Decent sunblocks?

oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
Not that I tend to get burnt much where I live, but I've decided to start wearing sunblock as a matter of course when I go out now (my 82 year old grandmother has great skin cause she kept covered up and covered in sunblock when she went out - I'd like to get that when I'm older as well!). I need some recommendations for both sunblock for the body as well as the face. I'm a bit worried about it leaving my face oily - I've got sensitive combination skin (the one combo they don't make anything for!) and I've only recently figured out how to keep it happy.

I don't mind cones too much, though I'd prefer to keep them off my face as they clog up my pores. Body-wise I'll use whatever works.

Recommendations? Or at least of which ingredients to look for in a good sunblock?
3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,727Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i am a huge fan of Neutrogena's sun screen products - both face and body.

the newer ones with Mexoryl/Helioplex are better than the old ones with Paba.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I second Neutrogena. There are non-comedogenic moisturizers with high SPF, like this which I use:

200.JPG

I also use the Dry Touch:
    011508-neutrogena-dry-touch.jpg

If you want a little boost in coverage on top of the liquid sunblock, there are some drugstore brands that make loose powders with SPF, like Neutrogena (again) and Physician's Formula. I just bought SPF 45 powder sunscreen from e.l.f. and I like it so far. It does a decent job of mattifying my skin and evens out some slight imperfections in my complexion.

83332_spf-45-powder_prodpage.jpg
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Another vote for Neutrogena! I really like the Ultra Sheer Dry Touch for the body - it doesn't leave you feeling greasy like most sunscreens.

I use the Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer or their Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer on my face - both with SPF 30. I have some liquid foundation that is too dark for me, but I mix a drop of it with the moisturizer and make my own tinted moisturizer. It gives me decent coverage without it being too heavy for the summer. I'm very happy with it! :toothy4:

031706_neutrogena_01b.jpg

41MtNjhHhJL._AA260_.jpg

oddityofwings - I'm just so glad you (and other posters!) are recognizing the benefits of protecting yourself from the sun!!! Smart girl!!! :glasses7:
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    :sad11: I checked in Boots today and Neutrogena doesn't make sunblock in the UK. Durnit. Any idea what ingredients are so great in it so I can find something similar? I know I need to get something with UVA and UVB blockers, and to preferably avoid oxybenzane, but nothing beyond that.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

• VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This Eucerin is my favorite...it leaves a nice matte finish on my skin; it isn't oily and it doesn't break me out.
    2l8yg6c.jpg
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    :sad11: I checked in Boots today and Neutrogena doesn't make sunblock in the UK. Durnit. Any idea what ingredients are so great in it so I can find something similar? I know I need to get something with UVA and UVB blockers, and to preferably avoid oxybenzane, but nothing beyond that.

The Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer has these listed as Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 12%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 1.7%, Oxybenzone 3%. These are the same ingredients listed in the Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer I like to use in the winter, but it's too heavy for the summer.

The packaging on the Neutrogena Visibly Even has this: Helioplex®, an advanced patented sunscreen complex, penetrates six layers of surface skin to give you advanced protection against aging UVA rays to help prevent premature signs of aging and future discoloration caused by the sun.

Sounds good to me!

I've also been happy with the Olay Complete Defense Daily UV moisturizer SPF 30 - here are the ingredients. Maybe you can find that.

HTH!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • soulsalsasoulsalsa Posts: 119Registered Users
    I love the Devita 30 and 50 sunscreens. The 50 covers both UVB/UVA with the percentage of Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide. They are awesome in the fact that they seem more like moisturizers with no white cast ever. They do protect though. I would like to try out the Burnout brand next for comparison.
    Hair Inspirations: My Lil Sis/MIKA/Vashtie Kola
    3b/3c::.thick::.porous::.med-normal texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Red Raspberry
    Condish: BellaCurl Condish
    Leave-in: BellaCurl Elixir
    Style: Giovanni LA Natural Gel or KMF UM Gel/BC Gellie/SS Emollience
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent
    Trying: Bella Curl
    Color: Jamila Henna

"...there is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness..."-Ghandi
    I scoured Boots today (I think the people in the perfumery on the edge of the summer stuff section thought I was mad!), and finally found something that should do. Seems like most of the non-luxury brands don't use the benzones, and most seem to have zinc and or titanium oxide. I picked up this to see how it goes. (Yes, SPF 50+ - I am pasty pasty pasty, and more sensitive than usual after living so far north for 4 years...)

Ambre Solaire is a great brand - i didn't realize they had been bought by Garnier.
    My blog:

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like Neutrogena as well as Aveeno. I have the same kind of skin and these brands seem to work best! The kind that was the absolute worst was the Oil of Olay and Mary Kay stuff.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    Daily sunblock, Kinerase Daily Defense lotion spf 30.

Banana Boats Baby faces and places when at the beach, swimming or anything that requires me to be outdoors all day. It is waterproof, sweat proof and doesnt dry out my skin.

My kids use Bullfrog gel...
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ingredients that have good uva/uvb protection are avobenzone (aka parasol 1789 or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane), titanium dioxide, zinc oxide (think life guards nose), or Mexoryl SX, or Tinosorb (outside US).
    Some sunscreens have stabilized versions of avobenzone. Helioplex is neutrogena's name. Antioxidents also help stabilize the sunblock.
    The cosmetic cop has lots of good articles on sunscreen. Here is a basic one to start with http://www.cosmeticscop.com/sun-care-essentials.aspx
    Ideally apply every 2 hours and make sue you used enough.

