CurlTalk

Shea Moisture Products: the Truth??

MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
Hey ladies. As I was lazily shopping at Target today, I ran into two lovely natural beauties and us three proceeded to have a natural hair product discussion. One lady, Joyce swore by Shea Moisture products and was adamant about the quality ingredients. So please tell me, because I had the itch to buy one product when I was there. But before we spend, we research and ask questions.

Shea Moisture : the truth?
"My hair is a reflection of my personality:
wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
BSL now
As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

Comments

• dhanksdhanks Posts: 99Registered Users
    I have tried the shampoo and conitioner for thick curly hair and the hair masque. So far so good.
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    I use the leave-in and love it, but I bought it online a couple years ago (I bought five bottles) and I am not sure if the formulation of the products in Target are the same.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    Truth?? All natural ingredients and some of them are even certified organic. I have the Shea Butter conditioning hair masque, Coconut & Hibiscus [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink], moisture mist as well as curl smoothie and they are all fabulous! Definitely encourages curl. One thing I'd say is that the smoothie needs a thin type product (like AVG or AOMM of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]) to distribute.

Plus.. the price you cant beat!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • natural_dancer86natural_dancer86 Posts: 159Registered Users
    Truth?? All natural ingredients and some of them are even certified organic. I have the Shea Butter conditioning hair masque, Coconut & Hibiscus [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink], moisture mist as well as curl smoothie and they are all fabulous! Definitely encourages curl. One thing I'd say is that the smoothie needs a thin type product (like AVG or AOMM of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]) to distribute.

Plus.. the price you cant beat!

Agreed. I luv them. Youtube has some reviews on these products.

For me these products are really good for moisture and condition.
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    I'm us these products faithfully!!! I have SheaMoisture Black Soap Cleansing shampoo, Black Soap Balancing conditioner, and the Deep Treatment Masque all these products work very good on my hair, I'm totally in love with them. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the Coconut-Hibiscus Curl line! I LOVE SHEAMOISTURE!

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • ivycharlaineivycharlaine Posts: 459Registered Users
    I absolutely LOVE the SheaMoisture curl enhancing smoothie. I smooth and rake it through my hair and then scrunch in some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on top and it has been my HG for like two weeks now. Check out my youtube channel, I did a video using it, titled 'My updated Natural Curly Hair styling routine'. The link is below. HTH :afro:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:thumbup:3c
    ***I :love5: Kinky Curly***

http://www.IvyCharlaine.com

SuBsCrIbE to my YouTube channel for all things hair and more
    www.youtube.com/ivycharlaine

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIvycharlaine%2F" class="Popup

event.png
  • VoodooVixenVoodooVixen Posts: 44Registered Users
    That curl enhancing smoothie is a summer godsend! It holds just enough, stays soft, and moisturizes. I put it on wet hair for cowashes and twists. I've been recommending it to people who are looking for a good light product.

The shea shampoo? Ridiculous! Best shampoo i've ever used, and I've used a lot. I still use another shampoo to clarify now and then since the cleanser in this one is very mild.

I have the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] and curl mist too. The mist is ok. Its good for refreshing in the morn, but its a little sticky. I keep using it though, so that means it must not bee too bad. also the milk I still use, but I keep thinking there's something better out there.
    BC'd 6/5/2010
    Last relaxed 5/16/2009 :D
    Mostly 4a
    Products in rotation:
    V05 Cowash, Aveda Damage Remedy intensive treatment, Phytodensium mask, Shea moisture, AOHC, and so on

fotki.com/lycrafancypants/

age.png
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    i love the raw shea collection but im also going to try coconut hibiscus line; its got protein in it. my hair loves that stuff.
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • Kat718Kat718 Posts: 73Registered Users
    I love Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque! Great results, smell and consistency. I have been using it as a leave-in as well and my feels so moisturized. The price is so reasonable considering the ingredients are great. I will be trying the conditioning milk as soon as my Jane Carter's nourish and shine runs out (I'm a recovering product junky- a side effect of being a transitioner).
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I love the stuff too...I get it at target and am pleased with the curl milk, curl enhancing smoothie, shea shampoo, and restorative condish. would like to try the curl and hold smoothie....I need a bit more hold than the curl enhancing smoothie provides. Have not been able to catch that product yet, though.
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    has anyone tried the deep treatment masque as a wash out deep conditioner? What were your results?:laughing6:
  • tonsofcurlztonsofcurlz Posts: 323Registered Users
    has anyone tried the deep treatment masque as a wash out deep conditioner? What were your results?:laughing6:

