We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Yarn Braids?

NATURALLYchipmunkkNATURALLYchipmunkk Posts: 125Registered Users
I want to get them SOO BAD but i cant find any place in NYC that does them, does anyone know of a place and what were your experiences with yearn braids:D
Hair type: Some random curly fuzzy stringy stuff God planted on my head
Deep conditioners: Homemade baby (honey, yogurt, eggs, shea butter whippd)
Oils: Shea, Jojoba, Castor
Vitamins: Biotin 1000 mcgs, Prenatals

event.png

Not jus' a round faced girl, but a NATURAL round faced girl
2vdmh74.jpg

Comments

• pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    Have you considered doing them yourself?
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • NATURALLYchipmunkkNATURALLYchipmunkk Posts: 125Registered Users
    Have you considered doing them yourself?

yeah but i dont want to look a hot mess lol

event.png

2vdmh74.jpg
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    black onyx on youtube has a good tutorial on them
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    CocoT wrote: »

That's the one I used. I did them myself and they did NOT look a hot mess lol

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • nicole.nicole. Posts: 74Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »

That's the one I used. I did them myself and they did NOT look a hot mess lol

How long did it take? I kinda wanna put them in myself too...

• kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users
    I, too , have been thinking of doing them myself. I've had the yarn in my closet for over a month. I've a test braid and it seems easy enough but I guess I'm not ready to do actually sit down and do my whole head. The youtubers who I've seen all say it took them hours or days to do.

Then there is the whole issue of my scalp. I know you can still wash your hair but I worry about messing up the integrity of the briads with too much washing. My scalp gets crazy itchy after just a few days and the braid sprays and seabreeze does not help. Nor does oiling my scalp.

With that said, I still want to do them. Actually before seeing this thread, I was trying to talk myself up to doing them again. Maybe start Friday night and finish up on saturday. Maybe...
    i took your advice and did them myself and braiders professional braiders DESERVE my money my hands hurt and they came out ok lol i will upload pics when im done.

event.png

2vdmh74.jpg
    nicole. wrote: »
    How long did it take? I kinda wanna put them in myself too...

Yarn braids took me 15 hours and yarn twists took me 9. I have pictures of the braids in my fotki, but I will post pics of the twists if you want to see.
    I, too , have been thinking of doing them myself. I've had the yarn in my closet for over a month. I've a test braid and it seems easy enough but I guess I'm not ready to do actually sit down and do my whole head. The youtubers who I've seen all say it took them hours or days to do.

Then there is the whole issue of my scalp. I know you can still wash your hair but I worry about messing up the integrity of the briads with too much washing. My scalp gets crazy itchy after just a few days and the braid sprays and seabreeze does not help. Nor does oiling my scalp.

With that said, I still want to do them. Actually before seeing this thread, I was trying to talk myself up to doing them again. Maybe start Friday night and finish up on saturday. Maybe...

Actually, washing doesn't bother the braids, because they don't get frizzy. The parts will look different, but not the yarn. A lot of people (myself included) like them better after washing, because they look more like real locs/dreads. The only thing is that they take forever to dry.
    i took your advice and did them myself and braiders professional braiders DESERVE my money my hands hurt and they came out ok lol i will upload pics when im done.

Yes, I've been thinking about that more and more. I did my yarn twists on Saturday/Sunday, just finished my sister's and I have to do my mom's later on.

event.png

I did mine this weekend as well. I figured this thread was a sign that I needed to just do away with the excuses and do them. Took me about 16 hours, spread out over 3 days.

I think they came out really well, especially considering I never did box braids at all. Actually, I think it is a good idea to start with yarn. You learn the technique,with only three strands of "hair" and then you can graduate to real hair.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with how my hair turned out. Here are a couple pics. (OMG, it took forever to figure out how to resize them:?)
  • nicole.nicole. Posts: 74Registered Users
    ^^

They look really nice! I was practicing this weekend but I swear, I am SO bad at braiding hair with any type of extension. You can always see my real hair poking out the braids and being all fuzzy, ya know? I had to braid the same braid like 8 times just so it would look somewhat neat.

Once I braid my whole head later this month, it's going to take foreeever omg.

• jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users
    I'm considering yarn braids as my protective style next winter (I know a ways away) and have a few questions for the ladies who've had them.

Is the yarn heavy on your head? I wouldn't imagine it so but no clue

Is the yarn drying to the hair? and Does the yarn cause split ends?
    I only ask because I take great effort in making sure the only cloth-like material my hair touches is satin... satin pillowcases, scarves, bonnets etc. and to protect my hair from my cotton shirts I either wear it up or moisturize and seal when its down.

Thanks ladies
    Poo: Giovanni TTT
    CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
    DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
    Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
    Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil
    nicole. wrote: »
    ^^

They look really nice! I was practicing this weekend but I swear, I am SO bad at braiding hair with any type of extension. You can always see my real hair poking out the braids and being all fuzzy, ya know? I had to braid the same braid like 8 times just so it would look somewhat neat.