I like neutrogena ulta sheer for the face and ocean potion for the body (I'm too cheap to use neutrogena on my body). Ocean Potion smells like an orange creamsicle (yum).
    Ultimately the best sunscreen is one you will use. Smaller numbers tend to be less greasy. If your sunblock is so expensive you use it sparingly, that is not good either.
    I stopped trying to tan when I was 16 and started wearing sunblock with one of the ingredients listed above daily about 10 years ago. I'm nearly 40 and still get carded occasionally. I'm not delusional enough to think I look like a college student, but I think the sunblock has helped my super pale skin.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would be cautious with avobenzone. If you have sensitive, easily irritated skin (as I do, along with some rosacea, eczema and KP - yes I am a complete mess), avobenzone is awful. It can sting, itch, turn you red from irritation, and some people experience break outs. It took me awhile to figure out that was my problem. Unfortunately alot of items that have built in SPF (foundations, tinted moisturizers, etc) use that. It is most frustrating. Just something to be aware of in case you weren't. Neutrogena unfortunately is a no go for me (I tried healthy defense) because it flaired my KP ridiculously.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would be cautious with avobenzone. If you have sensitive, easily irritated skin (as I do, along with some rosacea, eczema and KP - yes I am a complete mess), avobenzone is awful. It can sting, itch, turn you red from irritation, and some people experience break outs. It took me awhile to figure out that was my problem. Unfortunately alot of items that have built in SPF (foundations, tinted moisturizers, etc) use that. It is most frustrating. Just something to be aware of in case you weren't. Neutrogena unfortunately is a no go for me (I tried healthy defense) because it flaired my KP ridiculously.

So what have you found that you can use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »

The following - found this a week or two ago - and I actually had the opportunity to use it today!
    I scoured Boots today (I think the people in the perfumery on the edge of the summer stuff section thought I was mad!), and finally found something that should do. Seems like most of the non-luxury brands don't use the benzones, and most seem to have zinc and or titanium oxide. I picked up this to see how it goes. (Yes, SPF 50+ - I am pasty pasty pasty, and more sensitive than usual after living so far north for 4 years...)

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like Neutrogena Dry Touch for body. I think the one I have is SPF85. I will be trying the new Ultra Sheer Liquid by Neutrogena soon, for my face. I was loving Shiseido SPF55 Lotion but it's discontinued and the replacement SPF60 is not getting raves.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    2poodles wrote: »

So far, not much. Right now, Eucerin Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion. It has SPF 15 in it, no avobenzone and a green neutralizer for the redness. It's ok but not perfect. My face is super reactive so it's really hard to find something that doesn't set it off. There are some product suggestions on here I am interested in checking out that don't have avobenzone. http://www.stylelist.com/2010/05/17/sunscreen-sensitivity/

For body, I have previously found spray versions to be easier on me. Usually I use Coppertone Sport but my skin has become more reactive lately so I don't know if that will still work. It's an ongoing battle.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Posts: 218Registered Users
    I've heard physical blocks are the best. I got a zinc oxide stick, but it didn't work for me because I'm not... white, or at least not that white. That stuff does not blend in well. I use some dollar store lotion now. It has avobenzone which is supposed to be one of the better "chemical" screens, as others have already said. It works for me and the thyroid med I take leaves me very sensitive to both the sun and skincare products, so that's really saying something!
    Formerly ElsaG
    oddity, can you get Ombrelle in England? that's another one that's very good and it's available here in Canada, but not in the US.
    My blog:

• caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Like another poster, I have sensitive, combo skin as well(but getting older, in my early 60s). Chemical sunblocks for the most part burn me, and I found that using a physical block is best for me. The challenge was finding one that didn't leave my light-to-medium, slightly-olive skin all pasty. A few months ago I took advantage of a great facial deal and the esthetician recommended CosMedix Reflect SPF 30, a spray-on physical sunblock product. It's not cheap, but a bottle of this has lasted me since January for the face, and I just love this - it feels more like a nice hydrating treatment than a sunblock, and just 4 sprays on the face does it for an application. It's going to take another few months to go through the bottle. Another great thing about physical blocks is that they are effective the minute they go on, plus they are photostable.
    On the drugstore front, Neutrogena just came out with their Healthy Defense for sensitive skin, SPF 50, which is physical, I believe. If I decide to switch from what I have, or to have something to throw in my purse for longer days out, this would be a candidate.
  • CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Posts: 218Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote: »
    oddity, can you get Ombrelle in England? that's another one that's very good and it's available here in Canada, but not in the US.

I thought I saw Ombrelle around (in the U.S.). I can picture the box. It could be one of those things that the U.S. has banned, like Tender Vittles cat food. I get the reasoning - Tender Vittles has high levels of sodium and sugar that can lead to health problems, but it's amazing some of the things the U.S. outlaws versus just as harmful stuff that is readily available (in the U.S.).
    Formerly ElsaG
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 100 for my body, and I use Bioderma Photoderm Max Fluide on my face and hands. I'd use it everywhere but it's prciey. It has better UVA protection than the US stuff has.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file