too little and I have major frizz, too much and I have stiff hair. I guess I don't have the formula or amounts right. My hair looks like it has been singed. I also try to deep cond once a week. Is it possible that I have over conditioned my hair? I am planning on trying some of the products you have mentioned. I don't think I have ever had this many products in my bathroom. When I had short hair it was shampoo , cond and my hair dryer.
    One other thing I think I should mention, I have only been CG for less than a month. I have read that it sometimes takes up to 3 months before your hair starts showing signs of healing. Is this true? Do I have to go through 3 months of bad hair days?
    maybe suave naturals isn't heavy enough for gray hair? i would leave all of it in, see how it looks. if it is too much after it dries, you can wet your hands and run them through your hair a few times. what do you deep condition with? and, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]deva angel[/buylink] can be drying, make sure you have leave in first. also, what are your dewpoints? you may need a product that seals in the moisture on very dry days. i use either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]deva set it free[/buylink], or curl junkie curl assurance leave in as a sealer.

rbb

I have also tried Aubrey's honeysuckle rose cond and Burt's Bee's cond. For a deep cond I was trying one of the potions out of the curyl girl book called Love is in the Hair. It is okay but hard to rinse out. I used it today and it feels greasy. I will wash it out tomorrow. I did order some Curl Junkie products today. This weekend I plan to go to Sally's and get the GVP Cond Balm. This last month I have spent a fortune on hair products. Pretty soon I will be able to open up my own store of partially used hair products.
    pch wrote: »
    rbb

This last month I have spent a fortune on hair products. Pretty soon I will be able to open up my own store of partially used hair products.

join the club, we've all been there. :cry: i was lucky in that when i first went cg and was still coloring my hair, i started with deva products which were perfect for me. unfortunately, they have changed the formulas of several products, specifically the one condition which was my hg, so i've been searching. add to that that i stopped coloring my hair in march '09, so the gray/white hair adds a whole different dimension.
    someone mentioned that since gray hair behaves so differently we ought to have our own forum. i agree!! like maybe in the section with the different hair types.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I think we grays should have our own forum. Gray hair has a whole list of different issues. Between the different colors of gray and textures, the care of the hair is totally different. Anyone agree?
    i agree!!

I just used alba botanica leave-in conditioner, and it works wonders, so far on my gray hair. I had to add coconut oil to it in my palm. It detangles well and my hair wet is slippery and soft. BTW, I conditioned with GVP conditioning balm. That stuff is the bomb! Wish Sally's had the Biolage leave-in. You know someone needs to make a product line for gray/aging natural hair. I've wasted a ton of money on natural conditioners that do nothing for my hair. Gray hair just doesn't hold moisture like younger hair. Just like older skin doesn't hold moisture. Same principle,I guess.
    *A*Curly wrote: »
    You know someone needs to make a product line for gray/aging natural hair. I've wasted a ton of money on natural conditioners that do nothing for my hair. Gray hair just doesn't hold moisture like younger hair. Just like older skin doesn't hold moisture. Same principle,I guess.

That is so true in my quest now. I went through the whole hit or miss thing when searching for curly products - I want to keep it simple with my gray hair transion as it will be ongoing.

I adore my curls and will not compromise them in any way and I’m having a hard time finding products that will work for BOTH (aside from the few mentioned here by other gray haired curlies) .

I checked out one of those shimmer blue shampoos and put it back because it was full of ingredients I don’t want to use on my natural curls.

I hope Lorraine Massey is thinking about a second book that addresses natural gray hair curlies.

As far as the blue or purple tinted shampoos go, pick up a little tube of red gold corrector at Sally's, and
    add it to a small bottle of your cowash conditioner
    to use every week or two, as needed.
    I washed my hair with apple cider vinegar this morning. My hair feel really soft and clean. Because it is raining and windy here today I didn't put any other product on. I look like a fuzz ball, but a soft and clean fuzz ball.:blob2:
  • GracingsGracings Posts: 43Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First of all, Suburbanbushbaby, look at those fabulous curls taking shape!!!! You may just be moving out of the 4 category and into a 3c? Healthy, healthy, healthy curl transformation!

Ladies, I would be all for a gray hair section, since I'm on that pondering path.
  • GracingsGracings Posts: 43Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can you list the link again? All I got was a file not found. I'll be happy to add to that list!
    Has anyone heard of Nature's gate organics anti-aging shampoo, conditioner and mask. Is it new or discontinued??
    *A*Curly wrote: »
    Gracings wrote: »
    Ladies, I would be all for a gray hair section, since I'm on that pondering path.

GREAT! I emailed Getchen directly and posted on the feedback page as a suggestion. It would be great if you added onto my post (in the link below) - if enough people request it - it will be done.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=103780

any idea how many responses she would need before we can get a gray hair section?
    i am really finding it is quite a challenge to keep my gray hair moisturized, but not overly conditioned. when right, my hair does look great. i'd like to have that more consistently. i feel as tho i am newly cg!! well, i do have new hair, so i guess that qualifies!! lol

I finally did hear back directly from Gretchen last night and her reply was:
    Well, we have a mature section and a hair coloring area, so it seems a bit redundant ...

I totally disagree that we fit in those sections because not everyone going gray is or even reads the “mature’ section and as we no longer color our hair - why would they read the hair coloring threads?

Obviously there was no research into this on their end or they would see the worth it would be to the rest of us - not only as a curly but a culy growing out their gray hair.

NOTE: You are all free to reply to Gretchen's reply email.
    thanks. i will reply.
    once they have gray hair that they are not coloring they will clearly see what a huge difference it makes in products, etc. i honestly did not really understand, until i grew out my color.
    i feel as tho i grew up in a straight hair era, never knew what to do with my hair, and once again i am on my own. there are some posts about this, but how nice to get all the info in one area, and have more people add to it.

i don't see gretchen's email here or on feedback. can you give me the direct link?
    thanks!

Even if we can't get a section just for naturally curly naturally grays, lets keep posting hints in this thread. It probably won't result in our own section,but at least there will be more information coming up as people search for info on transitioning to gray.
    I've noticed lots more activity in the wavy 2 section lately, but it hasn't resulted in separate categories for
    2A, B, or C.
    I found cj rehab got my gray hair just as soft as can be. Then I went and did something stupid. I used a conditioner that had silicone. I have to admit my hair looked good and the curls were well defined. Today I used a sulfate shampoo to get the silicone out and when I washed my hair it felt like straw. I am now back to square one and will have to deep cond again. I learned my lesson and will give all my silicone products to my daughter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file