Once I braid my whole head later this month, it's going to take foreeever omg.

Thanks for the compliment. As far as getting the technique down for braiding the yarn, I liked this video, /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dewj2AmR63f0%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated" class="Popup. Although I think next I will take the pp suggestion and do twists. I saw a video earlier on how someone twisted, but I can't find. I just keep finding videos of those who twist, but would braid the hair first. Oh well.:dontknow:

And about cutting down on the fuzziness, maybe you can blowdry the hair first. I didn't blowdry, and I did have a little bit of fuzziness (guess it just didn't show up on camera), but I think my trimming my ends and straightening my hair the week prior probably cut down on the amount of fuzz I had. The fuzz doesn't bother me.

Good luck with your braiding.
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    I did mine this weekend as well. I figured this thread was a sign that I needed to just do away with the excuses and do them. Took me about 16 hours, spread out over 3 days.

I think they came out really well, especially considering I never did box braids at all. Actually, I think it is a good idea to start with yarn. You learn the technique,with only three strands of "hair" and then you can graduate to real hair.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with how my hair turned out. Here are a couple pics. (OMG, it took forever to figure out how to resize them:?)

they came out great. you look very nice.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

jeweld wrote: »
    I'm considering yarn braids as my protective style next winter (I know a ways away) and have a few questions for the ladies who've had them.

I only ask because I take great effort in making sure the only cloth-like material my hair touches is satin... satin pillowcases, scarves, bonnets etc. and to protect my hair from my cotton shirts I either wear it up or moisturize and seal when its down.

Thanks ladies

The yarn is not heavy at all. Honestly, weightwise, it feels just like my hair.

Being that it is my first time doing the yarn braids, I'm not sure if I could fully answer the questions yet and would have to wait for the takedown. But from what i've heard, the yarn actually helps retain moisture better and as long as you properly take them down (no pulling or yanking, maybe adding an oil or conditioner for slip) they should be fine and you shouldn't have any split ends. HTH :profileright:
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users

you did an excellent job!
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :happy10: took these just now in class

event.png

2vdmh74.jpg

I've been waiting to see yours. I like it alot. Did you use 2 pieces of yarn or 3?
  • jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users
    jeweld wrote: »

Thanks ladies

The yarn is not heavy at all. Honestly, weightwise, it feels just like my hair.

Being that it is my first time doing the yarn braids, I'm not sure if I could fully answer the questions yet and would have to wait for the takedown. But from what i've heard, the yarn actually helps retain moisture better and as long as you properly take them down (no pulling or yanking, maybe adding an oil or conditioner for slip) they should be fine and you shouldn't have any split ends. HTH :profileright:

Thanks kandiekj100:angel10:, your yarn braids look so nice
    Poo: Giovanni TTT
    CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
    DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
    Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
    Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil
    You guys did a great job!

I moisturized every day or every other day and my hair was well moisturized after I took them down.

Here are mine
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fimages12.fotki.com%2Fv540%2Fphotos%2F8%2F1476028%2F8597222%2FHPIM1912-vi.jpg" class="Popup

My mom's
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash1%2Fhs342.ash1%2F29254_1259410859419_1654083517_667082_979918_n.jpg" class="Popup

and my sister's
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-sjc1%2Fhs353.snc3%2F29254_1259410899420_1654083517_667083_3587430_n.jpg" class="Popup

They were very adventurous and tried burgundy! I'm tempted to do black with splashes of purple for my next one :happy4:

event.png

You guys did a great job!

I moisturized every day or every other day and my hair was well moisturized after I took them down.

Here are mine
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fimages12.fotki.com%2Fv540%2Fphotos%2F8%2F1476028%2F8597222%2FHPIM1912-vi.jpg" class="Popup

My mom's
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash1%2Fhs342.ash1%2F29254_1259410859419_1654083517_667082_979918_n.jpg" class="Popup

and my sister's
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-sjc1%2Fhs353.snc3%2F29254_1259410899420_1654083517_667083_3587430_n.jpg" class="Popup

They were very adventurous and tried burgandy! I'm tempted to do black with splashes of purple for my next one :happy4:

Ooh, I think I might try brown highlights next time. I like that. And I definitely like the twists. Kinda reminds me of kinky twists. Not sure if that is because how big you did them (how many piences yarn did use per twist) or how close up your pic was. Anyways, I love the look!

Ooh, I think I might try brown highlights next time. I like that. And I definitely like the twists. Kinda reminds me of kinky twists. Not sure if that is because how big you did them (how many piences yarn did use per twist) or how close up your pic was. Anyways, I love the look!

Lots of people have told me that thye look like kinky twists! I always use two pieces, but I think my parts are larger than most people's.

event.png

I've been waiting to see yours. I like it alot. Did you use 2 pieces of yarn or 3?

thnx i used 2 pieces in the back and towards the top of my head i used 3. and guess what my family ACTUALLY commented me! :laughing3: i guess cause im taking care of it idk lol

event.png

2vdmh74.jpg
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users
    i like those a lot...how they're matte rather than shiny.. cool!!:love7:
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • MsladiiMsladii Posts: 442Registered Users
    I'm late..... But for you ladies in NYC I know someone who does them... She works at a salon in manhattan... Has natural hair, specializes in natural hair... All that good stuff... I went to high school with her...