I did and I hated it. It left a residue of some kind on my hair. It wasn't something that I could see... it was as though it didn't rinse clean. I've been wanting to try it again or to leave it on overnight hoping that it might soak in. I'm afraid to, though, because I don't want that horrible coating on my hair after rinsing.
    3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
    Low Poos:
    MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
    Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
    Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iherb.com" class="Popup. Use discount code: SOF540.
  • warfield1202warfield1202 Posts: 27Registered Users
    I love it. This is the 1st product I've used since starting my transitioning and I love it... My hair is moist and that price is awesome......
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    I really like the Shea Moisture DTM. It left my hair soft, fluffy and fragrant. It is a wonderful DC. I thought AO HSR Conditioner was the only DC for me but there is room in my heart for the Shea Moisture DTM.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    I just picked up the coconut & hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie. It has silk protein in it (I wasn't paying attention because my hair doesn't like protein) but surprisingly this doesn't have any negative effects. It is a little too thick for me, too much shea for my liking. I have to apply with a soft hand as too much made my hair feel greasy and filmy (regular shea does the same). I have no bad things to say though. My next purchase will be for something lighter like a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] and without silk protein.
  • jineatjineat Posts: 6Registered Users
    I use the Brilliant Curl Shampoo and Blacksoap Balancing Conditioner and Conditioning Styling Milk.
    It keeps my curls soft and bouncy.:blob8:
  • 4bcurlygirl4bcurlygirl Posts: 123Registered Users
    Ive been using the curl enhancing smoothie as a moisturizer for a month now and I have to say I love it, the DTM by itself did not do it for my hair I have to mix it with some evoo/evco and a lighter conditioner Im not sure if I'll be getting the DTM again (and it smells so good), but the CES I will be getting again its makes my hair so soft just like qhemet's but i can get it offline and its only $10. I have the shampoo (shea butter line) also but havent used it yet. :afro:
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    I'm Late!!! but I'm glad I jumped on it. I purchased over the weekend the Coconut & Hibiscus poo w/ the Hair Milk. Oh Emm Gee the poo is the BOMB!!!:thumright: Left my hair super soft, NOT stripped feeling @ ALL. Detangling was a breeze. Didn't try the hair milk yet but will soon.

Was sooo impressed I went out to another Target and got the Shea Moisture poo & the Organic Black Soap poo...I'm currently looking for the Yucca & Aloe poo, Sold out every where...
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    I used the Shea Moisture DTM to finger detangle and DC yesterday night. I left some in and added a little EVCO on top. It worked very well. My hair is soft and smells good. I :love10: it as a DC AND a leave in. The sad thing is...I'm almost done with it. :hmph: I'll have to run to Target soon to pick some up.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • LadyAshley7LadyAshley7 Posts: 48Registered Users
    I actually like using the Shea Moisture DT as a styling product, lol. I feel like it doesn't really do anything, as a DT for me personally. I do love the Shea Moisture Shampoo! The only shampoo I use, so far; it's just that great! I plan on trying the Coconut & Hibiscus brands...if Target ever stops selling out!!!
    3c with a mix of 4a. BC'd February 5, 2011!!! :happy8:

Shampoo/Co-washing: Shea Moisture-Moisture Retention Shampoo; Shea Moisture- Coconut Hibiscus Curling Control Shampoo
    Deep Treatment: Shea Moisture Intensive Treatment
    Leave-in Conditoner: Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia; Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme.
    Styling Products: Karen's Body Beautiful Butter Love; Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie; Jane Carter Wrap & Roll
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    The SM Moisture Retention Shampoo has become my HG. I've been using it for 2 months and the first bottle is almost gone, that's a first for me on lo-poos since going CG.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • emartini04emartini04 Posts: 7Registered Users
    I loveeeee the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It's very moisturizing and define your curls to the max. I only use this product during the warm weather since its packed with vegetable glycerin which dries my hair pretty bad during the cold winter months. What I also like about this product - I get great second and third day hair.