I'm going to get all her info and post it here... I'm also about to get some done... So I'll let you know how it goes!
    PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL IT WILL BE ABOUT NATURAL HAIR CARE / STYLES / TUTORIALS AND COSMETICS I WOULD LOVE FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fsimplycliche" class="Popup

"Shrinkage is only your hair trying to get closer to you...embrace it."
    O, medium/course, spongy, mass of beautiful curly hair

event.png

pswd rawks
    Msladii wrote: »
    I'm late..... But for you ladies in NYC I know someone who does them... She works at a salon in manhattan... Has natural hair, specializes in natural hair... All that good stuff... I went to high school with her...

I'm going to get all her info and post it here... I'm also about to get some done... So I'll let you know how it goes!

woot woot thank you

event.png

2vdmh74.jpg
  • Kadi183Kadi183 Posts: 67Registered Users
    This thread was opened a while ago but I hope someone still answers...:)
    I found out about yarn braids just yesterday and I soo badly want to get them too!!! Well, I would be doing them myself, I even already got yarn ;D The thing is, and I feel really stupid about asking that, but do you think it would look nice on "white" girls too??? In general, I don't really care if one style is somehow only "meant" to be worn by certain people/races, because in my opinion stuff like that doesn't exist and it depends more on your style, the shape of the face etc. But I heard people saying that it would just be like copying other people's style and stuff...just let me know what you think :)
    German Curlie :)
    2c/3a/3b, fine-medium, high porosity

Still figuring out what my hair wants! :P
    Loved yarn braids!!! :love7:

Mod-CG due to my fine hair and lots of time in a chlorinated pool.

No silicones!
    Recently using:
    Washing: Schauma Push-Up Volumen Shampoo, Hercut Shampoo for curls
    Conditioning: Garnier Fructis Volume, Garnier Arganoil Conditioner
    Styling: Loreal FX Gel, Nivea Flexible Curls Mousse

<3 Music <3
    Kadi183 wrote: »
    This thread was opened a while ago but I hope someone still answers...:)
    I found out about yarn braids just yesterday and I soo badly want to get them too!!! Well, I would be doing them myself, I even already got yarn ;D The thing is, and I feel really stupid about asking that, but do you think it would look nice on "white" girls too??? In general, I don't really care if one style is somehow only "meant" to be worn by certain people/races, because in my opinion stuff like that doesn't exist and it depends more on your style, the shape of the face etc. But I heard people saying that it would just be like copying other people's style and stuff...just let me know what you think :)

lol it will look jus fine on you, i get what you mean totally, people think im Jamaican because the yarn braids come out looking like dreads.:toothy3:. If your worried about the look try it on 1 peice of hair 1st, are you a blond or a brunette? i wonder if they have blondish yarn?

event.png

2vdmh74.jpg
  • Kadi183Kadi183 Posts: 67Registered Users
    The day when I found out about the braids I just did one on one strand of hair, and I kinda liked it so I just decided to do ALL my hair (took me 2 and a half days xD) and I really like the results!!! I have medium-brown hair so I just got brown yarn and it actually looks just like my hair (guess it blended in very well ^^) I guess blondes could use like beige/creme or even yellow-ish kind of yarn...;) Haha the braids actually make me look real alternative and "organic" but I don't mind, I think it's cool!!
    But how often do you wash them? And what do you use? I read some people use just regular shampoo or diluted shampoo, does all of this just rinse out? (I'm kind of sceptical because I heard so many bad stories about washing dreads, so I don't know...:P)
    German Curlie :)
    2c/3a/3b, fine-medium, high porosity

Still figuring out what my hair wants! :P
    Loved yarn braids!!! :love7:

Mod-CG due to my fine hair and lots of time in a chlorinated pool.

No silicones!
    Recently using:
    Washing: Schauma Push-Up Volumen Shampoo, Hercut Shampoo for curls
    Conditioning: Garnier Fructis Volume, Garnier Arganoil Conditioner
    Styling: Loreal FX Gel, Nivea Flexible Curls Mousse

<3 Music <3
  • TANQUE2008TANQUE2008 Posts: 1Registered Users
    No hun it is not!! I had the yarn twist that i did myself and i loved them!! Moisture is the key!!! They where really light weight and i enjoyed them. I was thinking of doing the yarn braids but i know it will take forever to take out!!
  • ShondadiniShondadini Posts: 205Registered Users
    I did my genie locs over Christmas and I loved them. They are so easy to style cuz they can be srunched to hold more shape. And the are a great way to practice braiding. They were the 1st set of braids I did on my hair and it helped alot when I recently did my box braids. Here's some pix 
    c6e4e106-089b-8479.jpg
    c6e4e106-08e1-8454.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file