Definitely worth a try girl. Purchase the product!!!
    My hair texture is a mixture of 3a/3b/3c with a slight touch of 4a curls. My hair regime:

DC with TJ Nourish and Spa mixed with EVOO and EVCO.
    Co wash with TJ Nourish and Spa 2x a week.
    1x a week I do an ACV rinse.
    Leave in conditioner is Curls Sublime conditioner and seal moisture with EVOO then style or twist hair with Jane Carter Nourish and Shine.
  • rthomas129rthomas129 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am currently using the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and the Reconstructive Elixer. Both products provide amazing moisture but they both tend to have a pretty greasy feel. If the greasy feeling of products bother you then these might not be the products for you. On the up side, when you read the ingredients it has lots of natural oils and certified organic ingredients.

I use the Smoothie on wet hair and I use the Reconstructive Elixer daily and at night on dry hair along with a few spritzes of Infusium 23 and water. One trick I learned is to moisturize my hair at night with the Elixer and then cover my hair with a plastic cap....not a satin cap but a plastic cap. You hair will steam all night from your body heat and your hair will be unbelievably soft in the morning.
  • Curly83Curly83 Posts: 140Registered Users
    I'm in such envy of you ladies right now..lol.

I just knew Shea Moisture was going to be my HG. I tried the Raw Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo and Conditioner and my scalp doesn't like either.

My hair gets dry very qucikly so I think I'm going to go back to baking soda clarifying instead of shampooing. Also, my hair couldn't take the coconut..my ends went crazy.
    BC Oct 08
    3c/4a
    Protein Sensitive
    Poo: SheaMoisture Retention Shampoo
    Co-wash: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Condish
    DT: Qhemet AOHC
    Stylers: Qhemet Honey Bush Gel or SheaMoisture Deep Masque Treatment
  • BeMoreBeMore Posts: 63Registered Users
    I use the Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo and the Conditioning Curl and Style Milk and boy are they great. I tried the Curl Enhancing Smoothie and it didn't work as well as the milk for me. Perhaps I used too much and it over powered my styling product? Not too sure, but the Milk is just perfect! And the shampoo is fabulous as well, cleans my hair nicely without leaving it feeling dry.

Since making the switch to this line (as well as other purely organic products) my normally dry hair as been completely soft, smooth, frizzless, and most importantly, moisturized!
    Texturizer
    Co-wash: Desert Essence Jojoba Body Boosting/CJDF
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
    DT: Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Oils: Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel, Avocado, Coconut
  • NaturalReviewNaturalReview Posts: 91Registered Users
    I wrote a review of the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I liked it. So far, I haven't tried other Shea Moisture products, but I plan to.

www.naturalreviewbyl.com
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    for those of you that like the curl and style milk try the Yucca conditioner as a leave in.. similar results (I actually like it better) and more bang for your buck.

Agreed with BeMore, i also love that with the natural products the ingredients are easy to read and recognize.. im at the point where I can read them and tell how my hair will react to it before I use it for the most part.
    Or.. what it compares to!

P.s. the Yucca Shampoo is a winner!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • mscounselormscounselor Posts: 23Registered Users
    Curly83 wrote: »

I just knew Shea Moisture was going to be my HG. I tried the Raw Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo and Conditioner and my scalp doesn't like either.

My hair gets dry very qucikly so I think I'm going to go back to baking soda clarifying instead of shampooing. Also, my hair couldn't take the coconut..my ends went crazy.

I agree! My scalp seems to have a lot of buildup and my dermatitis is upset with me!:angry4: Need to find something else now...at least I didnt pay alot of money for it.
    Hair Type: 4a
    3 year natural: 3/09/07-3/09/10:p
    Courage is the ability to surpass your fears to become excellent.
    -original-
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    Curly83 wrote: »

I agree! My scalp seems to have a lot of buildup and my dermatitis is upset with me!:angry4: Need to find something else now...at least I didnt pay alot of money for it.
    @mscounselor: have you tried the Black Soap Balancing Shampoo by Shea Moisture? I liked the Raw Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo for my hair, but my SCALP said it needed the Black Soap shampoo. it didn't dry my hair out and really put the dermatitis back in check.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • kitka82kitka82 Posts: 35Registered Users

I currently use the DTM as a deep condish, and it leaves my hair sooooooo soft. I apply it to my hair, cover with plastic cap, and wrap a towel around my head to lock the heat in. No dryer-- my hair hates heat treatments. I only leave the condish in for an hour--max. Rinse with lukewarm water (not cold and not warm), and my hair feels soft and moisturized. Good stuff.

I don't like the curl enhancing smoothie. Too much protein, me thinks.